Author Topic: The new Windows 8  (Read 5612 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: The new Windows 8
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 07:26:51 am »
I'm personally not sure touch screen monitors are common enough to warrant building an entire OS around them. Sure, offering touch screen support is fine, but it should only be an optional extra.

Yeah, I too will be sticking to Windows 7. I do hope this bombs horribly, then Microsoft will hopefully make something a little more sensible.

Saturn500

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 08:46:32 am »
Please, tell me they're at least keeping Windows 7 support

Why wouldn't Valve do that?

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 09:04:38 am »
Best part of this, it's all their Metro Opps! Lawsuit! err... windows 8 interface.

But yeah this is designed around smart devices, not home computers. It'll make Vista look like a jewel in comparison, at least on real computers.
So my comment of "it's all icky and smartphoney" when I first saw screenshots of what Win8 was going to look like was accurate then?

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 09:15:23 am »
Looks like it.

Distind

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 10:46:06 am »
Dead on. It's been being openly mocked for that since it first cropped up.

Though it is an interesting idea to have a consistent feel between systems, it's just not practical given the completely different methods of use. My guess is some stuffed shirt made the decision that he never wanted to use anything but his phone again and stuff everyone else who actually know what a computer can do.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 09:37:05 am »
they're keeping 7 and 8 support they are just annoyed at Microsoft.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 05:26:29 pm »
Haven't upgraded past Vista and after checking out 8 on YouTube doesn't look like I'll bother with this one. The whole start menu thnig looks incredibly annoying to deal with.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 07:00:22 pm »

I don't think they'd drop Win7, but...some bitches is dumb.

Like whoever thought porting the interface for the 360 over to the PC and calling it an operating system would be a good idea.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Saturn500

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 07:27:29 pm »

Like whoever thought porting the interface for the 360 Windows Phone over to the PC 360 and calling it an operating system update would be a good idea.

Fixed.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 08:56:29 pm »
So I got ahold of Windows 8 RTM for a sneak peak...

MICROSOFT! WHAT HAVE YOU DDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

You monsterdly monsters, you bastardly bastards you completely removed the start menu! It’s not even buried in the code, it’s gone completely! As a result I have to dig through the Metro UI to:

Log off

To Shutdown or sleep or restart or hibernate you have to log off first to do this, I am not joking!

Any program that uses multiple executables DO NOT integrate well with Metro! Try installing VMware Workstation 9 only to be shut of most to the features because a panel is not created for them in Metro! Hell the Virtual Network Editor has to be manually browsed to!

Picture, video, document, ect views should not start full screen EVER. There is no need what so ever. PERIOD. Especially when the document viewer does not display documents are a visible zoom! To exit any of those ALWAYS FULLSCREEN windows you have to alt+F4!

Almost everything on the Metro UI requires a Microsoft account too. Hell you have to create an account during the installation process otherwise you can not install Windows 8

This is absolutely positively fucking atrocious to unprecedented levels of atrocity...there are no words that do not delve into angrish to describe the utter "oh god what the fuck were they thinking" levels of agrgargrjrgrkrgkh MAIM KILL BURN.

The only good thing was "Windows to go" which allows me to boot Windows 8 off USB devices seriously fucking fast. And then I discovered that Windows 8 Pro not only Enterprise could do that.

Like whoever thought porting the interface for the 360 Windows Phone over to the PC 360 and calling it an operating system update would be a good idea.

Fixed.

Oh god you do not know the half of it. Xbox live (aka "Xbox service") services are intertwined into Metro. Microsoft does not want to port an Xbox interface to a PC they want a PC to be an Xbox.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:16:02 pm by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 01:14:51 am »
Looks at the Windows 8 preview...

HOLY SHIT!

honestly. keep windows 8 away from me! keep it the fuck away! 

I think i will stick with Windows XP Right now..

Later when i build my new computer i will get windows 7

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 07:26:05 am »
Looks at the Windows 8 preview...

HOLY SHIT!

honestly. keep windows 8 away from me! keep it the fuck away! 

I think i will stick with Windows XP Right now..

Later when i build my new computer i will get windows 7

If that's what you are planning on doing, you had better go ahead and get your Win7 copy now while it is still available.   When Win8 hits the market, you probably won't be able to get Win7 once everybody sells out of their stock.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2012, 11:26:55 am »
So that is why Valve doesn't like Windows 8  It seems like so many programs are unuseable

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2012, 12:02:04 pm »
So that is why Valve doesn't like Windows 8  It seems like so many programs are unuseable

Thats not the half of it. SO many firewalls and anti-virus (except nod32) software are broken its not even funny. No Zonealarm for the time being.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2012, 01:03:20 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0fsyb-ttcw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0fsyb-ttcw</a>

Jesus Christ, who let the moron who designed the Xbox dashboard get their hands on a PC OS.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 01:06:27 pm by VirtualStranger »