Author Topic: Welp, I guess Google now controls Yahoo.  (Read 5519 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Welp, I guess Google now controls Yahoo.
« on: July 16, 2012, 10:18:58 pm »
Never mind this was dumb.

Edit: less terrible now.

As of the present, Microsoft is Google's biggest competitor.

Marissa Mayer, one of the top executives at Google, leaves Google to become CEO of Yahoo despite previous statements that she would not do such and very close relations with Google hire ups.

Her announcement that she would not leave was made during the same year that Microsoft made a search deal with Yahoo to compete with Google for Ad revenue, search revenue and online sales revenue.

This is no coincidence, why destroy your competition when you can control them.

Given the the prejudices commonly found in corporate culture, there is no way she could get passed an interview without a lot of external influence. Nervousness induced vocal ticks during an interview and the fact that she is both female and pregnant would be more than enough to have her passed over. As corporate culture in the United States is biased against women and views maternity leave as a liability. This is especially so in the tech industry.

And now for a summation of everything that is terrible with the modern day industry and human resources.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/business/01marissa.html?_r=1

More often than not, however, Ms. Mayer says she relies on charts, graphs and quantitative analysis as a foundation for a decision, particularly when it comes to evaluating people.

At a recent personnel meeting, she homes in on grade-point averages and SAT scores to narrow a list of candidates, many having graduated from Ivy League schools, whom she wanted to meet as part of a program to foster in-house talent. In essence, math is used to solve a human problem: How do you predict whether an employee has the potential for success?
A scrum of executives sit around a table, laptops in front of them, as they sort through résumés, college transcripts and quarterly reviews. The conversation is unemotional, at times a little brutal.

One candidate got a C in macroeconomics. “That’s troubling to me,” Ms. Mayer says. “Good students are good at all things.”

People are more than mere numbers in a file or a perfect ideal. By exclusively focusing on numbers focus is removed from interpersonal skills and interaction. Technological Prowess does not require nor cause social dysfunction.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 10:56:33 pm by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Re: Welp, I guess Google now controls Yahoo.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:45:34 pm »
What does this mean for people with Yahoo Email addresses?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 01:29:09 pm »
I'm confused, why did you link an article from 2009 in reference to her LEAVING Google to assume the CEO role at Yahoo?

Or are you trying to make up some conspiracy theory about how she hasn't really left Google, but that Google has now taken over Yahoo?

Obvious troll is obvious.

Saturn500

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 01:38:53 pm »
Bezron, maybe he simply forgot to check the date of the article? It happens quite often.

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 02:36:17 pm »
Bezron, maybe he simply forgot to check the date of the article? It happens quite often.

Doubtful, considering that the first quote is from the article announcing her leaving Google in order to become CEO of Yahoo

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 10:14:53 pm »
I'm confused, why did you link an article from 2009 in reference to her LEAVING Google to assume the CEO role at Yahoo?

Or are you trying to make up some conspiracy theory about how she hasn't really left Google, but that Google has now taken over Yahoo?

Obvious troll is obvious.

Edit: less terrible now.

As of the present, Microsoft is Google's biggest competitor.

Marissa Mayer, one of the top executives at Google, leaves Google to become CEO of Yahoo despite previous statements that she would not do such and very close relations with Google hire ups.

Her announcement that she would not leave was made during the same year that Microsoft made a search deal with Yahoo to compete with Google for Ad revenue, search revenue and online sales revenue.

This is no coincidence, why destroy your competition when you can control them.

Given the the prejudices commonly found in corporate culture, there is no way she could get passed an interview without a lot of external influence. Nervousness induced vocal ticks during an interview and the fact that she is both female and pregnant would be more than enough to have her passed over. As corporate culture in the United States is biased against women and views maternity leave as a liability. This is especially so in the tech industry.

What does this mean for people with Yahoo Email addresses?

I do not have a crystal ball, but I will hazard a guess. This could work out either two ways:
  • Yahoo crashes and burns devaluing the company which allows for easier acquisition. Bye, bye reliable email use gmail  ::).
  • User tracking for the purpose of ad revenue is gathered and/or organized via a third party company that is all too friendly with Google. Reliable email probably.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 12:13:00 am by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 11:05:28 pm »
What?  What is this?

You aren't even being anywhere close to coherent.

So what if she decided to leave Google and be hired by Yahoo?  This isn't anywhere close to damning evidence of a hostile takeover.
So what if she's pregnant?  That's a complete non-sequiter.  Her being pregnant has little to do with this.
The deal between Yahoo and Microsoft has what to do with Google?  I read the article but didn't see a single connection.

Honestly, I'm kind of concerned about you.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 12:26:17 am »
So what if she decided to leave Google and be hired by Yahoo?

Why would she, what does Yahoo have that would make her voluntary leave Google?

Monetary gain? Yahoo can not afford it.

Workplace culture? She was literally the public star of Google. Unless things have changed radically, Google's workplace is very progressive to say the least.

The deal between Yahoo and Microsoft has what to do with Google?  I read the article but didn't see a single connection.

Revenue, lots and lots of revenue. The Deal between Microsoft and Yahoo was an attempt to create a bulwark of adverts, search revenue and online sales revenue against Google by consolidating competition. All of such was bolded in the linked article.

Most of the rest is addressed in the rewritten posts.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 12:30:47 am »

Workplace culture? She was literally the public star of Google. Unless things have changed radically, Google's workplace is very progressive to say the least.

This is not proof.  Coincidences are not proof.

Right now, all you have is conjecture, the kind of conjecture that creates rumors and can cause actual harm to people.  Gossip is never a good thing.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 12:31:36 am »
Besides, you're assuming people always make career decisions based on money. That's not an accurate assumption.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 12:56:39 am »
Besides, you're assuming people always make career decisions based on money. That's not an accurate assumption.

There are a lot of op-eds saying that she got passed over for a promotion in Google and pushed upstairs. Problem is that it sounds like a PR outing for Microsoft.

http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/023066.html
http://venturebeat.com/2012/07/17/marissa-mayer-yahoo/

Or idle speculation:

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-marissa-mayer-saicast-8-2011-4?comments=all#comment-4d9f932c4bd7c8e3590e0000

I am adopting a wait and see approach.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 01:12:01 am by The Illusive Man »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 01:09:15 am »
So it sounds like it may have been workplace culture after all.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 01:13:56 am »
So it sounds like it may have been workplace culture after all.

May have, problem is sources practically belch Microsoft PR. Here is another example:

http://politicallyillustrated.com/index.php?/page/features/1893/
“It’s interesting how her departure comes on the eve of Microsoft’s announcement,” Steve Rugg, a software programmer in Seattle, told Politically Illustrated. “Microsoft is out innovating Google, especially in design, the department Marissa is responsible for stewarding.”

Oh you have got to be kidding me.

https://plus.google.com/118207880179234484610/posts

At long last, introducing Google+ Local - share and discover places with your friends and it includes Zagat scores and reviews! http://plus.google.com/local

Here's the full product announcement - Local—now with a dash of Zagat and a sprinkle of Google+: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/localnow-with-dash-of-zagat-and.html

Is..is she still advertising Google+ Local while CEO of Yahoo? Lol why was this not deleted? Not proof but lol.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 01:30:51 am by The Illusive Man »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 01:44:41 am »
Because that was before she became a CEO of Yahoo?

As far as may have, it's a lot more credible than what you're presenting.

Offline Bezron

• Pope
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 10:49:25 am »

How about a CEO title, which looks very good on a resume.  IF she can't "save Yahoo" and it does crash and burn, she now has experience running a company at very little professional risk to herself.  Yahoo's troubles are well known in the industry, if she staves it off even for a short period then she wins.  This makes it easier to transition to CEO of another company in the future, if she desires (but not to public office as demonstrated by Meg Whitman).

You really are a short-sighted fool, aren't you?  When you get to the levels that we are talking here, the "monetary gain" is of little to no consequence.  At these levels it is all about title and influence.  CEO is the brass ring.

Same as the monetary response.  At these levels, the employees do pretty much what they want.  Workplace culture is a buzzword for the lower levels and addresses how happy the average worker is

Revenue, lots and lots of revenue. The Deal between Microsoft and Yahoo was an attempt to create a bulwark of adverts, search revenue and online sales revenue against Google by consolidating competition. All of such was bolded in the linked article.

Most of the rest is addressed in the rewritten posts.

This is the only intelligent, non conspiracy driven thing you have posted here.  And it doesn't even relate to your point....