Author Topic: I hope none of you wanted to go see The Interview  (Read 4895 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: I hope none of you wanted to go see The Interview
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2014, 06:02:36 pm »
So Sony is caving to pressure, again, and is now allowing a select number of theaters to show the movie.

Ironbite-damn them all to hell!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2014, 06:44:01 pm »
It should be noted that Sony, being headquartered in Japan, might just have good reason to fear North Korean retaliation, amusing comics about the futility of North Korean action against the United States aside.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2014, 06:47:05 pm »
North Korea has actually in the past managed to kidnap and force Japanese and or Korean film makers. That is actually a very real fear.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2014, 10:13:42 pm »
Funny how you all seem to assume North Korea was behind this hacking incident. This is coming from the same people that said there were WMDs in Iraq.

Take a look at Schneier's Reacting to the Sony Hack article for a level-headed perspective:

Quote from: Bruce Schneier
We've known about North Korea's cyberattack capabilities long before this attack, but it might not be the government at all. This wouldn't be the first time a nationalistic cyberattack was launched without government sanction. We have lots of examples of these sorts of attacks being conducted by regular hackers with nationalistic pride. Kids playing politics, I call them. This may be that, and it could also be a random hacker who just has it out for Sony.

Remember, the hackers didn't start talking about The Interview until the press did. Maybe the NSA has some secret information pinning this attack on the North Korean government, but unless the agency comes forward with the evidence, we should remain skeptical. We don't know who did this, and we may never find out. I personally think it is a disgruntled ex-employee, but I don't have any more evidence than anyone else does.

What we have is a very extreme case of hacking. By "extreme" I mean the quantity of the information stolen from Sony's networks, not the quality of the attack. The attackers seem to have been good, but no more than that. Sony made its situation worse by having substandard security.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.