Author Topic: Natural Selection in Progress  (Read 4519 times)

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
Re: Natural Selection in Progress
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 11:26:19 pm »
I kill Daddy Longlegs on principle. They are disgusting, useless, & constantly make their way inside my house. Also, I once saw one humping a raspberry.

Otherwise, I'm pretty meh on spiders unless they reach a certain size or proximity to me. But I do not agree that they are useful. They leave the corpses of their victims hanging all over the damn place.

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 11:28:55 pm »
Wow. Some of the comments  in this thread regarding bugs and animals that the posters encounter actually make me glad I live this far north. The worst I have to deal with is the occasional wasp that flies a little too close for comfort when I'm sitting still for any period of time, but they never do anything so they're pretty easy to just ignore.

Some people are just afraid of some things.  No rationality behind them. Could be some deep seated connection their brain subconsciously makes.   Just ...phobias.  *Shrugs*
Fear from ignorance is what irks me.

That's actually the case. It's known as "Preparedness Theory." It basically means that way back in our evolutionary past, we encountered a lot of dangerous things like poisonous animals (snakes, spiders, things like that) so the individuals whose brains developed in such a way that they learned things like "Stay the hell away from this scary-looking snake!" a lot faster than others tended to survive and reproduce more. Over generations, this became hardwired into our brains so that we learned these things faster than other things. In people who have irrationally strong phobias of, for example, harmless insects that look vaguely like the dangerous, poisonous ones, it's this evolutionary preparedness misfiring and overgeneralizing.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 11:59:31 pm »
Sounds right to me, anyway.  Makes sense.  Another example of natural selection.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 05:04:37 am »
Agreed. Evolutionary Psychology does have some fucking horrible applications, but here, it's right.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Leafy

• Radical Radish
  • Pope
  • "My bunny will eat your soul!"
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 03:51:19 pm »
I kill Daddy Longlegs on principle. They are disgusting, useless, & constantly make their way inside my house. Also, I once saw one humping a raspberry.

Otherwise, I'm pretty meh on spiders unless they reach a certain size or proximity to me. But I do not agree that they are useful. They leave the corpses of their victims hanging all over the damn place.

Wut.

So long as I know they're not dangerous and they stay well away from me, I've no problems with spiders.  Hell, they're downright helpful.
Yeah, if they're up in the corner of a room, I don't care. I'm too lazy to kill those ones. Any on objects or the floor are doomed.
Same here, other than black widows.

*shivers*

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 03:53:19 pm »

Wut.

So long as I know they're not dangerous and they stay well away from me, I've no problems with spiders.  Hell, they're downright helpful.
Yeah, if they're up in the corner of a room, I don't care. I'm too lazy to kill those ones. Any on objects or the floor are doomed.
Same here, other than black widows.

*shivers*
Yeah. Those bitches get vacuumed.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 04:27:00 pm »
Agreed. Evolutionary Psychology does have some fucking horrible applications, but here, it's right.

I'm curious; what are these "horrible applications" you're thinking of?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 05:01:51 pm »
A fair bit of evolutionary psychology involves people postulating adaptive hypotheses for things that are a) clearly cultural* or b) have very weak selection pressures, in order to justify their prejudices. Also a quite a lot of sexism and occasional racism.

I've seen a number of people completely dismiss most evolutionary psychology because of this (notably, PZ Myers). While I wouldn't go that far, it's true that it's a quite abused field.

*Someone proposed that women like pink because it helped them find berries, completely ignoring the fact that there's zero evidence that 'pink is a girl colour' is biologically hardwired and it is a relatively modern development in Western culture.
Σא

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 05:07:32 pm »
That makes sense.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2013, 05:08:19 pm »
Indeed.  Especially since way back when blue was the color for girls.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 06:53:32 pm »
Exactly that. It can be used for racism and sexism, but if you focus solely on the reasonable stuff, it's good. It's one thing to go "Humans evolved to be scared of X, causing phobias" and another to try to make all black people violent because of evolution.