Author Topic: Smites  (Read 19468 times)

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
Smites
« on: August 08, 2012, 01:47:16 pm »
Due to the recent smite-related issues, I think we should take a poll to see how we all really feel about this system.

I know we voted on this in the beginning, but we all pretty much agreed to have the system as long as it doesn't get abused. Lo and behold, it's being abused.

I left in the option to change your vote, because I'm not sure if it's possible to have only positive smites. So if it isn't, you can change your vote accordingly.
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
Re: Smites
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 01:52:45 pm »
Exalts-only is a good idea.

If that isn't possible and smiting is just going to cause drama, we should get rid of it altogether.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 03:20:47 pm »
I think there'll still be drama over positive numbers, and it's intimidating for newbies. I say we get rid of it altogether.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 04:49:45 pm »
I say kill it. Makes me feel self conscious about my board status :p
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 05:16:41 pm »
I think there'll still be drama over positive numbers

You can't actively be mean to someone, though. You can refuse to give them an exalt, but it doesn't have the same impact as being deliberately negative. I don't think it would cause nearly as much drama.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 05:49:25 pm »
We could have a system in which good posts are "thanked", either by name or anonymously.

Someone has been downvoting me a lot lately, for no good reason.  I don't know for sure who it is, though I have my suspicions.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 06:50:47 pm »
I think there'll still be drama over positive numbers

You can't actively be mean to someone, though. You can refuse to give them an exalt, but it doesn't have the same impact as being deliberately negative. I don't think it would cause nearly as much drama.

There wouldn't be as much drama over positives as there is over negatives, yes, but I think there's still the potential for folks to get upset over others having ridiculously inflated numbers. That and it's fucking stupid to have arbitrary numbers on a forum.

I can't speak for all newbies, but if I were new to the board, it'd be something that would make me feel iffy about joining and becoming part of the community. I'd feel like an outsider, more than usual.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 07:36:51 pm »
Having the positive exalts may not cause too much immediate harm, but it doesn't add anything important or useful and does nothing to improve the quality of the forum.

Give me one positive effect that an exalt system will have on the forum as a whole. What does it add to the forum experience that justifies keeping it? And how does that outweigh the potential harm that could come from it?

I would compare it to your appendix. It has no useful function and has a significant chance of becoming infected, so you'd be better off not having it in the first place.

An exalt system would essentially be an "I am approximately this popular among other forum members" meter, and honestly, who gives a fuck?

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 02:25:09 am »
I said this in the previous forum.

We should name them "WTF" and "Meh"
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 05:45:13 am »
Honestly, I don't care either way.  I don't smite people anyway.  If I disagree I disagree.  I still Exalt though, even though we no longer have a Sexy Images thread.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 06:04:01 am »
The way I see it, if there's drama centred around smites, the smites aren't the problem. They're merely a symptom of the fact that we've a number of passive-agressive dumbfucks in our midst. Getting rid of smites will do all of jack shit to address the real issue at hand.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 09:18:54 am »
The way I see it, if there's drama centred around smites, the smites aren't the problem. They're merely a symptom of the fact that we've a number of passive-agressive dumbfucks in our midst. Getting rid of smites will do all of jack shit to address the real issue at hand.

I have to agree. I enjoy the applauds/smites, but they're not the problem, they're a tool. The ideal purpose of such is to give newbies some indication of who the well thought out posters are (Sandman) and who the trouble makers are. Maybe that was not the intention here, but I was active at another site that had them before joining and that was their intent. I think that if they lead a long time poster to post less, and even leave, then the people who smote said person should be taken care of because IMHO, that amounts to bullying and I'd like to think that this board is better than that.

Though, I think something should change. Maybe it should be made that smites/applauds are no longer anonymous (such as at the site I mentioned earlier). This way, if a poster has -2000, the poster as well as the board can see the main culprits responsible. The site I mentioned earlier also had a reason for smite/applauds, which some people here have shown interest in knowing why they were applauded/smote. This also reduces smites given to solely those who deserve it (in the poster's opinion) or given as a joke (such as I gave to Maybenever in the F&B thread, a few others gave me, or 95+ percent of Mlle's Antichrist's). This would also give various members who have been smote a chance to correct an offensive action if the choose to. However, I can understand that people may prefer to stay anonymous or this may cause further drama. If its not made public, then I think its best to be gotten rid of since smites&applauds have been and may be abused in the future.

In case anyone is interested, the site is Susans. Its a transgender support website.

ETA (after Art's post but not towards it): Though I will say this, I think that if we end up losing such a system because of a few posters, it really doesn't speak well of the board. FSTDT is supposed to be a site that mocks irrationality and stupidity and we hardly have the moral high ground when there are members who are too immature so as to spoil us having such a +/- system. Just my two cents on the whole thing. Also, I'm indifferent as to whether or not we keep it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:48:32 am by QueenofHearts »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 09:35:56 am »
Though, I think something should change. Maybe it should be made that smites/applauds are no longer anonymous (such as at the site I mentioned earlier). This way, if a poster has -2000, the poster as well as the board can see the main culprits responsible. The site I mentioned earlier also had a reason for smite/applauds, which some people here have shown interest in knowing why they were applauded/smote.
Though if that's not possible (I think Simple Machines simply doesn't allow for exalts/smites to be traced), then another system I quite like is what they have on the GOG.com forums. Basically, you don't smite/exalt a person, you exalt/smite a specific post. If that post gets enough of either (something like ten more of one than the other), then the post is marked as "high/low rated" and the person's exalt/smite counter goes up or down by one. It ensures that not only is it difficult for just one or two people to abuse, but also indicates what specifically was said that the general community [dis]approves of.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 03:13:45 pm »
The thing is, we got rid of it on ProBoards because it was abused.  It stayed that way and never came back until we moved here, where people got it in their heads that it would be a good idea to have it here.  That's something I don't get, on one board it was almost unceremoniously tossed out, and on another, it was clamored for by many of the folks who'd been around when the system had been killed off the first time.

We shouldn't have had it to begin with, because its just another arbitrary form of e-cock, and another source of potential bullshit.  We lived just fine without it once, I'm sure we can all do it again, its not that big of a deal.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 04:15:58 pm »

Imma marry this post and have its babies. The smites are like coughing, and getting rid of it is just like taking cough syrup. Except you still have bronchitis after you take the cough syrup, it's just not as obvious.