Author Topic: North Carolina sues to hate  (Read 5613 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
North Carolina sues to hate
« on: May 09, 2016, 05:05:16 pm »
So perhaps you guys have heard of HB2 in North Carolina.  It's a law that was passed in 12 hours that made it illegal for transgendered people to go to the bathroom unless the plumbing matches the sign on the door.  And of course there's been a ton of backlash.  So on Thursday, the DOJ gave North Carolina until today, May 9th, to either repeal the law or face the consequences.  Well North Carolina had an answer to that.  They sued the DoJ in order to continue to discriminate

North Carolina casts its so-called bathroom bill as a "common sense bodily privacy law." The federal government calls it discrimination, pure and simple.
The two will face off in federal court in North Carolina after two of the state's top officials Monday sued the U.S. Justice Department, Attorney General Loretta Lynch and one of her assistants.
The lawsuit calls last week's demand that the state "remedy" its Public Facilities Privacy and Security Act by Monday or risk being in violation of federal law "a baseless and blatant overreach."
The act bans individuals from using public bathrooms that do not correspond with their biological sex, as dictated by their birth certificates.
In its letter last week to Gov. Pat McCrory, the Justice Department asserted, "Access to sex-segregated restrooms and other workplace facilities consistent with gender identity is a term, condition or privilege of employment. Denying such access to transgender individuals, whose gender identity is different from their gender assigned at birth, while affording it to similarly situated non-transgender employees, violates Title VII."

Oh this was gonna get fun in a second because the Federal Government is now suing North Carolina in response.

The U.S. government filed a lawsuit Monday against North Carolina saying that state entities were in violation of provisions in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, Title IX the Education Acts Amendment of 1972 and the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act that outlaw discrimination on the basis of sex. The lawsuit comes hours after Gov. Pat McCrory sued the Justice Department, asking a federal court to rule whether the state's so-called bathroom bill violated U.S. law.

The amazing thing I've seen from Conservitards is that they really don't do well against shit like this.  They lost the fight on gay marriage because they're ass backwards and are now creating an opportunity to expand the the Civil Rights Act with this shit.  And McCrory, an amazing politician if I ever saw one, was on the news cycle this weekend getting his ass kicked when pressed to name a single transgendered assault in a bathroom.  His answer?  He can't cite any cases in which someone who is transgendered assaulted someone in the bathroom.  Amazing.

Ironbite-oh and the Feds didn't give North Carolina enough time to respond even though they had 3 working days, 5 if you count the weekend.  The poor babies.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: North Carolina sues to hate
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 05:24:47 pm »
Hopefully they drive McCrory into bankruptcy. North Carolina evidently learned nothing from the civil war. Maybe Sherman should've burned them too.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 06:02:48 pm »
Now that's a bold move, Cotton! let's see how it works out for them.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 06:28:34 pm »
Don't these people have anything better to do?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 06:29:33 pm »
They're trying to whip up enough anger about social issues to get all the social conservatives out to the polls. Same reason you see laws about abortion or sexual orientation in election years.

EDIT: Also, I wonder if Justice Kennedy feels as strongly about gender identity as he does about sexual orientation.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 08:27:35 pm by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 12:38:21 am »
As usual, I can only believe in two possible reasons for this stupidity:

a) They are so deluded that they think they are right and that what they do is legal. They are simply incapable of understanding how this could be seen as discrimination.

b) They understand fully how they are violating the laws but they pander to their voters. By fighting this useless and impossible to win battle they can afterwards shift the blame to Obama, supreme court and Democrats. That the constitution was against this law is a simple matter that can be forgotten when those "liberal forces" that try to ruin USA are much easier to blame. It might even help them do better in the next elections if people only remember the bits about this fight that the GOP wants them to remember.

The truth is probably a mixture of those two. And once again GOP is delaying the inevitable and spending government money on trivial matters just to make it look like they are standing up to their voters. It might even help them do better in the next elections if people only remember the bits about this fight that the GOP wants them to remember.

...And in reality if they wanted to prevent these attacks on women and children by transgenders (which appear to be extremely rare or nonexistent) they could have made a law requiring that public toilets are separate bathrooms instead of rooms with stalls and common washing area. ...Sure that would also cost a lot of money but it would have been legal and then you wouldn't need gendered bathrooms anymore. Heck, it would have helped people who like privacy as well.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 01:06:33 am »
I've been saying there are fights the GOP wants to be seen fighting. Doesn't matter if they win or lose. Just as long as they're seen fighting "The Good Fight".
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 01:13:36 am »
...And these fights are probably a big part of why Trump is suddenly so popular.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 06:45:09 am »

a) They are so deluded that they think they are right and that what they do is legal. They are simply incapable of understanding how this could be seen as discrimination.

b) They understand fully how they are violating the laws but they pander to their voters. By fighting this useless and impossible to win battle they can afterwards shift the blame to Obama, supreme court and Democrats. That the constitution was against this law is a simple matter that can be forgotten when those "liberal forces" that try to ruin USA are much easier to blame. It might even help them do better in the next elections if people only remember the bits about this fight that the GOP wants them to remember.

The truth is probably a mixture of those two. And once again GOP is delaying the inevitable and spending government money on trivial matters just to make it look like they are standing up to their voters. It might even help them do better in the next elections if people only remember the bits about this fight that the GOP wants them to remember.

...And in reality if they wanted to prevent these attacks on women and children by transgenders (which appear to be extremely rare or nonexistent) they could have made a law requiring that public toilets are separate bathrooms instead of rooms with stalls and common washing area. ...Sure that would also cost a lot of money but it would have been legal and then you wouldn't need gendered bathrooms anymore. Heck, it would have helped people who like privacy as well.

I'm pretty sure B is the truth. They want to set up something like this, have it fail, and then point at those evil liberals as the reason why. It is no coincidence that this happened in an election year either; the Republicans did this deliberately to give people a reason to vote for them.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 07:00:30 am »

I'm pretty sure B is the truth. They want to set up something like this, have it fail, and then point at those evil liberals as the reason why. It is no coincidence that this happened in an election year either; the Republicans did this deliberately to give people a reason to vote for them.

I wouldn't know where to look, but I wonder if these sorts of "bathroom bills" are appearing as ballot initiatives anywhere.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 07:36:37 am »
"Let's waste tax payer money on stupid shit and then complain about the Democrats wasting tax payer money on stupid shit!" -the fiscal conservatives

pyro

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 12:19:20 pm »
Maybe it sounds really dumb, but wouldn't this kind of dumb crap get left-leaning people to go to the polls as well? It's certainly making me want to vote more.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 12:39:11 pm »
Maybe it sounds really dumb, but wouldn't this kind of dumb crap get left-leaning people to go to the polls as well? It's certainly making me want to vote more.

Yeah, this isn't really an election year gambit as much as it is a stupid bill that coincides with an election year. I think most of the reason for this bill is a pushback against SCoTUS' Obergefell decision last year. The bigots want to hate on someone, and now that gay people are off limits, trans individuals are the next group to pursue. If North Carolina really wanted to make it an election issue, then it would probably do what the GOP did in 2004 with gay marriage and put the issue to a popular vote. It really just screams of bigots in power realizing that they're losing their power, and doing what they can to codify their bigotry while the time remains ripe.

Now, if the Dems wanted, they could make a wedge issue this November out of legalizing marijuana, as studies show young people--especially young, liberal people--turn out in higher numbers to vote when that is on the ballot. Come on Democratic Party, make it happen!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlPqxBlQMg8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlPqxBlQMg8</a>

Samantha Bee nails it again
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 08:14:56 am by The_Queen »
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 12:43:17 am »
...Ouch. The GOP sure got busy in the last few years. At least on state level it seems, I was under the impression that they had done nothing at all in the US government in the last 8 years after Obama was elected.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 12:55:37 am »
...Ouch. The GOP sure got busy in the last few years. At least on state level it seems, I was under the impression that they had done nothing at all in the US government in the last 8 years after Obama was elected.

Queen (or someone) can correct me on my misconceptions here, but what I've been given to understand is that because the US Constitution left residual powers to the states in setting up the country's federal structure, the states have a great deal of influence over people's day-to-day lives, generally rather more than the federal government does. (The federal government can influence state policy, but it's often done by bribing them; as I recall, the drinking age in the US is uniformly 21 because the federal government threatened to withhold some highway funding from noncompliant states.) So they might not be able to do all that much federally, but since people don't pay nearly as much attention to state elections as they should, given the power state governments wield, they were able to implement a lot of their agenda (restricting abortions, enacting voter ID laws, passing bathroom bills...) where a lot of people just don't notice, because all their attention is focused on the circus in DC.