Author Topic: Steubenville Verdict is in...  (Read 26008 times)

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
Re: Steubenville Verdict is in...
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 07:11:03 pm »
It's highly doubtful that either of them will manage any of the dreams that they may have had, or accomplish anything outside of quietly living alone with minimal interaction with a community that fearfully hides their children from them.

While I agree they deserve to be punished, I can't help thinking that this and the shaming and lifelong ostracism the label "sex offender" carries go beyond the pale. Considering that in many states you can now be labeled a sex offender for such things as urinating in public or a 17-year-old having sex with their 16-year-old SO, I think that label has been watered down to the point of uselessness, while at the same still being considered synonymous with "violent child molester".

Consider the following:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIOlrC4ChgE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIOlrC4ChgE</a>

This is a case where a good-intentioned, if misguided law has been turned into a weapon to inflict extra punishment on people who have already legally paid their debt. Studies have shown that residency restrictions and public notification actually INCREASE the chance of a sex-offender reoffending, because they have so much less to lose than if they actually had a chance to build a somewhat normal life again. On top of that, they do nothing to reduce actual sex crimes committed, particularly since the vast majority are committed by people the victim knows and trusts, in direct contradiction to "stranger danger".

What these boys did is horrific. They deserve to be punished for it. Once they're out of prison, law enforcement should be able to keep an eye on them. But lifelong public shaming can't be called anything other than "cruel and unusual." Why do we not have public registries of drug dealers, who inflict far more damage and are much more likely to reoffend and to hurt strangers with their crimes? For that matter, if we're going to insist a category of criminals be forever separated from society, why not make like 19th-century England with transportation?

Honestly, how is putting someone on a registry that makes it all-but-impossible to find friends, get a job and build a stake in a community supposed to make it less likely for them to reoffend?

Modified to add a source:

http://fairregistry.org/download/importantdocs/FAIR%20Public%20Brochure%203-2012.pdf
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 07:18:33 pm by R. U. Sirius »
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 07:17:49 pm »
For that matter, if we're going to insist a category of criminals be forever separated from society, why not make like 19th-century England with transportation?

Because those Australians made a civilization when we had our backs turned.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 07:52:39 pm »
Weren't there others besides these two who raped her? Maybe I'm remembering the original story wrong, but why are these two the only ones being given any sort of sentencing?

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 07:55:48 pm »
Weren't there others besides these two who raped her? Maybe I'm remembering the original story wrong, but why are these two the only ones being given any sort of sentencing?

The others were dropped, it was part of the whole coverup. Also there might have not been enough evidence in the videos.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 07:58:35 pm »

From what I can find, that was what was going around at the initial arrest but had no confirmation. The current story is that the two boys were the ones who raped her and took pictures while dragging her around until she finally woke up naked in someone else's house with her phone, underwear, and earrings missing.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 08:41:56 pm »
It's highly doubtful that either of them will manage any of the dreams that they may have had, or accomplish anything outside of quietly living alone with minimal interaction with a community that fearfully hides their children from them.
While I agree they deserve to be punished, I can't help thinking that this and the shaming and lifelong ostracism the label "sex offender" carries go beyond the pale. Considering that in many states you can now be labeled a sex offender for such things as urinating in public or a 17-year-old having sex with their 16-year-old SO, I think that label has been watered down to the point of uselessness, while at the same still being considered synonymous with "violent child molester".
Which is a topic for another discussion.

This is a case where a good-intentioned, if misguided law has been turned into a weapon to inflict extra punishment on people who have already legally paid their debt.
Or to make people aware that there are rapists/child molesters in their neighborhood and allow the police to keep tabs on them.

But lifelong public shaming can't be called anything other than "cruel and unusual." Why do we not have public registries of drug dealers, who inflict far more damage and are much more likely to reoffend and to hurt strangers with their crimes?
Personally I feel that I can call the sex offenders registry anything other than cruel and unusual. And I also don't think that drug dealing is an analogous crime to rape/molestation. At least in the case of purchasing drugs, people have a choice in whether or not they do so. Is that the same as when someone forces themself upon you sexually?

http://fairregistry.org/download/importantdocs/FAIR%20Public%20Brochure%203-2012.pdf
Which, when I click it, tells me I'm not allowed to access it.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 08:50:27 pm »
The problem with a sex offender registry is not its existence, but rather how easy it is to get on it. As Sirius said, even something like two underage kids being caught screwing in the school bathroom or drunken public urination can have you landed on the list. That's the kind of thing that needs to be fixed. But I personally would like communities to actually KNOW when a convicted rapist or pedophile moves into the neighborhood, considering that rape isn't exactly a one-time "Oops, sorry" crime. A person who commits sexual assault clearly has something very wrong and potentially dangerous with how they view other human beings.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 08:51:27 pm »

This is a case where a good-intentioned, if misguided law has been turned into a weapon to inflict extra punishment on people who have already legally paid their debt.
Or to make people aware that there are rapists/child molesters in their neighborhood and allow the police to keep tabs on them.

This reply makes me suspect that you didn't bother to watch the video clip I posted, in which a city councilman specifically says that the reason he's sponsoring "pocket parks" is to drive sex offenders from their homes.

Which, when I click it, tells me I'm not allowed to access it.

My apologies; I didn't know it was blocked to non-members. I'll find ones that are more freely accessible.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 08:52:48 pm »
The problem with a sex offender registry is not its existence, but rather how easy it is to get on it. As Sirius said, even something like two underage kids being caught screwing in the school bathroom or drunken public urination can have you landed on the list. That's the kind of thing that needs to be fixed. But I personally would like communities to actually KNOW when a convicted rapist or pedophile moves into the neighborhood, considering that rape isn't exactly a one-time "Oops, sorry" crime. A person who commits sexual assault clearly has something very wrong and potentially dangerous with how they view other human beings.
Like I said, the relative ease with which one makes it onto the list (which I acknowledge is a bad thing) is a discussion for another thread. All in all I agree with your statement though.

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 08:54:18 pm »

This reply makes me suspect that you didn't bother to watch the video clip I posted, in which a city councilman specifically says that the reason he's sponsoring "pocket parks" is to drive sex offenders from their homes.
Yes, you have one city councilman saying one thing. Is that now indicative of why we have a sex offender's registry in the first place?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 08:55:06 pm »
Some of the others had the charges dropped in exchange for testifying against the two accused.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 08:55:16 pm »
Like I said, the relative ease with which one makes it onto the list (which I acknowledge is a bad thing) is a discussion for another thread. All in all I agree with your statement though.

Actually, it does fit the topic well: this is a case about two youths being convicted of rape, and a good discussion is exactly how far-reaching their punishment is and whether they deserve it.

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 08:57:39 pm »

Actually, it does fit the topic well: this is a case about two youths being convicted of rape, and a good discussion is exactly how far-reaching their punishment is and whether they deserve it.
But they don't have to register for urinating in public or some such nonsense--the have to for a genuine sex crime. Hence anything else just distracts from the subject at hand.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 09:09:15 pm »
CNN god has this to say to you 

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013, 09:09:21 pm »
Made a spinoff thread here for anyone who wants to discuss things.