Author Topic: Tabletop Game Thread  (Read 63438 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Tabletop Game Thread
« Reply #225 on: August 04, 2016, 09:30:52 pm »
Hey man.  We should've been party wiped on that job but we weren't.  And I lost most of my combat drones.

Ironbite-made up for it with the money we got on the job but boy howdy that was tough.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #226 on: August 05, 2016, 12:18:27 am »
One guy in the team actually suggested that we kidnap some random dude to pose as the person that needs to be tortured, strap a bomb on him and then when the torturer is about to go to work on him blow them up. The GM later laughed at us saying that that had been the best idea we had all night but we ignored it. Two of the characters voted against the idea of killing an innocent person and narrowly won the vote.

A player who wasn't taking part in the game also complained because his ideas are always death, torture and EXPLOSIONS! and he liked the idea, so if he had been in the game that idea might have been the one we used.

...But seeing as our ambush failed because of the decker being trigger happy it didn't even matter.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #227 on: August 05, 2016, 04:52:52 am »
Hey, I have a question for gamers here. 

I'm tweaking some fantasy RPG rules so I can play some old AD&D modules solo (I found a whole site of them in pdf form) and I was creating some character classes. 

However, I'm not sure what to call one class.  It's a healer/rogue mix, and I picture it to be someone who uses long-range attacks and stealth to get to and help allies in need.  Unlike the cleric or priest, who is packed with armor and blunt weapons, this person would have to sneak around and strike at a distance before administering aid.

Any ideas on what I can call this class?  I'd rather avoid using 'healer,' 'priest,' or shadow' in the name since I use those for other classes.

Thanks.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #228 on: August 05, 2016, 07:13:12 am »
Well I was going to say Shadowhealer but if that isn't good enough for you...

Combat-medic? Mending-scout? Surgeon-ranger?

What were those ninja-medics called in Naruto?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 07:14:50 am by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #229 on: August 05, 2016, 08:58:23 am »
Ninjas.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #230 on: August 05, 2016, 09:57:21 am »
Medic-nin, if memory serves.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #231 on: August 05, 2016, 09:57:39 am »
Healer rouge mix. hmmm.

Oh heaps of hospitals have those, they're doctors and nurses who nick drugs to get high.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #232 on: August 05, 2016, 12:10:48 pm »
Shadow Priest? Could also call them something more awesome like Dark Acolyte or something.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #233 on: August 05, 2016, 03:44:07 pm »
Thanks everyone!

I forgot all about scouts.  I was thinking Mystic Scout, or just Mystic or Scout, I'm not sure.  The only reason I didn't want to use the word, 'Shadow,' is I already have Shadow Caster (rogue-mage mix), and i'm trying to avoid using the same name for multiple classes.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #234 on: August 05, 2016, 03:53:11 pm »
I think that a rogue combined with a healer is more likely to be some kind of military scout or a ranger rather than a thief. Thieves would of course need bonesaws and other healers as well but they have no need to bring them into fights unlike a fighting unit that is likely to want "combat medics" even if they do the healing with magic rather than bandages and stitches.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #235 on: August 05, 2016, 04:41:31 pm »
That's what I was thinking; military scout; sneaking onto the battlefield and keeping enemies at bay to heal allies.

Thanks.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #236 on: August 06, 2016, 01:16:16 am »

So this is a thing. I don't know who else cares about X-Wing, but here we have the TIE Fighter of all things becoming a cross-faction ship... to the Rebel side. I figured if if any TIE was going to be cross-faction, it would be with Scum and Villainy.
Who needs a signature?

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #237 on: August 06, 2016, 03:34:20 am »
Wait a second.  That TIE looks familiar

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #238 on: August 06, 2016, 04:10:07 am »
Not really surprising honestly. At least in the old EU canon was that many of the Rebel ships were stolen from the Empire, usually the defecting crew brought them with them.

EDIT: I have recently been informed that DnD is a game that is actually about teaching the very principles of Jewish religion to people.

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-life-and-religion/159632/dungeons-dragons
In the best tradition of rabbinic Judaism, we were studying in a small group, with an authoritative but by no means infallible scholar as our guide. We were being told a story—all good Dungeon Masters craft compelling ones, often based on existing campaigns but sometimes largely innovative—and the only way for us to follow that story, to be a part of it, was by following the rules. Or not following them: In the proud Jewish tradition of questioning and defiance, D&D allowed for, even encouraged, players to query one another, to cast doubt, to demand satisfaction. It provided a codex but acknowledged that the game only got interesting when players sought to interpret, adapt, or reject the rules, not follow them blindly. It offered clearly prescribed campaigns but allowed both human ingenuity and blind luck, represented by all those funky dice, to meddle with and reshape destiny. You don’t have to be a rabbi to realize that these are precisely the things religion does; in Avi’s room, strewn with pizza crusts and thoughts of monsters, we got the finest theological education.

...Assuming that the base of Jewish religion is arguing about rules and abusing them for your own benefit. The article has an example where a player tries to hit a monster but fails. The players complain and go through the rules finding out that the stats of the creature clearly prove that it should have been killed by the attack, the DM defends by explaining that the party is so powerful that he wanted to give them a bit of challenge by throwing a stronger variant of the creature against them. The players whine until the DM relents and everyone gains a level in "Jewish bickering and rules-lawyering."

I for one would have accepted that individual creatures may be tougher than what the standard stats say and besides reading the stats is metainformation and I don't think the players should abuse such knowledge (Meaning, knowing that a creature has armour and that my weapon usual might not penetrate it and therefore using something else is ok but comparing the exact stats and comparing them to make the 100% optimal choice for each situation is kinda cheating.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 05:41:51 am by Askold »

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #239 on: August 06, 2016, 05:16:52 pm »
Not really surprising honestly. At least in the old EU canon was that many of the Rebel ships were stolen from the Empire, usually the defecting crew brought them with them.

This is true, but usually captured TIE Fighters are used for training purposes. Notice that all four pilot cards for this TIE have dots next to their names. This means that only one copy of each of these cards can be used in a list. The max amount of TIE Fighters the Rebels will be able to use is four. The only other ship without any generic pilots is the ARC-170, and the explanation for that one is that ARC-170s that are still combat ready are hard to find and, as such, the Rebels have access to only a small number of them.
Who needs a signature?