Author Topic: The dumbest thing I've heard from a Libertarian.  (Read 10460 times)

Offline Diamandahagan

• Apprentice
Re: The dumbest thing I've heard from a Libertarian.
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2012, 07:56:22 am »
What strikes me as odd with Libertarians is how they're the kind of people from whom you normally hear the "communism can't work because of human nature" argument, while most Libertarians also factor out human nature in their philosophies. Funny how that works out.

Ever notice how people tend to be unable to see the obvious flaws with their religious beliefs (while they have no problem pointing out the flaws in others)?

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: The dumbest thing I've heard from a Libertarian.
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2012, 09:45:34 am »
Private law is basically the Mafia. It exists. You pay Don X to protect you- to enforce black market contracts, to punish thieves, to do little favours and so on. In return, the Mafia has all the power. The merit principle doesn't apply, because every job is a gift. And it's very violent. It doesn't work at all like glibertarians say it would.

As a smart person once said about Milton Friedman- the real weakness with his ideas is that they have been tried.

Huh. I always thought private law would lead more to like something out of an Old West style Pinkertons. Those who could afford law and security would hire a "police force" to enforce the laws as they (the monied class) deemed fit.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.