Author Topic: Image Quotes  (Read 3844 times)

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
Image Quotes
« on: March 03, 2012, 02:39:23 am »
Would it be possible to turn a linked image into a smaller thumbnail whenever it's inside a quote? This would improve the page layout and eliminate the redundancy of having to scroll past the same huge image multiple times in the same thread.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
Re: Image Quotes
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 12:37:14 am »
Is there a way we can adjust the size of an image, like Wikipedia or our avatars?
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 12:58:24 am »
Perhaps optional size arguments in the IMG tags?  Like: [img width=320px height=240px]

I admit, I don't really know how these things work, but that's how I'd do it.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 07:31:02 am »
Perhaps optional size arguments in the IMG tags?  Like: [img width=320px height=240px]

I admit, I don't really know how these things work, but that's how I'd do it.
That would change the display size of the image, but not the actual file size. If the original image was, say, 3200 by 2400 pixels, you would still have to download all that data before the browser could resize it to 320 by 240. So it would eat up bandwidth and download time just the same, even if it made the display more bearable.

I think the better solution, though, would be to automatically spoiler images or convert them to links when they are quoted. But that would take quite a bit of work, I think.

That said, if you, personally, are okay with the download a large image, but display it smaller tactic, you could look into setting up a user stylesheet for your browser. “blockquote.bbc_standard_quote img {max-width: 320px; max-height: 240px; }” should automatically constrict quoted images for you.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:35:31 am by N. De Plume »
-A Pen Name

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 01:19:36 pm »
I thought this was more about display size than bandwidth to begin with...overlarge images tend to screw up a post with those little scroll bars and shit.  Though, least its better than ProBoards borking the whole bloody page because of one overlarge image.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Neith

• Bishop
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 01:12:18 am »
Regarding bandwidth, the image would more than likely be cached after the first viewing anyway.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 07:20:17 am »
Regarding bandwidth, the image would more than likely be cached after the first viewing anyway.
Up until some jackass quotes all 10 large images from page 2 three weeks later, putting them back up on page 12, well after your cache has been cleared. But maybe that’s a corner case. ;)
-A Pen Name

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 06:00:13 pm »
How about converting [img] tags into [url] tags whenever they are placed inside a quote? That seems like it would be pretty simple.

Offline Neith

• Bishop
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 02:28:33 am »
Good point, N. De Plume.

VirtualStranger, that does sound pretty simple.