Author Topic: The Next Doctor Who  (Read 16187 times)

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
The Next Doctor Who
« on: February 22, 2012, 04:50:50 pm »
OK, so the rumor is that Matt Smith will be leaving Doctor Who in the near future. The question is....who do we want for the 12th Doctor?

Here are the nominees:

Hugh Laurie (House MD, Blackadder)

Kenneth Branagh (Henry V, Frankenstein, Hamlet, Valkyrie, Harry Potter & Chamber of Secrets)

Alan Rickman (Die Hard, Harry Potter series)

Timothy Spall (Harry Potter series, Sweeny Todd, Enchanted)

Michael Gambon (Gosford Park, Harry Potter series, Sleepy Hollow)

Paddy Considine (Bourne Ultimatum, Cinderella Man)

Michael Caine (Batman Begins, Alfie, Austin Powers Goldmember)

Mackenzie Crook (Pirates of the Carribean, Finding Neverland, The Office)

John Cleese (Monty Python & the Holy Grail, A Fish Called Wanda, Die Another Day)

Tom Hardy (Inception, Warrior, Rock-n-rolla)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:19:09 pm by sandman »
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: The Next Doctor Who
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 05:22:10 pm »
Hmm...upon seeing no entry for Eddie Izzard, I shall instead cast my vote for Hugh Laurie.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 05:26:55 pm »
I don't think Hugh wants to stay in show business. He wants to work on his music now that House is done.

Thus, I have no vote. :P

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline shadowpanther

• Sod it, this'll do.
  • Bishop
  • FOR SCIENCE!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 05:51:04 pm »
None of the above; Stephen Fry.
Fight Spam! Click Here!
"Kick logic to the curb and do the impossible!"- Kamina, Gurren Lagann.

"Telling someone they know a lot is like telling a man with a few grains of sand clinging to him that he possess much sand."-Stephen Fry

They say an Englishman's home is his castle; which is handy as my home IS a castle and I LAUGH from the top of the turrets.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 09:25:33 pm »
None of the above; Stephen Fry.
This. Absolutely this.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 09:41:53 pm »
I only picked Laurie for the possibility of Doctor House/Doctor Who crossovers
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 09:56:21 pm »
Yeah, Hugh Laurie isn't very likely at all, but he has mentioned that he is a big Doctor Who fan from way back, so it's not an impossibility...

Personally I think he would be perfect. A combination of Dr. House's (admittedly almost entirely justified) assholeish arrogance and the Prince Regent's utter buffoonery would make an eminently watchable Doctor.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:01:04 pm »
Hugh and Rickman, for me.  They both have delicious snark, and seeing either of them as the Doctor would be magnificent.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 10:03:41 pm »
Rickman, but I will miss Smith immensely since I have just gotten into the series so for me he IS the Doctor. 
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 10:07:27 pm »
Smith took some time to grow on me.  It was the cheekbones.  Now, though? it works.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 10:08:26 pm »
I first got into Doctor Who back in the Tom Baker years myself, so while I like Matt Smith, he just seems so....young to be the Doctor.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 10:12:44 pm »
In my defense, I started with Eccelston... but my first love is Pertwee.

Formerly Priestling

Offline Jack Bauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Pope
  • On Craggy Island, under deep cover.
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 05:43:59 am »
Rickman for me - I'd love to hear him say 'timey wimey'!

**sigh** and I can remember the very first ep of Doctor Who, with Bill Hartnell.
Part wolf, part pirate.

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”   -  Albert Einstein.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 06:49:12 am »
I don't think they would choose any of the "big names" to play the Doctor. So Rickman, Branagh, Laurie, Cleese and Caine are unlikely. Maybe Gambon too.

So that leaves some younger less known actors, much like the previous few doctors.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 08:39:32 am »
askold, yeah, from a realistic point of view, the bigger names are highly unlikely, except as a one-off movie special, perhaps. I could totally see Laurie or Rickman doing something like that. As for the continuing series, the most realistically likely of the nominations is probably Mackenzie Crook. He has all the things they look for in a Doctor: a young character actor with an established TV presence on a wildly popular show with cross-Atlantic appeal ("The Office") and a few, but not too many, movie credits.

But can't you just imagine John Cleese as the Doctor?