Author Topic: The Next Doctor Who  (Read 18495 times)

Offline Jack Bauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Pope
  • On Craggy Island, under deep cover.
Re: The Next Doctor Who
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 10:20:11 am »
I can imagine John Cleese as a sort of time travelling Basil Fawlty...

Who would be the Doctor's Companion for a Cleesian Doctor?
Part wolf, part pirate.

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”   -  Albert Einstein.

Offline Jack Bauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Pope
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 10:21:21 am »
None of the above; Stephen Fry.

Yep - and his Doctor's Companion could be Captain Jack Harkness ;)...
Part wolf, part pirate.

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”   -  Albert Einstein.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 04:38:47 pm »
My vote not only went to Alan Rickman, but Alan Rickman playing the Doctor as a cross between Hans Gruber and Severus Snape.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 07:12:29 pm »
Screw that, I vote for Daniel Radcliffe!  Because fuck yeah.  Also, following the apparent pattern of the Doctor getting younger with each new incarnation...
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Dan

• Apprentice
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 02:26:41 pm »
John Cleese made a cameo appearance in one of Tom Baker's stories.

Michael Gambon was also of course a guest star in the 2010 Xmas special.

I think they should reverse the recent trend of each Doctor being younger than the previous, and my vote goes to Nigel Terry (who was in The Doctor's Daughter but is best known for being King Arthur in Excalibur).

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 08:45:35 pm »
I have the next doctor right here.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 01:17:54 pm »
I think they should reverse the recent trend of each Doctor being younger than the previous, and my vote goes to Nigel Terry (who was in The Doctor's Daughter but is best known for being King Arthur in Excalibur).

What trend? Matt Smith just happened to be younger than Tennent, who happened to be younger than Eccleston. Saying that there's a trend now would be like saying that there was a trend of the same thing after Pertwee, who was older than Baker, who was older than Davison. It just happened that they were the people hired for the role and not a conscious decision on the part of the show's crew.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 01:21:48 pm »
Well since we are considering all possibilities how about Rowan Atkinson. I can imagine him as the doctor. In fact I could even show you how he would play the doctor:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM</a>

No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Dan

• Apprentice
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 04:30:40 am »
What trend? Matt Smith just happened to be younger than Tennent, who happened to be younger than Eccleston.
That trend!
Saying that there's a trend now would be like saying that there was a trend of the same thing after Pertwee, who was older than Baker, who was older than Davison.
Yes.
It just happened that they were the people hired for the role and not a conscious decision on the part of the show's crew.
Never said it was deliberate.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 12:40:54 pm »
Never said it was deliberate.

Oh, ok, carry on then.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Jack Bauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Pope
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 04:37:37 am »
So when is there going to be a black Doctor?

Adrian Lester, now that Hustle has finished...
Part wolf, part pirate.

Offline Atheissimo

• Bishop
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 09:34:05 pm »
I very much doubt it will be a well known actor. All of the actors you have listed are instantly recognisable household names in the UK, even if they're less famous in the US, and that's not Who's style.

I'd imagine they'll pick somebody we've never even heard of at this moment. Hopefully they'll pull back from the Smith mould and go back towards Ecclestone a bit, even though I like his style I'm losing my patience with all the mugging and wackyness.

I doubt it'll be Cumberbatch either, he's already a bit too famous, plus he's too associated with the human version of The Doctor: Sherlock Holmes. I've already noticed how Moffatt and Gattiss' writing for both shows have made the characters uncomfortably similar in parts, so it would just be weird.

'You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched Star Trek? Good Lord.' - Sir Patrick Stewart

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 04:53:59 pm »
I very much doubt it will be a well known actor. All of the actors you have listed are instantly recognisable household names in the UK, even if they're less famous in the US, and that's not Who's style.

Sure it is. Eccleston wasn't uber-famous before Doctor Who, but he had turned up in 28 Days Later and The Second Coming. He was hardly unknown.

David Tennant was admittedly a little more obscure, but was gaining attention whilst portraying Casanova as somehow being Scottish.

Matt Smith, admittedly, was completely obscure.

Given this trend in reducing age and obscurity, my prediction is that the next Doctor will be a 13 year old homeless, friendless orphan found sleeping on the seating in BBC Wales' reception area.

Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 02:50:24 am »
And Tom Baker was a well-established actor by the time he took on the role.

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 08:23:35 am »
The new Doctor might not be known just yet but we have the new companion's actress out.