Author Topic: Bacon printer, motherf***er!  (Read 5368 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Bacon printer, motherf***er!
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 12:03:52 am »
Not really a replicator, as that converts energy into matter using the principles of the conservation of mass and energy. (If the collision of an atom of matter and antimatter obliterates both and releases their full potential of energy, then that amount of energy can be used to create an atom of matter.)

This would have to be refueled by the sum total of the matter that is used to create the bacon. On the positive side, this will surely be significantly more efficient than cattle farming.

[nerd talk] Actually, Star Trek replicators don't work like that. They're established as having food stock and all of the vitamins, minerals, and other goodies needed to make food stored in the cargo bay. The replicators can't even rearrange on a molecular level; they just put all the pieces together with miniature teleporters.

So ironically, the idea of a bacon printer IS closer to a real Star Trek replicator than your theory: both of them require the actual food to already exist (replicators have food stock in the cargo bay, the bacon printer has cartridges filled with lab-grown cells) and simply combine all of the pieces into a ready-to-eat form. Literally the only difference is that replicators use teleporters to turn the food bits into an energy form and then recombine them in the right shape on the other side, while the bacon printer basically sprays the cells onto a surface in the right order.[/nerd talk]
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 06:11:21 am »
Not really a replicator, as that converts energy into matter using the principles of the conservation of mass and energy. (If the collision of an atom of matter and antimatter obliterates both and releases their full potential of energy, then that amount of energy can be used to create an atom of matter.)

This would have to be refueled by the sum total of the matter that is used to create the bacon. On the positive side, this will surely be significantly more efficient than cattle farming.

[nerd talk] Actually, Star Trek replicators don't work like that. They're established as having food stock and all of the vitamins, minerals, and other goodies needed to make food stored in the cargo bay. The replicators can't even rearrange on a molecular level; they just put all the pieces together with miniature teleporters.

So ironically, the idea of a bacon printer IS closer to a real Star Trek replicator than your theory: both of them require the actual food to already exist (replicators have food stock in the cargo bay, the bacon printer has cartridges filled with lab-grown cells) and simply combine all of the pieces into a ready-to-eat form. Literally the only difference is that replicators use teleporters to turn the food bits into an energy form and then recombine them in the right shape on the other side, while the bacon printer basically sprays the cells onto a surface in the right order.[/nerd talk]

Uhh...I've been a Trekkie for the last two and a half decades and this is the first I've heard of replicators operating like that. Everything I've seen on screen does more to support Sylyana and Rav, as explained by the Memory-Alpha article on replicators. I'm curious as to a source for where you got this info. ???
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 08:10:42 am »
Raw foodstock info comes from the Technical Manual. TNG Season 3 Episode 55 ("The Enemy") also notes that ribosomes are apparently too complex to make with a replicator, despite modern technology being capable of cloning them. Episode 65 ("Sins of the Father") notes that caviar comes out imperfectly from a replicator, despite containing no exotic materials whatsoever. Items like gold and gemstones maintain value (DS9 Season 1 Episode 4 "Past Prologue" and Episode 10 "Move Along Home" respectively), though a machine that actually changes the state of matter through atomic rearranging would make them worthless. And there's MANY instances of material that has to be mined and/or carried via starship instead of being made in a replicator.

Never doubt the power of a scientific mindset and quotes from the show.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 02:38:50 pm »
Holy crap I want one... You could even make bacon that spells out fun things.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Indikins

• Pope
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 05:56:34 am »
Woah, woah. Would you be able to make...synthetic human flesh?
Or would there be bans on that or something?
I once had a nightmare about chickens pecking me to death on my driveway. I told my sister to save herself.

This is the #1 nightmare.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 07:04:36 am »

On the contrary, I think they would encourage use of this technology for making synthetic human flesh. Skin grafts, for one.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 06:00:12 pm »

On the contrary, I think they would encourage use of this technology for making synthetic human flesh. Skin grafts, for one.

Actually, they've already been looking into that.  The medical community is happy as hell, if they can get it all to work correctly.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2013, 04:54:25 am »

Actually, they've already been looking into that.  The medical community is happy as hell, if they can get it all to work correctly.

I for one see that as a much better application for this technology. Skin crafts, muscles, maybe even new organs being "printed" by a machine would be awesome.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 08:40:06 am »
This may also lead to an increase in meat in the world diet and a decrease in mass raising and slaughter of live animals. Many vegetarians and vegans refuse to eat meat out of a desire to avoid harming other living creatures, or out of protest of the livestock farming conditions. Should this technology advance to the point that lab-grown cells are a viable source of meat, such complaints would be rendered moot. Even outside of the "print your own bacon" technology, simply the ability to grow and assemble cells into different foods without needing to slaughter animals to do so will be a massive boon for the meat industry. It'll probably radically change how farmland is appropriated (no need to have massive farms raising and slaughtering cattle and chickens by the thousand if technology lets you manufacture the meat for the same or a lower price), as well as world economies (if lab-grown food is the same price or cheaper than "real meat", massive agricultural raising of livestock will become less viable and companies that have a heavy hand in the production, like the McDonalds Corporation, would need to switch to this alternative meat production source or buy it from producers).