Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1090689 times)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #510 on: May 23, 2012, 05:24:55 am »
I take it the two recently acquired "Fuck No"s are from my last comment. Maybe I wasn't reading the post I quoted right. Which part is a is/ought fallacy(which I can't say I know what is). I probably RAGE posted out of anger at sign. Can you two clarify what's wrong with my post. I'm sure there's something wrong with it, I just want clarification on what and why for future reference and more enlightened posting in the future. I probably shouldn't have added that last sentence to the post.

An is/ought fallacy (also called a naturalistic fallacy) is a fallacious argument using the existence of a phenomenal to argue in favour of said phenomenon. It is, therefore it ought to be. If you want to see an example of this, read any post by m52nickerson (snark).

Basically, you were doing this. You responded to a post criticising beautyism (is that a thing?) by pointing out that judgement on the basis of appearance is common. As far as I'm concerned, that's fallacious.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #511 on: May 23, 2012, 09:20:05 am »
Can we please get this back on topic?

We're still discussing the images, so it's not veering off topic.

I read that at least one of her diets involves almost no protein and another involves "cleansing" (basically eating and drinking nothing but weird cocktails).

Ah. Then yeah, that's unhealthy.

Basically, you were doing this. You responded to a post criticising beautyism (is that a thing?) by pointing out that judgement on the basis of appearance is common. As far as I'm concerned, that's fallacious.

I think he misread the original post as being a denial that "beautyism" exists, hence his post.

If you want to see an example of this, read any post by m52nickerson (snark).

You're evil. So very evil.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:21:51 am by Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #512 on: May 23, 2012, 12:03:22 pm »
Can we please get this back on topic?

We are on topic.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #513 on: May 23, 2012, 01:19:53 pm »
If a soldier/athlete/firefighter made the same comments as Gwyneth about needing to work hard to maintain their physical conditioning in order to keep their job would anyone think twice about it?

At least she acknowledges that it is not an easy thing to do which is better than what you usually hear since a lot of people like to pretend that it's not really any effort and you are just being lazy. Now all we need to hear is a quote about how it took four hours of makeup, another two to get the right shot, and three more doing photo editing in order for her to look that good.

Offline Quasirodent

• Pope
  • You knew it in your heart all along.
« Reply #514 on: May 23, 2012, 01:49:25 pm »
If a soldier/athlete/firefighter made the same comments as Gwyneth about needing to work hard to maintain their physical conditioning in order to keep their job would anyone think twice about it?

Well, to my mind, the effort to maintain a high-maintenance level of physical condition is required for those jobs, but it really isn't for acting - except that Hollywood has made it so, in its promotion of unrealistic body images - normal is Hollywood fat, after all.
But being skinny doesn't make anyone a better actor.
Nor would it make anyone a better musician.
Jesus had two dads and he turned out okay.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #515 on: May 23, 2012, 02:48:08 pm »
But being skinny doesn't make anyone a better actor.

To be a good actor you have to be able to deliver your lines convincingly, but being a visual medium, you also have to look the part. Unfortunately for women, most parts seem to be 'hot <fill in the blank>' and hot seems to be defined in part as something that is rare and out of the reach of the masses and Hollywood is going with skinny right now.

Nor would it make anyone a better musician.

To be a good commercial pop musician skinny may well make you better since these days it seems how good you look is more important than how good you sound.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #516 on: May 23, 2012, 04:28:30 pm »
I would disagree with your wording. Being thin doesn't make you a better actor or musician, it makes you a more commercially successful actor or musician (for reasons that have nothing to do with talent/skill).

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #517 on: May 26, 2012, 03:12:03 pm »

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 03:19:55 pm by thejebusfire »

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #518 on: May 26, 2012, 03:16:50 pm »
Because having a baby you can't afford and being impoverished for at least the next decade is a MUCH better option, isn't it?
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #519 on: May 26, 2012, 03:30:34 pm »
Because having a baby you can't afford and being impoverished for at least the next decade is a MUCH better option, isn't it?

Oh I know right, and that poverty will probably fuck up the child's future. Not to mention the pregnancy could destroy the mother.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #520 on: May 26, 2012, 03:39:03 pm »
But at least the child was born. That's all anti-choicers seem to care about.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #521 on: May 26, 2012, 03:45:04 pm »
Once you're born, you're SOL.  If some pro-lifers put as much energy into helping the born as well as the unborn... well... What am I saying, like that'll ever happen.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #522 on: May 26, 2012, 04:04:48 pm »
Why's it so difficult for people to keep their holy books out of other people's vaginae?  Just...leave people alone unless they ask for your input.  Its not that difficult.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Kristine

• The Beast
« Reply #523 on: May 26, 2012, 04:21:02 pm »

I see a woman with her hands on her pregnant belly - I see that it is her choice to assume that burden of a child and love and take care of it (or give it up to someone who will) - or if she doesn't think she can do that, then I see a hard choice for the WOMAN WHO IS PREGNANT - to end that pregnancy.

I always think it's funny that they show a pregnant woman or a fetus (usually after 20 weeks) when they get all indignant rather than the thing that looks like a malformed duck

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #524 on: May 26, 2012, 04:25:12 pm »
I always thought it was kinda cool, how in the stages of development, the fetus seems to go through a series of changes that mirrors evolution a bit.