Author Topic: The most important announcement on this thread.  (Read 25406 times)

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: The most important announcement on this thread.
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2018, 04:53:19 pm »
But why would anyone do that? What incentive is there for

a) Anyone to join the secret society?

b) Anyone to follow orders from them?

I will found the secret society, and be an influential charismatic leader. Many people have started societies. When me and other members have children, the society will grow larger.
Oh. My. Gawd. Please. Stop.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2018, 08:57:12 pm »
At the moment he is only being thwarted by hussies in tight denim jeans and the waste of his seed through being merged by a wizard in front of a mirror.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2018, 09:04:39 pm »
As I said, having involvement with the Roman government was neccesary because the Roman Empire did not have absolute inheritance like the Anglo Saxon Kingdoms.
And as I said, handing off entire provinces to foreign invaders and allowing them to establish their own government was even more unlawful than a purely hereditary emperor.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
  • The person who discovered England's true monarch
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2018, 08:41:17 am »
As I said, having involvement with the Roman government was neccesary because the Roman Empire did not have absolute inheritance like the Anglo Saxon Kingdoms.
And as I said, handing off entire provinces to foreign invaders and allowing them to establish their own government was even more unlawful than a purely hereditary emperor.

And as I said, the Catholic Church was the legal remnant of the Western Roman Empire as it became it’s state religion after Constantine while the random descendants of an Emperor had no connection to the fallen government.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2018, 08:53:32 am »
And as I said, the Catholic Church was the legal remnant of the Western Roman Empire as it became it’s state religion after Constantine while the random descendants of an Emperor had no connection to the fallen government.
Remnant or not, you can't have it both ways. Either succession laws are sacrosanct, and not even the governments that created and enforce them can change them, or they can be changed or in this case outright ignored as the situation demands it. Pick one. Double standards are no bueno.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2018, 09:31:56 am »
Remnant or not, you can't have it both ways. Either succession laws are sacrosanct, and not even the governments that created and enforce them can change them, or they can be changed or in this case outright ignored as the situation demands it. Pick one. Double standards are no bueno.

No succession laws are being ignored because the random descendants of the Emperor are not legal successors under the Roman succession laws.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2018, 09:49:40 am »
No succession laws are being ignored because the random descendants of the Emperor are not legal successors under the Roman succession laws.
Neither are the Saxon conquerors. Nowhere in Roman law does it say that provinces may be handed out by the Church on condition of conversion. Once again, either succession laws must be followed to the letter at all times, or they can be ignored and changed as circumstances demand it. Pick one.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2018, 10:26:35 am »
Neither are the Saxon conquerors. Nowhere in Roman law does it say that provinces may be handed out by the Church on condition of conversion. Once again, either succession laws must be followed to the letter at all times, or they can be ignored and changed as circumstances demand it. Pick one.

True, but as the Church was the successor of the Western Roman Empire it legitimizing the Saxon conquerors is the same as if the Emperors did so.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2018, 10:50:16 am »
True, but as the Church was the successor of the Western Roman Empire it legitimizing the Saxon conquerors is the same as if the Emperors did so.
No, because your whole argument for all of this neo-feudal bullshit in the first place is that old succession laws must be followed to the letter at all times and never ever changed or disregarded, even by the governments that came up with them in the first place. By your own logic, the correct course of action would be to restore the Roman Army and bureaucracy and have them pick an heir from the Emperor's descendants by any means necessary. In other words, pretty much what you're apparently trying to do already.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2018, 11:38:35 am »
No, because your whole argument for all of this neo-feudal bullshit in the first place is that old succession laws must be followed to the letter at all times and never ever changed or disregarded, even by the governments that came up with them in the first place. By your own logic, the correct course of action would be to restore the Roman Army and bureaucracy and have them pick an heir from the Emperor's descendants by any means necessary. In other words, pretty much what you're apparently trying to do already.

But as the Western Roman Army and Bureaucracy was gone, there were no successors to the army and bureaucracy so the Catholic Church was the only remnant of the Western Empire.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2018, 12:14:06 pm »
But the roman army and bureucracy weren't gone, it still existed in the Byzantine Empire.

The western bits of the Roman empire collapsed. That's a fact.

Byzantine Empire was the remnant of the Roman empire. That's a fact.

The state church became the Orthodox church and claiming that the Catholic church somehow inherited the right to name the next Roman leader is about as silly as saying that Hindus get to choose the next kind of England because that's the main religion of India which used to be part of the British Empire.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2018, 01:43:03 pm »
But the roman army and bureucracy weren't gone, it still existed in the Byzantine Empire.

The western bits of the Roman empire collapsed. That's a fact.

Byzantine Empire was the remnant of the Roman empire. That's a fact.

The state church became the Orthodox church and claiming that the Catholic church somehow inherited the right to name the next Roman leader is about as silly as saying that Hindus get to choose the next kind of England because that's the main religion of India which used to be part of the British Empire.

The Roman Empire got divided into two. One in the West and one in the East. That’s a fact.

Byzantine Emperors were heirs of those who were given the Eastern part not the Western parts. That’s a fact.

The Catholic Church was the Church in the Western Empire. That’s a fact.

Therefore the Catholic Church is the remnant of the Western Roman Empire.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2018, 02:40:18 pm »
 At no point did the Romans themselves consider the Empire to have been split into two separate Empires.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2018, 03:22:52 pm »
At no point did the Romans themselves consider the Empire to have been split into two separate Empires.

True which means that both the Byzantine Empire and the Catholic Church were remnants of the Roman Empire.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2018, 03:49:02 pm »
But the Catholic church had no authority because the Orthodox church was the church of the Byzantine Empire which was in every way the only true remnant of the Roman Empire.