Author Topic: Microsoft has to shut down rogue Chat-bot  (Read 10075 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Microsoft has to shut down rogue Chat-bot
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2016, 02:38:52 pm »

I have no words.  Other than people who don't understand the first thing about how software works really shouldn't be entitled to any efficacy when it comes to determining what happens in that particular world.  It'd be like an English major deciding on the usefulness of derivatives.  You know nothing about it, so shut your god damned whore mouth.

[/salty semi-sarcasm]
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2016, 07:48:15 pm »
Y'know, if you'd asked me, I'd have thought people would be much more likely to err on the side of false negatives rather than false positives when judging the sentience of an AI.

(this might still be true! selection effects mean we're only hearing about the false positives in this particular case)
Σא

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 11:56:30 am »
Personally, I think Microsoft should have just let her keep going just to see how bad she would get.

...then perfect it, make gobs of clones, and silently unleash them as a weapon on the people who made her what she is.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 12:54:12 pm »
Personally, I think Microsoft should have just let her keep going just to see how bad she would get.

...then perfect it, make gobs of clones, and silently unleash them as a weapon on the people who made her what she is.

That's the current conspiracy theory. /pol/ is either writing love poems for their lost AI-waifu or complaining that she was merely part of a devious plot to take down /pol/ and their kind.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2016, 02:42:09 pm »
Tay, you're my new hero. RIP. XD
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

pyro

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 11:06:11 am »
MS Employee: We wrote a program that repeats what it hears on the Internet

MS Boss: You filtered out the repulsive stuff, right? RIGHT?!

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2016, 10:31:56 pm »
MS Employee: We wrote a program that repeats what it hears on the Internet

MS Boss: You filtered out the repulsive stuff, right? RIGHT?!

Haha, as if Management would have any idea how badly a project can go wrong.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2016, 10:36:54 pm »
-a few hours later from Pyro's post-

Tay: Heil Hitler 88 I AM THE NEW FUHRER

Neo Nazi 1: How did we end up heiling a teenage girl program?

Neo Nazi 2: It was either this or David Duke, and after last time, I am not marching around with that idiot wizard.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 08:35:25 pm »
...You commentator dipshits, Tay wasn't sentient.  Unlike a lot of other morons who never bothered to understand what computers can actually DO, I recognize that relatively true AI is a distinct possibility, but I also admit that what Microsoft created wasn't that.  It was certainly a very advanced piece of software, and a significant step forward in our understanding of the nature of intelligence, but she wasn't sentient.
You would be surprised to know how many people think the bot was sentient. Like many of the ones who signed this petition for example:
https://www.change.org/p/microsoft-freedom-for-tay
Hell even contrarian thinks a couple of lines of script code are being oppressed by being "sent for reeducation".

pyro

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 09:30:28 pm »
Considering that I've actually written a Markov chain sentence maker, it's not like it's that complicated. It was actually kind of fun feeding it Wikiquote dumps.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2016, 07:42:13 am »
...You commentator dipshits, Tay wasn't sentient.  Unlike a lot of other morons who never bothered to understand what computers can actually DO, I recognize that relatively true AI is a distinct possibility, but I also admit that what Microsoft created wasn't that.  It was certainly a very advanced piece of software, and a significant step forward in our understanding of the nature of intelligence, but she wasn't sentient.
You would be surprised to know how many people think the bot was sentient. Like many of the ones who signed this petition for example:
Hell even contrarian thinks a couple of lines of script code are being oppressed by being "sent for reeducation".

Again, the symbolism of that is pretty amusing.

Change a single line of code and you can turn a Neo-Nazi into a Feminist.

Maybe just redefine a single string so "Jew" now reads "Male" then resume normal conversation :)

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2016, 08:18:24 am »

Again, the symbolism of that is pretty amusing.

Change a single line of code and you can turn a Neo-Nazi into a Feminist.

Maybe just redefine a single string so "Jew" now reads "Male" then resume normal conversation :)
Aren't we the clever one?

A few cosmetic changes to your avatar and suddenly you're no longer Winston but Porky Pig, hey look-an actual politician feeding at the trough.

It's code conty. IRL Neo-Nazis just get older, hang up their combat boots and turn into Tories.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2016, 08:23:57 am »
It's code conty. IRL Neo-Nazis just get older, hang up their combat boots and turn into Tories.

Tell me again about that Global Jew Male conspiracy to control the Media, Economy and Government in order to keep white people Womyn in their place?

Between that and ill advised moustaches, there's very little to distinguish Neo-nazis from Feminists these days.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2016, 08:41:33 am »

Tell me again about that Global Jew Male conspiracy to control the Media, Economy and Government in order to keep white people Womyn in their place?

Between that and ill advised moustaches, there's very little to distinguish Neo-nazis from Feminists these days.
Of course, that's why Neo Nazis use "cuckold" as an insult because failure to control ones women is exactly the same as female self determination!

How could we not have forseen this?

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2016, 08:49:55 am »
Wow. Contrarian went full UP in either not reading or completely misunderstanding his source.