Author Topic: Mitt Romney doesn’t understand why we can’t open airplane windows  (Read 2783 times)

Offline wyvern999

• Apprentice
He's conquered the world of business and soared to enormous political heights. Could aeronautical engineering be next for Mitt Romney? The GOP presidential nominee wowed a crowd over the weekend with his keen grasp of physics when he lamented that airplanes don’t have windows, appearing to view it as a problem that could be fixed in jiffy with a patent and a couple of good engineers. Speaking about his wife's emergency landing Friday, Romney said: "When you have a fire in an aircraft, there’s no place to go, exactly, there’s no — and you can’t find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don’t open. I don’t know why they don’t do that. It’s a real problem."

With his enormous intellect that is every bit the equal of Dubya's this guy was born to be president. ::)

http://news.uk.msn.com//blog/trending-blogpost.aspx?post=e562d508-8516-4834-aae8-eacc75af4480&_nwpt=1

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: Mitt Romney doesn’t understand why we can’t open airplane windows
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 09:33:21 am »
The scary thing? He could still win!

I sometimes wonder if US Repubs are actually coached in being MORE anti-intellectual, village idiot and terminal dumbass than they really are because that resonates so much with the modern Republican base!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 01:46:32 pm »
That's incredibly stu- wait a second. Did I read that right? "When you have a fire in the aircraft, and there's no place to go...and you can't find any oxygen to get in the aircraft..." does he not know how fire works either? Am I reading that right? He thinks if there's a fire on a plane, opening a window will blow it out somehow?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 02:40:21 pm »
I think he's referring to letting the smoke out for whatever reason.

Incidentally, it probably would choke the fire... and everybody on board, too.  In addition, stuff would probably fly out of the windows, including people.  You'd be surprised what can fit through a small hole when there's a lot of suction going on.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 03:50:13 pm »
You'd be surprised what can fit through a small hole when there's a lot of suction going on.
That's what she said.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 04:09:48 pm »
Does Mitt think we still use biplanes for public transportation?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:17:24 pm by KZN02 »
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 04:14:31 pm »
Sweet Jesus on a carousel!  Where is Dan Quayle when we need him?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

shykid

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 05:28:51 pm »
Please, Mitt, crack open a window on your private jet.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 08:45:16 pm »
You guys do know this was already posted in the Dumb Things the Romney campaign has done thread...right?

Ironbite-RIGHT!?

Offline tempus

• Bishop
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 09:04:57 pm »
He's conquered the world of business and soared to enormous political heights. Could aeronautical engineering be next for Mitt Romney? The GOP presidential nominee wowed a crowd over the weekend with his keen grasp of physics when he lamented that airplanes don’t have windows, appearing to view it as a problem that could be fixed in jiffy with a patent and a couple of good engineers. Speaking about his wife's emergency landing Friday, Romney said: "When you have a fire in an aircraft, there’s no place to go, exactly, there’s no — and you can’t find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don’t open. I don’t know why they don’t do that. It’s a real problem."

With his enormous intellect that is every bit the equal of Dubya's this guy was born to be president. ::)

http://news.uk.msn.com//blog/trending-blogpost.aspx?post=e562d508-8516-4834-aae8-eacc75af4480&_nwpt=1

I can relate.  I, for one, have often wondered why more submarines don't have screen doors. 
Congratulations.  You found Ronald Reagan. He’s living in each and every one of you.  Just waiting to gnaw his way out of your chest and skitter off into the ventilation ducts.

--Neckfucker

That shape...that figure...those curves...god damn the weighted companion cube has never looked so good!

--Anonymous

Los Angeles is a city of brick, steel, concrete, and asphalt. There's no room for cows.

--CommanderCoffee

Offline Undecided

• The boring one.
  • Bishop
  • Amateur Obfuscator
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 09:17:30 pm »
A review of video footage of Mitt Romney's remarks shows that it is literally true that he did speak the words attributed to him, but it's not true that, as claimed, he was genuinely expressing confusion about why airplane windows don't open. When he said "I don't know why they don't do that" (in reference to airplane windows' not opening), his posture and tone clearly indicated that he intended the line to be taken as a tongue-in-cheek aside rather than as a serious statement:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/romney/windows.asp

I'm inclined to treat this as an instance of quote mining.
You mad, you lose.

People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant.
Helen Keller
Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.
Voltaire

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 09:49:16 pm »
Ok, but joking about something that would have been serious becomes another problem, right?
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Undecided

• The boring one.
  • Bishop
  • Amateur Obfuscator
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 11:28:10 pm »
Ok, but joking about something that would have been serious becomes another problem, right?
Nearly everybody jokes about situations that might have been serious but turned out all right in the end. I don't like Romney as a presidential candidate, but I'm not going to hold something so benign against him.
You mad, you lose.

People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant.
Helen Keller
Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.
Voltaire