Author Topic: FQA D&D/Pathfinder Game  (Read 50443 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: FQA D&D/Pathfinder Game
« Reply #165 on: September 25, 2014, 10:43:32 am »
I think I'm going to skip this game after all. I might join for the next one (if there is one) but I'm not familiar enough with Pathfinder to join right now.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #166 on: September 25, 2014, 11:23:22 am »
Sorry to hear that. I look forward to playing with you next time.

OK, that leaves Madman, Cerim, and Ironbite.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #167 on: September 25, 2014, 05:52:39 pm »
I'll try to get ahold of Cerim sometime today.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #168 on: September 25, 2014, 06:37:27 pm »
So, how many feats can one take? In addition, are traits racial or just general?
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #169 on: September 25, 2014, 06:58:05 pm »
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits#TOC-Gaining-Traits

Also, you can take a feat every odd level, in addition to any bonus feats.  So... 1, 3, 5, 7, etc.

Oh, and if you're human, you have an extra bonus feat at first level.

Are you really sure you want to be playing a Monk?  Monks are NOT an easy first character.

EDIT:

I talked to Cerim.  He's pretty exhausted so he's going to be sitting things out for awhile.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 07:06:11 pm by Magus Silveresti »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
« Reply #170 on: September 26, 2014, 12:02:22 am »
Thank you, Magus.

As for monks, I'd treat Intelligence and Charisma as dump stats and keep everything else at a moderately high level. With 25 points to spend, you can easily get a 14-16 in all the other stats without much effort, especially considering dwarves get Con/Wis bonuses and the only penalty is Charisma.

With regards to Cerim and Askold, if you find you'd like to join in later, it's fairly easy to introduce new characters mid-plot so no worries.

Some house rules, changes, and other things to note:

As mentioned before, I have changed one aspect of Golarion. The Hold of Belkzen is inhabited by goblinoids instead of orcs.

No resurrection spells. The social implications of being able to reverse death are rather difficult to really think through, and I'd rather not try. On the other hand, Pathfinder is already generous with the dying rules and I'll take it a step further. You're not dead until your hit points drop to -10 - your Fortitude save bonus instead of using just your Constitution score. This is probably going to have more objections to it than any other change, so I'm willing to take suggestions on how resurrection could be handled.

Anyone whose character dies may create a new character at the same level as the dead one (including XP) without any penalties.

All dragons above Wyrmling stage are at least Large size.

Two classic dungeons from the Gygax era will show up in this campaign, converted to work with the current setting (and to be considerably less sadistic than the originals were).

EDIT: Removed some proposed changes.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 01:10:45 am by Random Guy »

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #171 on: September 26, 2014, 01:51:16 am »
As near as I can tell, the Church of Sarenrae has a rather informal heirarchy, with local churches designed around a family, with a Father and Brothers. So similar to a monastic order, really. In that sense, I would imagine given his noble birth and wealthy parents, Gerhardt would likely be the Father of the Church of Sarenrae in Magnimar, though he'll obviously be "taken ill" with some mysterious and lengthy, but non-lethal illness. The Brothers of Sarenrae in Magnimar would be in on the ruse, of course, though anyone outside of the church itself would not likely know that Brother Gars is Father Gerhardt. There is one small problem, though, that I might have to change my backstory for: As near as I can tell, the Church of Sarenrae doesn't seem to have a central authority beyond this Father/Brother system. So I'm going to ask if there's something I missed, and the Church has a central authority for someone like Gerhardt to report findings to.

Sorry about prattling on about what probably seems inconsequential, but I want to get all the wrinkles ironed out.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #172 on: September 26, 2014, 03:07:38 am »
Shit...someone remind me of the rules now?

Ironbite-kinda been busy.

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #173 on: September 27, 2014, 12:08:58 pm »
You're right, Magus. Maybe I don't want to be a Monk. After all, the backstory of Audien is pretty much interchangeable between each of the cores except Paladin unless we're going with Blackguards. I'll reroll for a caster, then.

Oh, and I'm going for Second Tongue and Unseen but Not Undone for traits. Feat-wise, I guess Point Blank Shot and Sorcerous Strike.

Bloodline is Aberrant, as it just seems right for I'm going for.

• STR 13
  • DEX 8
  • CON 14
  • INT 10
  • WIS 18
  • CHA 8

Now, you're most likely wondering why my strength and wisdom are merely 3 points away. I'll tell you why. I'm planning to use a more medium range oriented build than most would expect, thus why the stats are so close. In addition, I chose a higher Charisma than normal for the purposes of the good old Acidic Ray being a bit more...usable.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 06:10:42 pm by Second Coming of Madman »

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
« Reply #174 on: September 27, 2014, 07:00:36 pm »
You're right, Magus. Maybe I don't want to be a Monk. After all, the backstory of Audien is pretty much interchangeable between each of the cores except Paladin unless we're going with Blackguards. I'll reroll for a caster, then.

Oh, and I'm going for Second Tongue and Unseen but Not Undone for traits. Feat-wise, I guess Point Blank Shot and Sorcerous Strike.

Bloodline is Aberrant, as it just seems right for I'm going for.

• STR 13
  • DEX 8
  • CON 14
  • INT 10
  • WIS 18
  • CHA 8

Now, you're most likely wondering why my strength and wisdom are merely 3 points away. I'll tell you why. I'm planning to use a more medium range oriented build than most would expect, thus why the stats are so close. In addition, I chose a higher Charisma than normal for the purposes of the good old Acidic Ray being a bit more...usable.

Good, but I'd switch Strength and Dexterity around. As a primary caster, you're not likely to get into melee combat too often, and a higher Dexterity will both give you better AC and better aim with spells that require attack rolls.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #175 on: September 27, 2014, 07:30:42 pm »
Yeah, pretty much.

AC is actually kind of important in Pathfinder.  Having +1 to AC from having 13 dexterity, --

Wait why do you have 18 Wisdom?  Aren't you a Sorcerer (assuming so because of Aberrant Bloodline)?  Shouldn't that be 18 Cha?

I'm... confused.

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #176 on: September 27, 2014, 07:55:02 pm »
Yeah, pretty much.

AC is actually kind of important in Pathfinder.  Having +1 to AC from having 13 dexterity, --

Wait why do you have 18 Wisdom?  Aren't you a Sorcerer (assuming so because of Aberrant Bloodline)?  Shouldn't that be 18 Cha?

I'm... confused.

*Head-desk*

Oh, shit. Forgot that Wisdom was dump stat as contrasted to the Wizard. Alright, back to reroll for what should hopefully be the last time. Now, apply Dwarven racial bonuses and disadvantages...

STR 8

DEX 14

CON 17

INT  10

WIS 10

CHA 14

There we go. Now, onto gear. WOOT! 70 gold, bitches!

Padded Armor, 5 GP
Backpack, 2 GP
Common Lamp, 1 GP
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 08:28:58 pm by Second Coming of Madman »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #177 on: September 27, 2014, 08:21:43 pm »
You're only going to be able to cast up to 4th level spells as a Sorcerer with 14 charisma, not to mention that your spells will have a hard time sticking.

Might want to pick a different race for a Sorcerer.  Like, uh... gnome!  Gnome would work for you.

With the exact same stat spread, you would have 17 Con and 18 Cha.

Albeit 6 Strength.

Still, though, 14 Charisma is just WAY too low for a Sorcerer's most important stat.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 08:36:26 pm by Witchyjoshy »

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #178 on: September 27, 2014, 09:04:25 pm »
Yeah, your casting stat is generally your most important one, unless you plan on gishing or buffing, in which case as long as you can get a 19 by 18th level (including boosts from items), you're good. Though higher is still better in those cases, as more bonus spells/day is better.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #179 on: September 27, 2014, 09:30:37 pm »
Gnome it is, then.