Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1090353 times)

Offline zupper

• Pope
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #885 on: July 22, 2012, 06:49:26 pm »
Anyone else see the glaring flaw that she wasn't aborted?

I think it's a computer-generated image.

I want to know where they got the stat that 1/3 of pregnancies end in voluntary abortion. (Not miscarriage.)

I checked it out. In 1994 there were 1,429,577 abortions in US according to CDC. In the same year there were 3 892 000 live births. So in the fantasyland where nobody got abortion there were 1 429 577 + 3 892 000 = 5 321 577 births which would give "loss rate of" 1429/5321 ~= 26%

Obviously this calculation has nothing to do with reality.

http://www.abortiontv.com/Misc/AbortionStatistics.htm
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005067.html

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #886 on: July 23, 2012, 10:23:40 am »
Then say 1/4
also with this particular stat you have to take 1/4 off the top due to miscarriages

Offline Quasirodent

• Pope
  • You knew it in your heart all along.
« Reply #887 on: July 23, 2012, 02:36:12 pm »
Hold on.  Are you telling me a quarter of all pregnancies in the USA miscarry?
Jesus had two dads and he turned out okay.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #888 on: July 23, 2012, 02:58:23 pm »
Well, there is a reason why they recommend that you don't announce your pregnancy until the second trimester, because of the chance of spontaneous abortion. Don't know if the numbers are that high, though.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #889 on: July 23, 2012, 04:56:22 pm »
I've read that it's more common than you'd think.  Though most SA's occur very early on and look and act like a normal period.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #890 on: July 23, 2012, 05:22:51 pm »
There was a University of Ottawa study which estimated that up to 50% of all pregnancies may end in spontaneous abortion, usually before the woman knows she's pregnant. Other studies have shown somewhere in the area of 25% miscarrying by the 6th week of gestation.

These seemingly high numbers aren't really that surprising when you take into account the wealth of factors that can cause a miscarriage, particularly in very early pregnancy. Couple that with abortion, stillbirths, etc., and yeah, a good chunk of the would-be generation ends up never being born. I'm not sure why that's any more disturbing than the number of pregnancies and would-be children which never come to be due to contraception, though, as well as all of the people who simply won't exist because the right sperm and egg never met.

Also, I wonder how the stats for these would-be people are affected when one factors in the children who reach adulthood due to lower infant and childhood mortality rates and advances in care for premature babies, not to mention all of the kids who had the opportunity to be born thanks to better care (including safe, reliable access to abortion) for their mothers.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #891 on: July 23, 2012, 07:29:18 pm »
There was a University of Ottawa study which estimated that up to 50% of all pregnancies may end in spontaneous abortion, usually before the woman knows she's pregnant. Other studies have shown somewhere in the area of 25% miscarrying by the 6th week of gestation.

These seemingly high numbers aren't really that surprising when you take into account the wealth of factors that can cause a miscarriage, particularly in very early pregnancy. Couple that with abortion, stillbirths, etc., and yeah, a good chunk of the would-be generation ends up never being born. I'm not sure why that's any more disturbing than the number of pregnancies and would-be children which never come to be due to contraception, though, as well as all of the people who simply won't exist because the right sperm and egg never met.

Also, I wonder how the stats for these would-be people are affected when one factors in the children who reach adulthood due to lower infant and childhood mortality rates and advances in care for premature babies, not to mention all of the kids who had the opportunity to be born thanks to better care (including safe, reliable access to abortion) for their mothers.

Don't forget that an estimated 30-70% of embryos fail to implant at all.  That's a lot of "miscarriages" that the anti-abortion crowd refuses to account for, probably because failure to implant is so hard to detect and thus hard to get accurate statistics for.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #892 on: July 23, 2012, 07:55:19 pm »
Spontaneous abortion?  Good song title.

Also, not at all surprising, considering that a zygote (and, later on, fetus) is basically a cancerous parasite that relies on chemical chicanery to fool the mother's body into not destroying it like it would any other invasive organism.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #893 on: July 23, 2012, 08:09:02 pm »

Also, not at all surprising, considering that a zygote (and, later on, fetus) is basically a cancerous parasite that relies on chemical chicanery to fool the mother's body into not destroying it like it would any other invasive organism.

And yet, because of that, our species has thrived on... probably to too much of an extent, really.  (So whether that's a positive or a negative is up to interpretation)

The funny thing is, if that trait (a woman's body being able to recognize a zygote as a parasite and terminating it) appeared in the human species (and I'm pretty sure that's a non-zero chance, which means it probably has happened at least once in human history) it would quickly be removed due to natural selection.

Namely, not being able to reproduce means that the trait wouldn't be passed on outside of test tubes.

...Was there a point to my post?  Absolutely none.  Just the speculations of a tired dragon who thinks he's smart.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #894 on: July 23, 2012, 09:08:19 pm »

And yet, because of that, our species has thrived on... probably to too much of an extent, really.  (So whether that's a positive or a negative is up to interpretation)

The funny thing is, if that trait (a woman's body being able to recognize a zygote as a parasite and terminating it) appeared in the human species (and I'm pretty sure that's a non-zero chance, which means it probably has happened at least once in human history) it would quickly be removed due to natural selection.

Namely, not being able to reproduce means that the trait wouldn't be passed on outside of test tubes.

...Was there a point to my post?  Absolutely none.  Just the speculations of a tired dragon who thinks he's smart.

Oh, but it does.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #895 on: July 23, 2012, 10:04:25 pm »
I wouldn't liken a fetus to a cancer or a parasite.  It's just... reproduction.  It's not going to live on its own if it's not grown enough systems or a brain sophisticated enough to control them all.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #896 on: July 23, 2012, 10:54:00 pm »
I wouldn't liken a fetus to a cancer or a parasite.  It's just... reproduction.  It's not going to live on its own if it's not grown enough systems or a brain sophisticated enough to control them all.

Technically, it kinda is a parasite by the definition of the word, but at the same time, outside of asexual reproduction, that's kinda how things go.  It's a parasite that benefits us by continuing our species, if that makes sense, which is an instinctual urge for most humans.

Of course, not like that's super-duper important right now.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #897 on: July 24, 2012, 09:54:21 pm »

Technically, once the digestive tract is in place, the other organs and systems tend to develop at roughly the same time.  It just takes 7-8 months for them to develop enough that a baby has even the slightest chance of surviving ex utero.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #898 on: July 25, 2012, 03:06:09 am »
Well, I'm not into the reproductive science.  The stuff I'm into (zoology) glazed over reproduction, but I'll take anyone's word for it who knows more about the strange process of reproduction that is on our groovy planet.

Offline Quasirodent

• Pope
  • You knew it in your heart all along.
« Reply #899 on: July 25, 2012, 09:17:32 am »

Technically, it kinda is a parasite by the definition of the word, but at the same time, outside of asexual reproduction, that's kinda how things go.  It's a parasite that benefits us by continuing our species, if that makes sense, which is an instinctual urge for most humans.

Of course, not like that's super-duper important right now.

So... a symbiote?  Physically it is a parasite - we just like to anthropomorphize and consider a potential human being as something irrationally precious.
Jesus had two dads and he turned out okay.