Author Topic: Tabletop Game Thread  (Read 63229 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Tabletop Game Thread
« Reply #255 on: August 25, 2016, 03:38:05 pm »
Things went... Surprisingly well despite the "accidents."

Some players didn't make it and one who wasn't on the mission previously came in this time (Lucky Smith the Demolition/sniper-dude.) The team waited until everyone was asleep and then left to find incriminating evidence on the presence of Shedim. Smith snuck into the cult HQ to meet the others and followed the cult leader and his (probably) Shedim buddies into a secret room deep beneath the temple (the entrance was behind the altar because of course it was.) My character and the Decker tried to sneak into the rooms of the Elders but were seen by a random cultist and rather than trying any of the dozen solutions that do not include cutting the (presumably) innocent man into pieces with a monofilament whip the Decker decided to cut the man into pieces with a monofilament whip.

Unfortunately his (brief but high pitched) scream might have woken up someone so we instead went to meet the others at the temple. Few attempts were made to get the incriminating evidence from the cult leaders' Comms but the Decker repeatedly failed at disarming the databomb. After few calls to the Johnson to notify him (and finally a successful spell that revealed that the four human's in the inner sanctum were actually walking corpses) we got the permission to "deal" with the situation. ...We didn't have enough evidence to convince the Knight Errant but our word was good enough for Johnson so we started discussing possible methods to deal with space-vampire-demons from another dimension. One way or another all the plans seemed to involve the 2.5kg of C4 Smith was carrying on him because he was the kind of person who didn't go anywhere without explosives...

We did have some contingencies just in case the explosion and the ensuing burial deep underground wasn't enough to permanently kill the Shedim but based on what my character knew about them merely destroying the body could be enough and if it wasn't it would force them into the astral plane where they would die unless they found a new metahuman body soon enough ...Luckily getting trapped underground was also likely to slow them down long enough that they would starve and die. Also the cultists were trapped in their rooms (hopefully) sufficiently far from the site of destruction to not give fresh bodies to the Shedim.

Actually Smith made the bomb so well (Push the limit with 7 Edge!) that the explosion actually raised the background count for magic which would also help harming the Shedim if they survived that long.

The lone Lone star guard who was the only person up and about came running to the scene but he was quickly knocked unconscious.

Afterwards the emergency crew found a large supply of weapons and explosives from the site and after further investigations it turned out that the Master-Shemdim was planning to use the cult to do a suicide attack against a local satanist group, causing dozens if not hundreds of deaths and then open a portal to draw in Shedim to possess the bodies.

Another job well done. (Apart from one completely pointless and easily avoidable civilian casualty.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #256 on: August 26, 2016, 10:03:37 am »
Until Brett gets his hand 100% our Shadowrun games are kinda offline at the moment.  Though I think I might add an autocannon to my Steel Lynx drone just to have enemies shit their pants when that rolls up.

Ironbite-but for now it's Rise of the Runelords so that's fun.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #257 on: September 03, 2016, 03:45:19 pm »
This time we captured a Vory soldier so that we could mind-probe him and find out details for our mission and then realized that we need to let him go, alive or dead and if we do this wrong it could jeopardize our mission.

...We wanted a armorer/gun-dealer contact and our Fixer did manage to find one but he wants us to do a job in return for his extended services. The Vory are bringing in guns to Seattle and he is afraid that they put him out of business so we need to make a weapon shipment disappear. Destroyed, stolen or confiscated by KE, all is fine as long as the cheap guns won't flood the market in Seattle. And our current plan of "let's just stick some explosives on it, look at the pretty fireball from distance and call it a day like we usually do" requires us to know exactly where and when the guns are coming in. Which we did find out from the Vory goon.

It remains to be seen how well the actual mission goes or if the Vory realize that their guy disappearing puts this smuggling operation to risk.

And I really need to explain how we kidnapped him:

We managed to buy info of a bar that Vory goons often use. Our Decker hacked into the comms of the Vory inside and though there wasn't enough incriminating evidence to make a case for the KE to get the shipment (which would be a boring option but I am in favour of doing things the smart way and it could have solved the problem with very little risk for us. Then again, who knows if the KE have been bribed to keep away from Vory operations?) So, plan B: Kidnap one of them and question him. Our Street samurai was outside waiting to grab a guy who comes out and the Decker looks for a suitable victim. Having found one he checks his comms for a wife/girlfriend and forges a text message from her demanding the dude to come back home.

Vory goon: "*BLEEB* you *BLEEB* I am drinking with the boys!"

Decker sent a few more messages with the GF threatening to dump the guy which resulted in angrier replies but no success.

Me:"Does his Comms have any pictures of a pet or favourite Balalaika or something?
GM:"He does have a cat."
Decker:"I send a message saying '...And I am taking the cat."
GM:*rolls dice* "He gets up roaring angrily in Russian and runs for the door."

Then we just ganged up on him at the parking lot and threw him in our van.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #258 on: September 08, 2016, 08:42:26 am »
God damn that was a satisfying fight.  Tight corridor, 8 enemies, no healer, not a single party member went down.  We mostly look like abused meat at the end of it but we did it.

Ironbite-and love Rise of the Runelords.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #259 on: September 09, 2016, 01:20:37 am »
Likewise.

Our original plan of "destroy the shipment of guns" was relegated to "plan B" because my character has a contact in Sioux Nation intelligence service who was not only interested in getting a lot of illegal weapons but was also willing to pay for them AND able to find a way to smuggle them out of Seattle at a days notice.

We found out where the truck that was supposed to be used for transportation was kept at and decided to rig it with explosives (if we can't steal the cargo we could at least destroy it as was originally planned) and stealth tags so that we could track it, except that there were two of those trucks... In the end we rigged one with explosives and both with tags. We would hijack the truck that doesn't have a bomb and if it did not contain the guns the bomb would take care of the other one.

The actual hijacking was a fun fight. Special highlights:

-The fight was in poor light conditions during a terrible rainstorm meaning that everyone had huge penalties and were barely hitting anything.

-Our Street samurai insists on using javelings for ranged combat and nails the driver of the truck through the car with one throw.

-Our demolitions expert "Lucky" Smith finally triggered his "Bad Luck" trait as he tried to fire a grenade launcher at a car full of Vory goons. Instead of hitting the car he hit one of OUR cars that was in front of him (with three PCs inside it.) There was a lot of screams and panic until the GM realized that this meant that the grenade won't go off because it hit a target less than 5 meters after launch and the safety won't let it explode. ...Lucky bastard.

-The mage and the shaman used a lot of fire spells. Almost exclusively because the fire spells (and one angry Fire spirit) were their only useful attack spells (mana and stun spells would do nothing when you can't see your targets.) They were still able to blow up one car with a fireball killing 5 goons, ignite the batteries of another torching 1 goon who couldn't get out fast enough and the Fire spirit caused severe pants wetting by engulfing one of the cars.

-Lucky Smith was now free to use Edge without restraint and blew up a third car and the goons that had just managed to get out of it.

-Most of the goons decide to get the hell out of there and the few remaining ones dropped their guns and ran after a few threats and one javeling thrown through a car appearing between the legs of the Vory handling the negotiations.

-Realizing that losing one shipment the Vory would probably do something with the bomb rigged truck. Our estimations were:
a) "Let's take it to our storage room beneath the Puppy store & Orphanage with all those kids and puppies who are not resistant to high explosives, no one will ever think of looking for it there."
b) "Let's take it to our most secure location, the drug lab with all those highly flammable drugs and chemicals, it'll be safe there."
c) "Let's take it to the warehouse with all our other valuable goods, it'll be safe there."

-Deciding that none of those sound good we grabbed a comms from a dead Vory and sent an sms to the others telling them about the bomb. We got a "FUCK YOU GUYS! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!!?!?!!!?!!?" back.

-The shipment was taken to a warehouse that had a huge tarp that blocks all signals and several armed Sioux in civilian clothing but acting like professional soldiers. The rest of the team does not know who the contact is so they are a bit worried that the guns may be going to some terrorist organization (knowing how intelligence services usually work, they might not be wrong.) The cargo was worth approx 2 million Nuyen and the team got 10% of that.

So, we got 40k each, some Karma and two happy contacts, one of which was brand new. And the only downside is that one of the meanest organizations in Seattle hates the team and is actively looking to have them killed. Yay!

EDIT: Forgot one thing, there was a point where a mage on the team said that he is going to summon his fire spirit into a car and have him manifest there and attack everyone. At first he planned to have it engulf the driver and I nearly choked with laughter.

When I was finally calm enough I managed to explain that the situation is basically the reverse of "Jesus take the wheel!" If a fiery being from another world suddenly appears inside a car and eats/possesses your driver then it is basically "Satan take the wheel!"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 03:04:54 am by Askold »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #260 on: September 23, 2016, 04:14:54 am »
I am seriously contemplating running a Dark Heresy 2nd edition campaign on Roll20. It would mainly happen on Necromunda because I want to avoid the constant planet hopping that usually happens in Scifi.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #261 on: October 08, 2016, 05:08:30 pm »
I hate being the only poster here...

My shaman got a quest from his totem spirit. He was told that a fellow Bear shaman by the name of Whakan is in danger and he must keep Whakan alive.

But no details on what that threat is...

He managed to recruit some of his team members (with the promise that if nothing else is gained from his job he will pay them with whatever savings he has got.) Luckily turned out that Whakan Care-bear was a researcher for an A ranked corporation and after contacting him the corporation agreed to hire us as bodyguards... They did make a magical check to make sure that we weren't bullshitting them but apparently they had a reason to believe that this particular researcher might in fact be in a real danger. They were researching metaplanes and knew that every now and then something on those planes would not appreciate their work. They didn't tell the Shadowrunners anything of course, we had to lean on Whakan pretty hard to make him talk but after we managed to find out that his mysterious enemy had hired another team of runners Whakan finally told us what he knew.

We also found out that instead of coming in to kill Whakan personally they tricked the boss of a Go-Gang that Whakan had been sleeping with the bosses girl friend.

...And then our mage and Mr. "Lucky" Smith went and fucked up their recon mission. They were discovered while one of them was trying to climb to a roof across the street from a SHADOWRUNNER-BAR! Because of course the bar had security systems that would notice something like that. ...And of course Smith revealed that he was going there to spy on another team of runners.

Eventually my character (who is by now the main-Face of the team despite lacking social skills, but being the only player who bothers to attempt diplomacy and having a high charisma stat on the character he kinda had to take that spot from the main Face who hasn't been in the game for a while now) managed to negotiate a meeting with the other team in a neutral location. We would bring in Mr. Care-bear and the other team and their mysterious new runner "Joe" (who was from the metaplane but masquerading as a human) would settle his grudge with Care-Bear without killing him.

Fun facts: Smith was the only one who managed to realize that "Joe" is from the other plane. Because he got 8 successes on a Perception test while the Mage and the Shaman failed to see anything weird when astrally Assessing Joe. So during our first meeting we had one guy babbling about how there's something off about Joe because his sneakers have a picture of a lion instead of a puma... I mean, the rest of us were pretty sure that this was in fact true but as far as evidence goes counterfeit shoes are not particularly convincing. (The metaplane is much like the Shadowrun-Earth but it has different Megacorporations. So those sneakers were proof that they were from the shoe company that is their equivalent of Puma on Earth.)

Also, Smith was the only one who realized that the other team was lying when they claimed that they would not try to kill Whakan. But he is a pathological liar (it's a character flaw his character has) so no one believed him.

The meeting was at another Shadowrunner bar but while waiting outside my Shaman and our Decker got some machinegun fire from the other team who got a bit too trigger happy while preparing their ambush. So instead we just ducked inside, called off the meeting and snuck back to our safehouse to plan how to hunt down and kill Joe, since he was the main problem.

Instead we managed to fail yet again and the other team had been able to track us down to the safehouse...

First they sent in the Go-Gang and we gave them a full broadside. Through the wall of the building mainly. Automatic fire with APDS ammo goes through the wall pretty easily, our Street samurai got on the roof and nailed the lieutenants of the gang with his javelins (because guns are for wusses) and while patching up the lone survivor we were surprised by the other team that had been using the commotion as a distraction and came in from the back...

The sammy got hit by machinegun fire which he shrugged off. The airburst grenade on the other hand... That one hurt. Their mage threw a Force 12 fireball and I learned that counterspelling it means that my shaman has to resist PHYSICAL drain damage. The most severe injury so far came from him stopping that spell from destroying the safehouse. At that point he had had enough of this bullshit and he cast Force 12 ball lightning AND burnt a point of edge on that spell. It took out the entire opposing team. (I fear that my character is taking the spotlight too much in the game and will try to hold back from now on.)

Eventually I calculated that my character benefited from the run only barely because burning Edge is so damn expensive. He lost on Karma on that and the money from the run was less than what we get on average but at least he succeeded on a mission from his totem and got a new contact.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #262 on: October 08, 2016, 05:15:39 pm »
Well I haven't played in a few weeks and I don't want to post my Rise of the Runelords posts.

Rather show you the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrogm6G-Ocke1o6M6YfTfaQivRGFOKVQ8

Ironbite-enjoy.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #263 on: October 09, 2016, 01:03:21 pm »
Apparently I hate my wallet, because i've decided to start a Horus Heresy army. Thank goodness for the plastic MK4 Marines…

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #264 on: October 09, 2016, 05:33:03 pm »
Well, the good news is that those 30k models can be used in 40k with the exception of a few pieces of wargear. Depending on what legion you're building (Space Wolves, Blood Angels, you can make an argument for Ultramarines), it wouldn't even be that out of place to see marines in MK IV armor in a 40k setting. Same with the MK III plastics that are coming in the next boxed game (based on the Battle of Prospero, so Thousand Sons vs Space Wolves and Custodes).
Who needs a signature?

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #265 on: October 09, 2016, 07:23:04 pm »
We played the Battlestar Galactica board game after a long break on the weekend. Not using the Cylon Fleet board this time really changed the game from what we have gotten used to. With the Cylon attacks coming with random intervals from the Crisis cards instead of the steady accumulation of ships on the Cylon Fleet board the game lost some tactical calculating while gained on the atmosphere, the aspect of surprise and "we're so fucked" panic. Just when we were on the height of the said panic President Baltar revealed himself as a Cylon sabotaging the jump calculations which left us trapped in the middle of a huge Cylon fleet.

I as Chief Tyrol had barely time to repair the damage Galactica had got from a nice hit it before Admiral Gaeta also revealed himself and sent me to the Brig. Luckily neither of our leaders had the chance to fuck the rest of us with their special powers before revealing their true nature. Unfortunately the reason for this was that the Crisis cards were already screwing us thoroughly and the Quorum Card the treacherous President Baltar had and which he left for his successor Ellen Tigh was useless so this was of little comfort.

Galactica took two more hits destroying the FTL control and the Flight Deck which meant we couldn't launch any more Vipers to defend the Battlestar and the civilian ships nor could we make a panic jump and had to wait for the automatic jump to kick in. To top this the other two human players lost almost all of their skill cards which meant we had no chance to make the skill check to release me from the brig. By the time the newly appointed Admiral Starbuck had fixed the Flight Deck herself and launched to the space in a Viper it was too late. The normal Raiders had damaged or destroyed all the other Vipers leaving her alone in the space and she couldn't stop the Heavy Raiders from reaching Galactica. I think for the first time ever we had the maximum of four Centurions boarding the Battlestar at the same time.

I did get myself out of the Brig with my second attempt but the situation had been hopeless for several turns. With the Crisis cards hating us and both Cylons having been aware of their nature from the beginning instead of being sleeper agents the game was hopeless for us humans. I remember only one game where the Humans were trounced worse. With two revealed Toasters making sure the Centurions kept advancing they had no difficulties making their way to the environmental controls and venting the atmosphere from the Battlestar.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #266 on: October 15, 2016, 03:00:09 am »
Ha Ha!

We had a short mission now with just three players. The team owed a favour to a Fixer who got them a safe house (which then got shot full of holes during a gunfight, had the roof blown open by a grenade and eventually the entire building was blown up along with the 15 or so bodies of the enemies that tried to kill the team. Because fuck leaving any evidence behind for the pawns.) and were recruited for a mission that had to be done ASAP. My character tried to haggle for a higher pay cut from the Johnson but got a critical glitch instead, which set the mood for this particular mission.

So there they were, a human Decker with a severe addiction on cybernetics, a dwarven street samurai who likes to kill people with his katana (when he doesn't simply punch them to death) and a native American shaman. On a quest to an ARES blacksite that had gone dark to rescue one of the researchers there. (Note, the Johnson was most likely working for another corporation and the researcher had been their informant inside ARES. Or that might have been just another false lead for us to uncover.)

Most of the mission was basically that bit in Aliens just before the xenomorphs show up. Sneaking around in a facility, finding dead -partially eaten- bodies, guards that had committed suicide after shutting down everything in the facility, a lone dog with some kind of built in sonar (The dwarf kicked it to death as soon as he saw it. Believing that it might have been one of the creatures that had killed the crew.) and eventually a room full of corpses that had done a fighting retreat to a dead end and locked themselves into a room before bleeding to death. Early in the mission my shaman had loaded his shotgun with Flechette ammo so that he could shoot into melee without fear of accidentally harming the street sam (who would merely laugh at flechette) but soon he switched it for slug ammo for better armour penetration.

As soon as the trio had left that room they were attacked by some kind of invisible creature. The Deckers radar couldn't see a thing but he just managed to dodge a blow that could have torn off his head. The dwarf could just make out a large form with the sonar built into his helmet. The shaman's astral vision could clearly see the massive gorilla wearing a milspec armour and covered in Ruthenium or something. Also, it had very little Essence but no cyber visible in Astral. Meaning that it was full of bioware.

The Gorilla was faster than anyone else in the room and took the Decker into a grapple, the dwarf took a hit of Kamikaze to make himself stronger and the shaman -deciding that his shotgun wouldn't have enough penetration to pierce the armour on the gorilla- fired a Force 12 flamethrower at the gorilla. That went through the armour. It didn't kill the thing, but it sure made it angry. The gorilla proceeded to punch the shaman through a metal door. (One point of Edge had to be burnt for him to survive it.)

Luckily the spell had damaged the Ruthenium coating enough to make the gorilla visible for the other team. The dwarf-sammy took a hit that nearly killed him and during the rest of the fight had to burn 3 points of Edge. One for dodging an attack that would have killed him and 2 on his own attacks to make sure that the gorilla won't dodge them. The Decker didn't have anything strong enough to really harm the gorilla but luckily the Sammy's last point of Edge let him kill the gorilla with his katana. (Note, the sammy started the fight with one point of edge and always bought a new point after burning it. So it was "only" 10 points of Karma spent during the fight.)

I had to leave at this point but apparently the rest of the mission went well and they managed to evac the researcher. Also, they dragged the shaman out of the facility rather than leave him there and share the bounty just between the two of them.

All in all, the team got 80k reward plus 7 points of Karma each. Meaning that despite using up so much Karma it was still a net gain since we are using the Missions rule that lets you "buy" Karma with Nuyen or Nuyen with Karma.

That was fun.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #267 on: October 19, 2016, 01:25:43 pm »
There was one of those big D&D events at the game story last Saturday.  We were trying to join a social club/monster-slaying organization called the Delvers.  It got weird.

I was a charlatan rogue named Alex Crow (lol so original).  There were murders; I sneak-attacked the fuck out of things; there was a guy whose animal companion was a pigeon that thought it was a phoenix.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #268 on: October 20, 2016, 02:31:14 pm »
Oh my god last night's Rise of the Runelords session was off the chart awesome.  Plenty of roleplaying and just some great stuff.

Ironbite-soon as it's uploaded, I'll throw it down here cause it's so great.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #269 on: October 20, 2016, 05:14:16 pm »
Things got tricky.

Our Dwarf-street sam got knocked out and kidnapped and when he woke up he was face to face with HANS BRACKHAUS.

Brackhaus interrogated sammy and finally offered him a considerable reward for the return of a comms that belongs to Brackhaus (or his employers.) The comms was last seen in the hands of the VIP that was rescued in the previous mission.

Since making a deal with the dragon is slightly less dangerous than refusing the deal the team now has to find that damn gadget.

Finding the VIP was surprisingly quick. He hadn't even left the town. ...Granted this was because he had ended up dead in some motel room with a ladyfriend so this didn't really help the team. KE has the deaths written down as suicide but there were some shady stuff about it and it is likely to be an assassination. Which is actually understandable as they mainly have family reasons or jobs that require too much time.)