Author Topic: Molecules Photographed  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
Molecules Photographed
« on: May 31, 2013, 03:34:30 am »
Here we have it kiddies, the first pictures of elements before and after reactions

That's when he approached Crommie, who uses atomic force microscopes to probe the surfaces of materials with atomic resolution and even move atoms around individually on a surface. Working together, they devised a way to chill the reaction surface and molecules to the temperature of liquid helium -- about 4 Kelvin, or 270 degrees Celsius below zero -- which stops the molecules from jiggling around. They then used a scanning tunneling microscope to locate all the molecules on the surface, and zeroed in on several to probe more finely with the atomic force microscope. To enhance the spatial resolution of their microscope they put a single carbon monoxide molecule on the tip, a technique called non-contact AFM first used by Gerhard Meyer and collaborators at IBM Zurich to image molecules several years ago.

After imaging the molecule -- a "cyclic" structure with several hexagonal rings of carbon that Fischer created especially for this experiment -- Fischer, Crommie and their colleagues heated the surface until the molecule reacted, and then again chilled the surface to 4 Kelvin and imaged the reaction products.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Molecules Photographed
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 07:53:16 am »
I wasn't expecting them to look so much like the diagrams.  Kinda like how atoms don't quite look as simplistic as the diagrams of them.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 11:50:13 am »
This is huge.  :o

I don't mean it sarcastically, but it makes me smile in amazement. Never thought this would be accomplished well within my life time.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 08:03:42 pm »
I wasn't expecting them to look so much like the diagrams.  Kinda like how atoms don't quite look as simplistic as the diagrams of them.

Yeah, that was my first thought too.

My second thought is "WOW, cool!"
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.