Author Topic: Steubenville Verdict is in...  (Read 25855 times)

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Steubenville Verdict is in...
« on: March 17, 2013, 03:30:30 pm »
...and defendants Trent Mays and Ma'lik Richmond were found "delinquent"--more or less the juvenile equivalent of a guilty verdict. Judge Thomas Lipps sentenced Richmond to a minimum of one year in a juvenile detention facility and a maximum of until he turns 21, while Mays (who was also found delinquent on a charge of illegal use of a minor in nudity-oriented material) was sentenced to two years as well as a consecutive sentence which has the possibility of lasting until he's 24. The two convicted rapists cried as the verdict was read, but I can guarantee that the tears were for themselves alone. And if it's any consolation, the Ohio Attorney General announced he will look into more charges in the Steubenville case.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
Re: Steubenville Verdict is in...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 03:36:40 pm »
That doesn't seem like enough punishment, but better than what I expected.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 03:39:43 pm »
That doesn't seem like enough punishment, but better than what I expected.
That's because they weren't tried as adults. But yeah, a possible 7 years for Mays and 5 years for Richmond, better than nothing.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 03:41:52 pm »
I kind of want their tears

Saturn500

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 04:07:29 pm »
CNN's actually going off about how these bastards' lives are ruined, and not even mentioning the victim.

There is no facepalm image which truly shows how I feel about this.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 04:11:32 pm »
Hopefully we'll advance while they're behind bars to the point where printable screens allow us to hang digital images on our walls, so we can print out GIFs of them crying and hang them in their bedrooms when they get back as a constant reminder of their behavior.

On the subject of the sentencing, I think a big part of it was also the doubt regarding how much the victim was aware of. Nobody, not even her friends, could agree on whether she "lied a lot" as one girl put it, or if it was likely that she may have been just drunk. Apparently even the victim told different stories to her friends, alternating between "I must have been drugged" and "I remember all of it." Regardless of which interpretation you support (with the extremes being "teenage girl roofied and dragged around as a rape trophy" vs. "teenage girl gets drunk and fucks a bunch of dudes, then cries rape"), it's enough to create a ton of doubt about the facts.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 04:26:21 pm by chitoryu12 »
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 04:23:15 pm »
The whole saga surrounding this affair just highlights the insanity of the pedestal on which sports players are placed--either they come crashing down hard, or they can do no wrong.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 04:24:45 pm »
The whole saga surrounding this affair just highlights the insanity of the pedestal on which sports players are placed--either they come crashing down hard, or they can do no wrong.

Yep.  The fact that it seems like this whole thing was attempted to be swept under the rug so fast just proves this even further.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 05:07:02 pm »
CNN's actually going off about how these bastards' lives are ruined, and not even mentioning the victim.

Good to see rape culture is alive and well...

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 05:08:35 pm »
Wait you mean CNN is celebrating that, or concerned about them?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 05:11:41 pm »

It's not an entirely unfair point--they were high school football stars, probably looking to get an athletic scholarship to play at a FBS program, and, if they're really lucky parlay that into an NFL contract. There's basically no chance this will ever happen now.

Not that I feel one shred of sympathy for them.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 05:19:46 pm »

It's not an entirely unfair point--they were high school football stars, probably looking to get an athletic scholarship to play at a FBS program, and, if they're really lucky parlay that into an NFL contract. There's basically no chance this will ever happen now.

Not that I feel one shred of sympathy for them.
It's true, hopefully their lives are ruined. What I don't want, however, is the media trying to gin up sympathy for these people. That's all.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the fact that they have to register as sex offenders now. So, that will thankfully follow them everywhere.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 05:58:27 pm »
Indeed. For those worried that the punishment seems light, remember that they're got the stain of "sexual predator" tacked on to their lives for eternity. They'll likely have to register as sex offenders, which means that everyone around them wherever they live will have to be told about it. Anything they do that requires even a cursory background check will bring up rape charges. Plus all the usual issues that happen when someone spends as much as half a decade locked away from society.

It's highly doubtful that either of them will manage any of the dreams that they may have had, or accomplish anything outside of quietly living alone with minimal interaction with a community that fearfully hides their children from them.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 06:32:27 pm »
best part is the sex offender label they now proudly wear.  that is about as bad as it gets.

Saturn500

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 06:53:12 pm »
Wait you mean CNN is celebrating that, or concerned about them?

The latter.