Author Topic: People who steal shopping carts piss me off  (Read 25351 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: People who steal shopping carts piss me off
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2013, 12:26:01 pm »
Wait...largeham actually just advocated that stealing a pack of gum isn't a bad thing?

Ironbite-I need a facepalm gif stat.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2013, 12:29:23 pm »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2013, 12:30:37 pm »

Am I doing it right?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2013, 12:31:58 pm »

Am I doing it right?

You, sir, win.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Saturn500

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2013, 12:33:29 pm »

The Recettear reference gets you a "fuck yeah"!

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2013, 06:42:35 pm »
Why does no one point out that raising prices to cover losses results in more shop lifting?  (Devil's advocate is fun.)
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2013, 07:20:54 pm »
Stealing is a pretty strong word.  It's not like they're taking the fucking thing to some kind of "cart chop shop" to break down and sell for parts or something.
Righto then. I'm just going to go hotwire a car. I'm not going to strip it down or anything, its just for my own personal use, so it's totally ok.

Call me crazy, but I think it takes a little more malicious intent to intenionally hotwire someone's car than it does to take a cart out of the parking lot.

That is to say, "stealing" a shopping cart is probably more of a case of negligence/carelessness/absentmindedness more than anything.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 07:25:08 pm by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2013, 08:50:51 pm »
Call me crazy, but I think it takes a little more malicious intent to intenionally hotwire someone's car than it does to take a cart out of the parking lot.

That is to say, "stealing" a shopping cart is probably more of a case of negligence/carelessness/absentmindedness more than anything.
See, now you're just shifting the goalposts.

You're taking something that's not yours against the will of the owner. It's stealing, and I'd strongly recommend you stop pretending otherwise before you make yourself look like an even bigger moron.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2013, 10:24:12 pm »

See, now you're just shifting the goalposts.

You're taking something that's not yours against the will of the owner. It's stealing, and I'd strongly recommend you stop pretending otherwise before you make yourself look like an even bigger moron.

I'm not "moving the goalposts" as you put it.  My whole point in my first post was that there's a difference in intent, so the two situations are hardly comparable.  That's why I said it's not like they're selling parts in a chop shop and shit.

You then said that it's no different in hotwiring a car.  Hotwiring a car takes a lot more fucking focus and knowledge than pushing a cart a few blocks.  Yes, I realize that someone pointed out that they know of people who have taken carts five miles from the closest store, but I don't think it's fair to call that kind of distance typical of all situations.  You have to kind of fucking learn how to hotwire a car.  Other than walking, you don't have to fucking learn how to push a fucking cart.

Also, I'd like you to consider something.  I know this shit pisses you off, but have you ever considered that for some people there's not many more viable options?  They may not have a car or be able to drive.  They might not have anybody who can bring them to the store.  They might not be able to afford a $50 personal cart, or the stores nearby might not even sell shit like that.  Hell, if they had other options that are workable, they might just take them!
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2013, 10:38:13 pm »
I'm not "moving the goalposts" as you put it.  My whole point in my first post was that there's a difference in intent, so the two situations are hardly comparable.  That's why I said it's not like they're selling parts in a chop shop and shit.

You then said that it's no different in hotwiring a car.  Hotwiring a car takes a lot more fucking focus and knowledge than pushing a cart a few blocks.  Yes, I realize that someone pointed out that they know of people who have taken carts five miles from the closest store, but I don't think it's fair to call that kind of distance typical of all situations.  You have to kind of fucking learn how to hotwire a car.  Other than walking, you don't have to fucking learn how to push a fucking cart.
I know this is a difficult concept for you to grasp, but stealing is not about intent or skill level. It's simply taking something that doesn't belong to you without the owner's permission. Whether you use it to take your groceries home or sell for parts or you have Mad Hotwiring Skillz is irrelevant, you are taking something that doesn't belong to you and the owner has not permitted you to take, ergo it's stealing.

Is that clear enough, or do I need to draw you a picture?
Also, I'd like you to consider something.  I know this shit pisses you off, but have you ever considered that for some people there's not many more viable options?  They may not have a car or be able to drive.  They might not have anybody who can bring them to the store.  They might not be able to afford a $50 personal cart, or the stores nearby might not even sell shit like that.  Hell, if they had other options that are workable, they might just take them!
Uh huh, and that's their responsibility to deal with, without resorting to theft. Sob stories do not justify stealing.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 04:26:21 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2013, 11:48:27 pm »
Why does this thread remind me of Trailer Park Boys?

Umm, Stereotyping??

Oh come on...nobody's going to get that reference?  Its probably the most blatantly obvious one I've ever made.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2013, 11:59:04 pm »
Why does this thread remind me of Trailer Park Boys?

Umm, Stereotyping??

Oh come on...nobody's going to get that reference?  Its probably the most blatantly obvious one I've ever made.

I did... Bubbles!  He fixes up broken shopping carts and sells them back to the store for a profit.  He uses the money to take care of his kitties.  Ahh... my fave character in TPB.  The ultra-myopic-cat-loving-human-Jawa.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:00:56 am by SpaceProg »

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2013, 03:41:48 am »
People leaving shopping carts everywhere is a huge problem at my local Walmart. People will leave those carts everywhere except the cart return racks.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2013, 04:09:07 am »
People leaving shopping carts everywhere is a huge problem at my local Walmart. People will leave those carts everywhere except the cart return racks.

And they won't properly stack them, either, which leads to like... five carts taking up a space that twenty carts can properly fit in.

And one of those carts will, inevitably, have been pushed sideways, because fuck everyone else.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2013, 04:18:43 am »
I'm one of those people that compulsively arranges the carts correctly.  I push them to where they all nest into each other and nothing is stuck in any weird positions.