Author Topic: What Would it Take to Convert/Deconvert You?  (Read 22539 times)

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
Re: What Would it Take to Convert/Deconvert You?
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2013, 02:29:37 am »
Who the fuck is Quetzacoatl?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2013, 02:55:14 am »
Aztec deity.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2013, 05:28:47 am »
And commonly agreed to be their equivalent of a dragon.

Sort of what I was getting at.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2013, 07:09:32 am »
My bad.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2013, 01:47:23 pm »
I thought that's what you might've been getting at.

Well other than the fact that, as far as I know, the Aztec religion has been dead for decades (which generally doesn't stop pagans) there's mostly the fact that... well I'm just not that interested in a flying snake as a deity.

Technically, some things have been called "dragons" arbitrarily by westerners.  See the Chinese and Japanese Lungs/Longs.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2013, 01:56:10 pm »
TL;DR- I wouldn't convert to Christianity of any stripe. I would be Tony Stark in the presence of Thor.

Cracking snarky jokes about his speech, cloak and looks?

But of course. *late reply*

If it were Thor/the other Norse Gods, I'd be "Fuck yeah!"

If it were the Abrahamic God, I would be "Fuck you."

*insert tony stark gif here*

But yeah. Thor I'm fine with. 

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2013, 03:38:00 pm »
TL;DR- I wouldn't convert to Christianity of any stripe. I would be Tony Stark in the presence of Thor.

Cracking snarky jokes about his speech, cloak and looks?

But of course. *late reply*

If it were Thor/the other Norse Gods, I'd be "Fuck yeah!"

If it were the Abrahamic God, I would be "Fuck you."

*insert tony stark gif here*

But yeah. Thor I'm fine with.

At least Odin and Loki are honest about being dicks, unlike the Abrahamic God...
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

wrightway

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2013, 03:38:10 pm »
I'd be cool with worshipping Coyote.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2013, 05:11:55 pm »

Have fun with the Gunnerkrigg Court variant... never mind Ysengrin.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2013, 06:20:24 pm »

Bah. I refuse to worship anything that regularly gets its ass handed to it by its own incompetence. You'd think he'd figure out that Acme isn't a reliable company by now! ;)
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2013, 08:38:55 pm »

The name of my eidolon in Pathfinder.

Ironbite-commonly nicked named Que.

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2013, 08:45:14 pm »
I agree with your description of the keys being in a human language being proof a human made it. What I don't understand is why you can't follow that same logic to the conclusion that something like the human eye is less likely to have just came together on its own than a keyboard. The differences between the complicated structure of the human eye and an HP laptop are astronomical.

God isn't smart enough to create the vertebrate eye without breaking Laws of Physics?  If you had the faith of a mustard seed...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 06:52:10 am by Rime »
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2013, 05:06:51 am »
A visit by a hot female angel with a high sex drive who wants to be with me (and no negative consquences) with definite proof of all of that.

In other words, an undesputed miracle.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2013, 10:08:17 am »
Actual proof that this isn't all some gigantic scam to control people.  From what I've observed with religion, it is nothing more than humans telling other humans what God wants.  In other words, the teachings of man, something they claim to be against.   If God is so personal and can control this whole universe, than surely God can take a more active role than the humans claiming to speak for him.  Yet the only people who "know" god are a few select people who claim to be saved.  Why would God be so secretive?  When any "evidence" for God can be explained by other means, then there is no reason to assume God exists, let alone the Christian God. 

And I've heard all the apologetic explanations for this.  We're too sinful, Gods time is not our time, we need to have more faith.  Excuses. Excuses. Excuses.  None of those are strong answers, but whe you're so convinced your this horrible vile creature (never mind being created by a "pure" god), you'll accept it.  But even when I was convinced of that, I still could never truly love a God who would send people to eternal torment for being flawed (the way God made us).  So even if there was proof of the Christian God, I could never honestly love such a being.   

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2013, 01:07:08 pm »
The dismally tiny and shallow scale of human deity worship is what convinces me that it is all simply a result of ongoing human development, an inevitable phase.

It's all focused on us, the god(s) are like us, the universe of religion revolves around us. It is infantile. It is an ignorant savage's crutch to both encourage his endeavors to survive and his excuse when things just go wrong. It is also the more educated, clever manipulators' tool to gain power, wealth and social/political prestige and dominance over others.

Reality is just so vast, fascinating, astounding, terrible and beautiful, that the more we learn, the more I find it a crime that people's minds are cramped and cowered by religion. Some people see it as depressing, that the universe is so indifferent to us. Indeed, we should be grateful we are intelligent enough to actually see and want to know more about the universe. That we exist and can be sentient and be curious and brave and adventurous is what is miraculous, in what is only so far as we know YET, an unoccupied glorious vastness. That yet is easily the most exciting and wonderful reason to be glad to be human. I wonder who we will talk to some day? I don't think they will visit physically, because space/time physics are impractical, but communication may someday happen. Hope I live to witness that.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.