Author Topic: Scientists have grown the embryos of a extinct species  (Read 9075 times)

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: Scientists have grown the embryos of a extinct species
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 06:57:57 pm »
...Assuming the DNA of a neanderthal was available, would they be able to grow one in a human or something?  :o

A little while back there was a scientist who was offering cash to a woman who would volunteer to gestate the first Neanderthal fetus and deliver it by C-section.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 12:11:23 am »
i hope they can bring back the Thylacine...

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 02:12:19 am »
I think that as science improves, the viability of literally returning extinct species to life will become a reality. After managing to get something extinct to actually survive to adulthood, the next step is figuring out how to "customize" DNA to basically build our own  genetic material. That opens the door to unbelievable possibilities regarding cloning.

And actually, both of those parts are steadily progressing. The hard part is sequencing the genome of what you want; DNA doesn't last more than a million years usually, and you need a parent species anyways (at least until we're able to totally customize biology and build our own eggs to fertilize). Dodo? Pretty easy if we can find DNA. Dinosaurs? Not so much.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 02:17:32 am »
This just can't end well.  Hasn't anybody watched Jurassic Park!?
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 02:44:46 am »

Sure. A bunch of carnivorous and highly dangerous monsters are built without government approval, but remain strictly under control and restricted to a single pair of islands until the protagonists break them out of captivity and intentionally sabotage the efforts of the only competent people around in the name of "wildlife preservation" until a T-Rex is unleashed on San Francisco.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 02:55:25 am »
I can see this being used to bring back delicious species, such as the Beluga and the dodo.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 03:02:20 am »
the next step is figuring out how to "customize" DNA to basically build our own  genetic material. That opens the door to unbelievable possibilities regarding cloning.
LASER BEARSHARKOSAURUS REX

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 03:15:25 am »
...Assuming the DNA of a neanderthal was available, would they be able to grow one in a human or something?  :o

A little while back there was a scientist who was offering cash to a woman who would volunteer to gestate the first Neanderthal fetus and deliver it by C-section.

I remember reading about that. It was actually a misquote of a scientist who was interviewed for a German magazine (Der Spiegel I think) and it was actually him talking about a hypothetical situation.

I think that as science improves, the viability of literally returning extinct species to life will become a reality. After managing to get something extinct to actually survive to adulthood, the next step is figuring out how to "customize" DNA to basically build our own  genetic material. That opens the door to unbelievable possibilities regarding cloning.

And actually, both of those parts are steadily progressing. The hard part is sequencing the genome of what you want; DNA doesn't last more than a million years usually, and you need a parent species anyways (at least until we're able to totally customize biology and build our own eggs to fertilize). Dodo? Pretty easy if we can find DNA. Dinosaurs? Not so much.

You know how birds are said to be some of the closest descendants to dinosaurs? Well I remember seeing a program on the Science Channel or something that explored this. One thing they did was take a chicken egg and they changed the DNA so that certain "switches" where either flipped on or off so as to achieve the result they wanted. As the embryo grew it was observed to be behaving as predicted in that it grew a longer tail, teeth like structures on the beak, and other traits that made it look very dinosaur like. They ended up destroying it before it was close to hatching. I've always wondered what would happen if such a creature was allowed to grow until it hatched... We need to use a ostrich egg next time though.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 03:20:12 am »
I can see this being used to bring back delicious species, such as the Beluga and the dodo.

This is actually an interesting proposition: what will the meat and animal products industry look like if science is able to freely and cheaply clone all sorts of species, including extinct ones? Will dodo cutlet become the new filet mignon if they can be grown?

This goes hand-in-hand with the thread on "printing body parts" and "printing bacon", where lab-grown cells are rapidly combined into tissue. Proper scientific endeavors will be a great boon for agriculture, as there will be less restrictions on land usage and fewer ethical problems with lab-grown meat.

You know how birds are said to be some of the closest descendants to dinosaurs? Well I remember seeing a program on the Science Channel or something that explored this. One thing they did was take a chicken egg and they changed the DNA so that certain "switches" where either flipped on or off so as to achieve the result they wanted. As the embryo grew it was observed to be behaving as predicted in that it grew a longer tail, teeth like structures on the beak, and other traits that made it look very dinosaur like. They ended up destroying it before it was close to hatching. I've always wondered what would happen if such a creature was allowed to grow until it hatched... We need to use a ostrich egg next time though.

"Cloning dinosaurs" will probably turn out a lot like the Jurassic Park novel: Wu notes to Hammond that they're not REALLY cloning dinosaurs, but rather making new monsters that have never existed in nature that just seem like dinosaurs. While actually bringing a dinosaur back to life is extremely difficult, creating a custom species that greatly resembles dinosaurs is much easier.

Offline Carnotaurus

• Neonate
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 10:24:06 am »
"Cloning dinosaurs" will probably turn out a lot like the Jurassic Park novel: Wu notes to Hammond that they're not REALLY cloning dinosaurs, but rather making new monsters that have never existed in nature that just seem like dinosaurs. While actually bringing a dinosaur back to life is extremely difficult, creating a custom species that greatly resembles dinosaurs is much easier.

In the future, we'll all be playing Pokemon for real!

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 02:06:02 pm »
I don't watch crap.  :P

Offline dedbydaawn

• Neonate
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 11:50:02 pm »
Sure. A bunch of carnivorous and highly dangerous monsters are built without government approval, but remain strictly under control and restricted to a single pair of islands until the protagonists break them out of captivity and intentionally sabotage the efforts of the only competent people around in the name of "wildlife preservation" until a T-Rex is unleashed on San Francisco.

*San Diego.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 08:19:14 am »
Allosaurus is actually my favorite animal, but as no dinosaur DNA has ever been found (or is likely to be found) I doubt there's any way to bring one back to life.

Never say never.

Justin Biebersaur

You mean Bondosaur.

Or a strange hybrid of the two.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 12:34:40 pm »
If Wu continues with chicken embryo gene manipulation, he could sorta "resurrect" an  Archaeopteryx analog

(click to show/hide)

I wanna see a giant sloth, though (use a grizzly bear to gestate it maybe?)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOuoci_Uu0o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOuoci_Uu0o</a>

(What a crime to call that monkey suit a Megatherium XD)

And while their at it, Pterodactyls, please?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laCdAPntP20" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laCdAPntP20</a>

(Ouch....my sides hurt XD)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 12:52:13 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 07:24:50 pm »
Allosaurus is actually my favorite animal, but as no dinosaur DNA has ever been found (or is likely to be found) I doubt there's any way to bring one back to life.

Never say never.

Justin Biebersaur

You mean Bondosaur.

Or a strange hybrid of the two.

You did this.