Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1089676 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #570 on: May 29, 2012, 01:28:26 pm »
Here is a good commentary on why saying abortion harms the African American community is racist:

It’s racist because it frames the Black community, and black women* in particular, as violent and dangerous. Are the people who made the billboard concerned about the black community or are they just playing on stereotypes of POC in order to achieve their ends? They are attempting to elicit sympathy and concern for black children while simultaneously vilifying black women (and other people who are able to get pregnant). That’s why it’s racist.

Another problem with this billboard is that it makes it seem as if black women* are being somehow targeted for abortion services. This is ridiculous. It’s true that in the US black women* are disproportionately represented when it comes to abortion. But what anti-abortion advocates either haven’t seemed to figure out (or hope that the general public isn’t able to figure out) is that there is an important intervening variable they’re ignoring: economic status. People with lower socioeconomic status and less stable financial situations are more likely to choose abortion due to the fact that they are unable to afford a(nother) pregnancy or child.

Is there racism involved here? Certainly. And though it may be reflected in the racial and ethnic breakdown abortion rates, it would be an incorrect conclusion to label the existence of safe, legal abortion as the problem. The problem lies in the institutional and systemic racism that keeps black people (and black women especially) in poverty. Of course it’s sad when a person has to terminate an otherwise wanted pregnancy because they can’t afford it or afford to take care of the resulting child. But the way to fix this is not by diverting attention from the real problem by creating a false enemy out of abortion— it’s by attacking the systems and institutions that cause a person to be lacking financial resources in the first place. This includes attacking institutional and systemic racism, misogyny, ciscentrism, and transphobia.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Distind

« Reply #571 on: May 29, 2012, 01:32:10 pm »
Two things, what does the * mean attached to black women in that?

This includes attacking institutional and systemic racism, misogyny, ciscentrism, and transphobia.
And is it just me or did the last two of these come flying in low over left field?

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #572 on: May 29, 2012, 01:35:22 pm »
You know, I'm not sure. I've seen the * used with transgender.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

QueenofHearts

« Reply #573 on: May 29, 2012, 07:13:48 pm »
You know, I'm not sure. I've seen the * used with transgender.

I've seen the * used with Trans as well and from what I was told it meant was that "trans*" is somehow more inclusive than "trans" and think the author of that piece was trying to do the same. I don't understand the whole * thing either, and a side of me rolls my eyes at it as nothing but people just trying to do things differently, but I don't think that detracts from the piece. The piece addresses the issue of why the billboard is racist perfectly by pointing out that in making children of color the victims, pro-life society will demonize women of color. It also does a good job of addressing underlying causes which create that trend.

I think it threw in the last two at the end as other sorts of societal and economic discrimination in our society (it came from a pro-choice* feminist author to the best of my research). While the latter two will rarely cause abortions, they are equally wrong.

*EDIT: D'oh. I meant pro-choice and had a brain slip and typed pro-life (probably because the author's name or my having a derp moment). Gyeonghwa's right and thanks for the correction.  :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:52:33 pm by QueenofHearts »

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #574 on: May 29, 2012, 09:28:43 pm »
Actually I think the name of the author was Safe legal abortion is pro-life. But then again, pro-choice is pro-life.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #575 on: May 30, 2012, 04:47:44 am »
Actually trans* is just for a shorthand so you don't have to go 'transmen, transwomen, trans---'

Why it's attached to black women I'm not sure tho... *shrugs* I could've sworn it was just a footnote symbol and there was more to things.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 04:51:58 am by Commander Shepard »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #576 on: May 30, 2012, 10:23:07 am »
Ah, that make sense.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #577 on: May 30, 2012, 09:17:39 pm »
Because having a baby you can't afford and being impoverished for at least the next decade is a MUCH better option, isn't it?

At least two decades. You are (legally) responsible for the first 18 years. Add the prior 5-9 months with doctors visits, furniture and such, hospital expenses, dietary changes. So you are looking at close to 19 years right now, but we're not done yet. You still have to get back to X (X being prechild financial level).

Can't you give the child? up for foster care if you can't take care of it.

Except that foster parents can sent you off to be raised by a different family whenever they get sick of you.  Kids in the foster system are shuffled around constantly, creating instability in their lives that makes normal intellectual and psychosocial development a LOT more difficult.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #578 on: May 30, 2012, 10:26:12 pm »

Okay... Maybe it's just me, but that kinda looks like the castle from the Little Mermaid.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #579 on: May 30, 2012, 10:49:17 pm »
Complete with phallic towers no less.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #580 on: May 30, 2012, 10:54:01 pm »

Okay... Maybe it's just me, but that kinda looks like the castle from the Little Mermaid.

To be quite honest, from what I've seen and read(especially from fundies), God seems to be a complete asshole and Satan is quite a nice guy.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #581 on: May 31, 2012, 07:31:54 am »
Because having a baby you can't afford and being impoverished for at least the next decade is a MUCH better option, isn't it?

At least two decades. You are (legally) responsible for the first 18 years. Add the prior 5-9 months with doctors visits, furniture and such, hospital expenses, dietary changes. So you are looking at close to 19 years right now, but we're not done yet. You still have to get back to X (X being prechild financial level).

Can't you give the child? up for foster care if you can't take care of it.

Except that foster parents can sent you off to be raised by a different family whenever they get sick of you.  Kids in the foster system are shuffled around constantly, creating instability in their lives that makes normal intellectual and psychosocial development a LOT more difficult.

Plus, you know, even getting to the point of being able to deliver the child into the foster system can be a problem, too. All that prenatal care is plenty expensive. If you can’t afford to raise the child, can you afford to carry it to term?
-A Pen Name

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #582 on: May 31, 2012, 01:01:10 pm »
I used to be behind the 'carry to term then give up for adoption' argument. But once you learn quite a few things, have friends who went through the foster system, you're adopted yourself, the argument becomes extremely ignorant and short-sighted.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #583 on: May 31, 2012, 01:32:48 pm »
I used to be behind the 'carry to term then give up for adoption' argument. But once you learn quite a few things, have friends who went through the foster system, you're adopted yourself, the argument becomes extremely ignorant and short-sighted.

Absolutely is. However, it's short enough to fit into a soundbite. And that seems to be the way "news" is heading. Soundbites and sensationalism. Real solutions, the ones that won't fit ona bumper sticker, or take longer than 30 seconds to say, tend to go over heads. Or just not get featured. Sad, really, but it's the world we live in.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #584 on: May 31, 2012, 08:14:11 pm »