Author Topic: Illinois Gay Marriage...maybe get?  (Read 4624 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Illinois Gay Marriage...maybe get?
« on: January 10, 2012, 06:39:33 pm »
Yeah seems there's a bright spot in another Midwest state....Illinois wants to join the modern world

Really love it when the Conservitards scream family values and how this will destroy yet they haven't criminalize divorce yet.  Wonder why?

Ironbite-but hey...another tidal wave that erodes America's dismal gay rights record is ok in my book

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
Re: Illinois Gay Marriage...maybe get?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 12:54:44 am »
Supported by: Chicago

Opposed by: The rest of the state.

Offline Jodie

• Cyborg Wannabe
  • Pope
  • WTF???
    • Doodles and stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 06:24:06 am »
Really love it when the Conservitards scream family values and how this will destroy yet they haven't criminalize divorce yet.  Wonder why?

Yeah, why exactly haven't they tried that yet? I'm surprised, tbh.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Corinthians 13: 4-7

Distind

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 06:43:12 am »

Do a check on how many conservative politicians haven't had one in the course of their careers. I think newt's on a personal crusade to make up for those who do manage to go without getting one.

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:47:46 am »
Supported by: Chicago

Opposed by: The rest of the state.

This.  The only reason IL goes Democrat is because of Chicago and the proliferation of polling places within the city.  Hell, even the county that Chicago is in is largely Republican (beyond the city, I mean).

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 11:46:06 am »

Do a check on how many conservative politicians haven't had one in the course of their careers. I think newt's on a personal crusade to make up for those who do manage to go without getting one.
There is a specific reason, people in power think the rules do not apply to them.  Gingrinch even said that in response if Obama fired judges who didn't agree with his positions.
Also hope this passes it would be nice but Illinois is so rural except for Chicago.   Also it's Illinois so assume election rigging.

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 12:01:32 pm »
Even ignoring some of the issues like it being heavily rural, I'm not sure they can get the support when Illinois already has civil unions. A pro-gay marriage movement could convince people to support it that really want civil unions instead, because it's close enough, but once there are civil unions less people are going to bother because they see the work as already done.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 12:08:48 pm »
Even ignoring some of the issues like it being heavily rural, I'm not sure they can get the support when Illinois already has civil unions. A pro-gay marriage movement could convince people to support it that really want civil unions instead, because it's close enough, but once there are civil unions less people are going to bother because they see the work as already done.
If I lived in Illinois I would use the argument that civil unions do not work well in the same way that separate but equal did not work.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 12:09:01 pm »
Here's crossing my fingers that it passes.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 12:10:19 pm »
If I lived in Illinois I would use the argument that civil unions do not work well in the same way that separate but equal did not work.
And that is a valid argument, but we should both know by now how well people respond to pure logic.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 12:14:23 pm »
And that is a valid argument, but we should both know by now how well people respond to pure logic.
True seeing how Rick Santorum outright rejected logic and people applauded it. 

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 12:43:31 pm »

Our civil unions are so close to marriage, that I honestly thought we already had it.  I think the only thing missing is the word itself and the federal benefits portion. 

I'm a gay marriage supporter, for the record.  Alternatively, I would support removing the word "marriage" altogether and making the legal contract that consenting adults enter in to just "civil union" across the board.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 11:23:59 am »
Alternatively, I would support removing the word "marriage" altogether and making the legal contract that consenting adults enter in to just "civil union" across the board.
This. So much this. If only to further separate church and state, the line has to be drawn between marriage as a spiritual commitment and “mariiage”/civil union as a financial contract.
-A Pen Name