Author Topic: Google's new toy  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Google's new toy
« on: November 17, 2012, 12:44:37 am »
NOTICE: This will not be available if you do not view it with Google Chrome.

With that said, this is perhaps the most impressive thing I have seen online to date. Google has taken it's Google Earth concept, and applied it to the known galaxy. What does this mean, you ask? It means, you get to look through motherfucking SPACE at each and every star we have information on. The map is completely 3D, with each star placed in its relative position to Sol/Earth, and can be scaled from a complete view of the Milky Way, down to individual systems. All of this can be rotated in any direction you like for optimal viewing. I seriously don't have words do describe how unbelievably awesome this is. Seriously, check it out:

http://workshop.chromeexperiments.com/stars/

ETA: whoo! 1337th post!
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
Re: Google's new toy
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 01:34:05 am »
I put that on while playing Carl Sagan's speech. Awesome.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 08:58:29 am »
Fantastic!  Thanks for posting this, Her3tik.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Shano

• Bishop
  • Trust me, I am a doctor.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 11:27:55 am »
While it is fantastic in Chrome indeed, the WebGL implementation is horrible. WebGL is not a proprietary technology for Chrome but a standard implemented in a variety of browsers and the devs are screwing something big here. In particular in Firefox only a sector of the sphere is loaded.
The unbreakable wall

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 05:42:18 pm »
Holy shite!  Thanks.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 12:15:23 am »
When you're zoomed out, it feels like a big star party. The closer you get to Sol, though, you really start feeling how isolated we are and how much emptiness separates us from our neighbors.

THREE DEEEEEEE
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy