Author Topic: The new Windows 8  (Read 5618 times)

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
The new Windows 8
« on: October 07, 2012, 12:13:37 pm »
Has anyone seen the previews/reviews of Windows 8? The thing looks like crap, like some weird kindergarten teaching tool as well as it looking like a glorified PowerPoint presentation.

I for one will not be upgrading to this dreck and if Microsoft keeps this ugly trend for 9, 10 I probably will invest in getting a Mac or use a Linux distro.

So if you have seen it, what do you all think?
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
Re: The new Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 12:45:30 pm »
I won't be upgrading, either.  Win8 is based on the incredibly successful (::))Windows phone OS and is designed for use with touch screen monitors.  And you're right.  From what I've seen of it, it is ugly as all get out.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Saturn500

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 01:37:17 pm »
I'll stick with Windows 7, thank you very much. At least it's not using one of the worst interfaces of all time.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 01:39:03 pm »
Yeah I'm sticking with Windows 7 right until games stop supporting it or when Windows 9 comes out whichever happens first.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 02:54:48 pm »
I nearly vomited when I went to the Windows 8 wiki, so I'll wait and see what Windows 9 is like. Microsoft loves to alternate between a good and a shitty OS, so I'm hoping they stick to that pattern and release something good after 8.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 05:18:11 pm »
Yeah I'm sticking with Windows 7 right until games stop supporting it or when Windows 9 comes out whichever happens first.

I am hoping that Windows 9 will somewhat revert back to it's original format but maybe have the new apps additions be an option that one can disable. I realize that Microsoft wants to and has to change to be more modern, however this dual UI is too abrupt and doesn't fit on a desktop or laptop which those technologies will still be around for at least 2-3 generations, maybe longer.

I nearly vomited when I went to the Windows 8 wiki, so I'll wait and see what Windows 9 is like. Microsoft loves to alternate between a good and a shitty OS, so I'm hoping they stick to that pattern and release something good after 8.

It also seems that Microsoft is hellbent on trying to "modernize" the OS with this shitty dual interface that I am wondering if they will not change it back to it's original form. They could do a sort of hybridization or program it to make sliding motions but still retain the actual frames and foundations of the OS that they are know for, which is....windows, multiple windows that make multitasking on a computer easier and which is why Microsoft became so big in first fucking place.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 05:32:29 pm »

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 06:51:34 pm »
^^ That sums it up perfectly.

There's a big difference between the ideal tablet interface and the ideal desktop interface. Keep them separate.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 06:55:22 pm »
That diagram's missing Win2K and WinNT!  Incomplete, I say!  Bah!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 07:54:55 pm »
Well... XP uses the NT kernel...

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 09:52:06 pm »
98 was awful.  Also you're not the only ones who hate this Valve said they're gonna go for unbuntu.  Managed to get L4D2 to run better on one

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 11:17:54 pm »
Wow, so...instead of skipping Windows 8 support, they're going to go to an operating system a tiny, nigh-insignificant fraction of PC users operate?  Please, tell me they're at least keeping Windows 7 support, otherwise, Valve's gonna lose all respect I held for them, because that's just a plain idiotic business move.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 06:10:31 am »
I'm not a gamer but I am wondering if Valve is staying with Win 8 or are they completely cutting them off and going with Unbuntu?

Distind

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 06:36:52 am »
Best part of this, it's all their Metro Opps! Lawsuit! err... windows 8 interface.

But yeah this is designed around smart devices, not home computers. It'll make Vista look like a jewel in comparison, at least on real computers.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 07:17:08 am »
The only complaint I have with windows 8 is that it will only accept windows proprietary software. Basically they are trying to beat Apple, by being more like Apple. I wont be upgrading if this is the case because quite simply I work as a developer, and if only Microsoft certified software will work on the OS, then my job is screwed, as are many other IT peoples. IN short this OS of theirs seems like a particularly poor idea.