Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1089962 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #765 on: July 05, 2012, 05:53:25 pm »
Have love how "pro-lifers" argue their position, because they more or less defend cancer's right to exist a lot of times by default.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #766 on: July 05, 2012, 06:22:42 pm »
Also against The Flag Code.

I find the whole concept of a flag code a bit silly.

Same here. But it just seems to me that a lot of the folks that don’t find it so silly are also the ones most likely to be breaking said code to begin with.
-A Pen Name

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #767 on: July 06, 2012, 09:36:09 am »
I like at it this way. Many people want a sense of community in their life. Community comes from tradition and shared experience. To have "community" in a nation, you need something that transcends ideological differences. Most countries have their shared history often revolving around monarchical attitudes and a tradition based around class, and frankly, they have also had the time to move on and just understand that their country is their country, no matter what form.

The US is young. The only thing we have as a shared tradition in this country that isn't imported is, well, our government. We built it on the minds of other people from different places, but darn it all, that's what 'Mericans wrote that piece of paper. To many, the flag represents those ideals, and since we don't have that long and glorious history to cling to, we cling to our supposed right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Honestly, I like a little patriotism now and then. Feels like I'm pledging a personal oath to the ideals written in the Declaration. I also like being overly sentimental towards the flag. It helps remind me of the values we're supposed to associate with democracy and freedom, and personally, I do like to see that flag as one of many symbols I treat with respect. Yet, beyond enjoying the 4th and happily singing the anthem and what have you, I don't like people using patriotism as a tool of division. It should be used to unite people together, not be some partisan means to beginning an "us verses them" campaign.

Too long, didn't read: I actually like a little patriotism now and then, but assholes ruin it by taking it from "idea" to "belief" and turn it into a fucking loyalty litmess test. Fuck that bullshit.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #768 on: July 11, 2012, 01:45:26 am »
On the flag and pledge topic, I once heard from a British guy that such pledges aren't normal over there and that he found it pretty weird. They only other country he knew of that did such a thing that came to mind was Germany (during the late 30s early 40s of course). Is this accurate?

Many Europeans I have talked to think all the religious stuff going on in the states is insane. One said he felt sorry for us few sane ones over here, like me, who carries a 3" knife most of the time for defense from crazies. I know of people being brutally attacked for not being christian.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #769 on: July 11, 2012, 02:15:53 am »
I remember refusing to do the pledge in class (I think I was just sitting in my desk simply refusing to stand up). Even though I've tried to resist the warnings given by my teacher for standing up, I gave in. What my teacher didn't know was that I am only pretending to do stand up for the pledge by simply doing it wrong. For the rest of high school I've pretended to do the pledge. I will never understand why those assholes are so offended by the objection of the pledge. I have a god damn choice to be unpatriotic, thank you very much.

This is just something that will always upset me, and I can't even believe that there are kids that have to be put through this shit. The only thing worse than being forced to do the pledge against your will is that here in Texas our kids are also being indoctrinated by textbooks revised by people like the Texas GOP (and you guys know how nasty they are, and "nasty" is a gross understatement).

Many Europeans I have talked to think all the religious stuff going on in the states is insane. One said he felt sorry for us few sane ones over here, like me, who carries a 3" knife most of the time for defense from crazies. I know of people being brutally attacked for not being christian.
Oh shit, it looks like I might have to get a license to conceal a weapon, because I'm not going back to Christianity. Especially when a majority of Christians are hypocrites like those psychos you've mentioned. And I don't even understand why people have such a sick obsession with weapons, though sometimes self-defense can be nice when that time comes.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #770 on: July 11, 2012, 09:13:04 am »
I remember refusing to do the pledge in class (I think I was just sitting in my desk simply refusing to stand up). Even though I've tried to resist the warnings given by my teacher for standing up, I gave in. What my teacher didn't know was that I am only pretending to do stand up for the pledge by simply doing it wrong. For the rest of high school I've pretended to do the pledge. I will never understand why those assholes are so offended by the objection of the pledge. I have a god damn choice to be unpatriotic, thank you very much.

This is just something that will always upset me, and I can't even believe that there are kids that have to be put through this shit. The only thing worse than being forced to do the pledge against your will is that here in Texas our kids are also being indoctrinated by textbooks revised by people like the Texas GOP (and you guys know how nasty they are, and "nasty" is a gross understatement).

Oh shit, it looks like I might have to get a license to conceal a weapon, because I'm not going back to Christianity. Especially when a majority of Christians are hypocrites like those psychos you've mentioned. And I don't even understand why people have such a sick obsession with weapons, though sometimes self-defense can be nice when that time comes.
I would stick to tasers anyways basically that is what happened with me.  To me the pledge implies loyalty and respect and a wise man once said in response to the commandment to respect thy parents that it has to be earned. 

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #771 on: July 11, 2012, 09:57:54 am »
You can NOT be forced to stand for the pledge as far as I know. My high school had the pledge in the mornings, but only about half of us ever stood up (including me). It was just something I like to do.

I wish it would be easier to challenge the school, though. They'd likely suspend you for not standing up, and then you'd have to get the ALCU to help, and ugh.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #772 on: July 11, 2012, 10:16:02 am »

Can't tell if this goes here...

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #773 on: July 11, 2012, 10:19:10 am »

It does! Because being married is no guarantee that something bad won't happen as a result of marriage (not to mention that the marriage itself may become the bad thing). In fact this actually result in more divorces when people find out the only reason they marry is to have sex.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #774 on: July 11, 2012, 01:21:35 pm »

On your penis?
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #775 on: July 11, 2012, 06:06:22 pm »

Oh, so a little bit of gold is all it takes to cure any STD, huh?
-A Pen Name

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #776 on: July 11, 2012, 10:03:51 pm »

Because you know, straight folks are all oppressed an all.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #777 on: July 11, 2012, 10:06:35 pm »
Of course you won't remain silent. You never were silent to begin with.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #778 on: July 11, 2012, 10:15:43 pm »
Another one:

I'm fairly sure you never had to be in the closet. Either at home or at large in the public sphere.

Offline Quasirodent

• Pope
  • You knew it in your heart all along.
« Reply #779 on: July 11, 2012, 10:43:43 pm »

Because you know, straight folks are all oppressed an all.

Are you sure these guys aren't being ironic/sarcastic?  I can see this as being supportive of gay equality in that way.
Jesus had two dads and he turned out okay.