Author Topic: On the future of the forums  (Read 84115 times)

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
Re: On the future of the forums
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2013, 10:15:03 pm »
Since "Let's All bee Friends" isn't in the poll, I'm tossing my vote behind "Frequently Questioned Answers".

Will we be keeping the same rules (particularly the direct question, don't-tell-people-to-kill-themselves, and week/month/year/perma rules)?

Don't see why not; those rules have served us extremely well.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2013, 10:22:07 pm »
Fisted Tea.
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2013, 11:19:31 pm »
Since "Let's All bee Friends" isn't in the poll, I'm tossing my vote behind "Frequently Questioned Answers".

Will we be keeping the same rules (particularly the direct question, don't-tell-people-to-kill-themselves, and week/month/year/perma rules)?

I've actually been thinking about this since I got the adminship. I'll be drafting a new "The Rules" document for the new forum, but it won't be a major change, since the current rules are serving their purpose adequately.

As for those in particular: The direct question rule (aka the Skyfire clause) is a bit discordant with the general nature of the other rules, but it does seem to get results in moving debates forward. I'll keep it until I see it being abused. The "don't tell people to kill themselves" rule is more or less contained in Don't be a Dick, and I'm not scrapping that.

The week/month/year/perma pattern is going, though. I'll probably make week/month/perma the basic guideline (no 'year') and deviate from it as necessary.
Σא

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2013, 11:43:57 pm »
The week/month/year/perma pattern is going, though. I'll probably make week/month/perma the basic guideline (no 'year') and deviate from it as necessary.

Sounds reasonable.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2013, 12:23:58 am »
I'll like to know how "Institution of the Eldritch" isn't the most popular?? It's so badass

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2013, 12:25:52 am »
I'll like to know how "Institution of the Eldritch" isn't the most popular?? It's so badass
Absolutely no idea what that is.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2013, 12:26:44 am »
It's also pretentious and says nothing about the actual content of the forum.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2013, 02:16:53 am »
Looks like I'm gonna be happy with whatever possible name is chosen.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2013, 02:19:55 am »
It's also pretentious and says nothing about the actual content of the forum.

I got it from a random band name generator, what do you expect? The fact that it actually has made it all the way to second place in the naming has surprised me quite a bit actually.

I have to ask, without the main site, how are we going to get traffic and new members? I know we've never been a large site, but we still need to keep the in-flow of members at or above the rate of member loss.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Art Vandelay

« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2013, 02:27:02 am »
I got it from a random band name generator, what do you expect? The fact that it actually has made it all the way to second place in the naming has surprised me quite a bit actually.
No judgement on you or how you came up with it. I'm just saying why I and most likely others don't want it as a new forum name.
I have to ask, without the main site, how are we going to get traffic and new members? I know we've never been a large site, but we still need to keep the in-flow of members at or above the rate of member loss.
Yeah, I'll admit, I wouldn't be surprised if the new forums wither and die due to a lack of new blood. I haven't a clue as to what could be done to fix it, though.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2013, 02:33:53 am »
Yeah, I'll admit, I wouldn't be surprised if the new forums wither and die due to a lack of new blood. I haven't a clue as to what could be done to fix it, though.

Well, how 'bout everyone start thinking of what we can do and put some ideas forward. I've not got anything at the moment but I'll think about it tonight and hopefully have something by tomorrow.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2013, 02:34:55 am »
No judgement on you or how you came up with it. I'm just saying why I and most likely others don't want it as a new forum name.
That would be a pity. But unless Distind let's the link stay on the mainpage or someone spams it to the comments (not a good idea) I don't have a clue.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2013, 02:45:48 am »

Well, how 'bout everyone start thinking of what we can do and put some ideas forward. I've not got anything at the moment but I'll think about it tonight and hopefully have something by tomorrow.

Maybe we could start our own collection of fundie quotes with blackjack, and hookers? In all honesty though, forums tend not to survive so well on their own (unless you're either 4Chan or Something Awful). They usually need to serve as a community hub for something else in order to keep the population up.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2013, 05:50:28 am »
Perhaps we could become associated with Rational Wiki?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2013, 05:52:27 am »
They already have a forum.