Author Topic: 3-D Printed Pizza...IN SPACE!  (Read 5786 times)

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
3-D Printed Pizza...IN SPACE!
« on: May 28, 2013, 06:08:45 pm »
Ladies and gentlemen, NASA has decided to develop a food replicator...of sorts. Welcome to the Age of Star Trek.

http://planetsave.com/2013/05/22/3d-printed-pizza-in-space-nasa-funds-food-replicator-for-space-station/
But many folks reading of such amazing applications have probably also wondered: what about 3D printing food, ala the ‘food replicator’ machine featured frequently on old Star Trek episodes?

Well, wonder no more, as NASA has been thinking along the same lines and has recently invested $125,000.00 in a research company called Systems & Materials Research Cooperation (SMRC) to design a 3D printer capable of printing food — specifically pizza — using 30-year “shelf stable” food stocks.

Why pizza? Well, it’s the one basic food item that has never made it into space (in any form), but, it is also a food that is amenable to how the technology works — by building up 3D objects one layer at a time. Pizza is ideal for this process in that it can be made by layering bread dough, cheese* and sauce — plus “toppings” — sequentially.

However, the food stocks used here will not be ordinary, Earth kitchen ingredients; proteins and carbohydrates will come from “base powders” (like the toner powders in your office printer) derived from grass, algae and insects.

SMRC has even higher hopes for its technology than space; the company feels it’s 3D food printing machine will be crucial to providing food security in a predicted future world of 9 billion humans (by 2050).

Is there anything this fucking technology can't do?
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: 3-D Printed Pizza...IN SPACE!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 06:10:01 pm »
I think we might as well make one big thread talking about the advancements that 3-D printers have made rather than make separate ones...just a thought.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 06:14:03 pm »
Ladies and gentlemen, NASA has decided to develop a food replicator...of sorts. Welcome to the Age of Star Trek.

http://planetsave.com/2013/05/22/3d-printed-pizza-in-space-nasa-funds-food-replicator-for-space-station/
But many folks reading of such amazing applications have probably also wondered: what about 3D printing food, ala the ‘food replicator’ machine featured frequently on old Star Trek episodes?

Well, wonder no more, as NASA has been thinking along the same lines and has recently invested $125,000.00 in a research company called Systems & Materials Research Cooperation (SMRC) to design a 3D printer capable of printing food — specifically pizza — using 30-year “shelf stable” food stocks.

Why pizza? Well, it’s the one basic food item that has never made it into space (in any form), but, it is also a food that is amenable to how the technology works — by building up 3D objects one layer at a time. Pizza is ideal for this process in that it can be made by layering bread dough, cheese* and sauce — plus “toppings” — sequentially.

However, the food stocks used here will not be ordinary, Earth kitchen ingredients; proteins and carbohydrates will come from “base powders” (like the toner powders in your office printer) derived from grass, algae and insects.

SMRC has even higher hopes for its technology than space; the company feels it’s 3D food printing machine will be crucial to providing food security in a predicted future world of 9 billion humans (by 2050).

Make the pizza taste good? Grass, algae and insect derived base powders...I love science, but I guess the fine dining restaurant work experience in me is balking at the thought :o
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 06:43:06 pm »
They need to make a salt and vinegar crisp printer.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 02:00:42 am »
Make the pizza taste good? Grass, algae and insect derived base powders...I love science, but I guess the fine dining restaurant work experience in me is balking at the thought :o
Don't be so prejudiced, just because the ingredients are what they are doesn't mean it can't taste good.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 03:08:05 am »
To note... sugarcane is a type of grass. As are many other commonly consumed plants. People the world over eat insects as a dietary staple.

Something being unusual doesn't automatically mean bad. Especially in this case, where they're talking about products refined down to their constituent elements.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 06:39:36 am »
Welcome to the Age of Star Trek.

I've heard that before. But I'm still waiting on my warp drive and transporters.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 01:55:35 pm »
Oh boy.  why can I see the anti-GMO crowd rallying against this as "unnatural" already?

Ignoring the inevitable "OMG poisoning conspiracy!" side for a moment, I have to say this is pretty neat.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 04:33:19 pm »
Will it add anchovies if I ask for them?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 06:25:48 pm »
Will it add anchovies if I ask for them?
Yes, but they'll be made of ground up earthworms.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 03:04:21 pm »

Shouldn't fine dining restaurant work experience tell you that ingredients that normally sound ridiculous or that they shouldn't be used together can make something great?

It's not what you put in it. It's what comes out.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 07:16:22 pm »
Fine dining is about sourcing from the best of the freshest available foods, then taking the trouble to prep it and cook it in ways that preserves textures and brings out the flavor inherent in each natural ingredients' component complex carbohydrates, long chain protein molecules, enzymes, alkaloids, flavonoids, salts, fatty acids, folic acids, citric acids, etc. etc. Many of these components break down/are destroyed in the freeze drying process. You can reconstruct a pizza facsimile from chemically similar base powders, but it cannot have all the flavor profiles of fresh pizza due to the freeze drying step. Now, as Star Trek did it, each complex molecule of a given food is chemically replicated from a detailed pattern data base, using simpler molecules kept in mass storage in the ship's galley, then combined "magically" with some electromagnetic gizmo (basically a transporter) into 3D pieces, already in prepped form, along with sauce or w/e. That super high level of tech would make a fantastic pizza. Like I said - I love science. This idea for a 3D food printer is a great start, but don't expect the pizza to taste much like your expectations.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 11:09:02 pm »
What if an astronaut ate this pizza in space; found it gross, and then projectile vomited it in the spacecraft. I'd imagine that would be a nightmare but for some reason that visualization makes laugh and get grossed out at the same time.

I have a weird imagination.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 01:48:12 am »
What if an astronaut ate this pizza in space; found it gross, and then projectile vomited it in the spacecraft. I'd imagine that would be a nightmare but for some reason that visualization makes laugh and get grossed out at the same time.

I have a weird imagination.

Go to bed.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 06:48:04 am »
I am reserving judgement until I hear how the 3D printed pizza tasted. We aren't in the age of Star Trek till they can make good pizza with their high-tech gadgets.

Also, I still want my jet pack.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.