Author Topic: RIP Barbara Bush  (Read 1293 times)

Online dpareja

• The Beast
RIP Barbara Bush
« on: April 17, 2018, 08:19:44 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/barbara-bush-1.4624238

Barbara Bush, wife of former US President George H. W. Bush and mother of former US President George W. Bush, has passed away.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: RIP Barbara Bush
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 08:30:24 pm »
Though we may not agree with their politics, it is only decent behavior to give condolences.

I think the Bushes represent the last of the more affable conservatives - as committed as they are to an ideology we disagree with, they maintain close relationships with Obama and others. Given what Trump and the new GOP he represents is like...
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 03:31:21 pm »
The Bushes were the last good GOP family that I actually liked.  Bush the Lesser kinda was a downward trend but the Bushes were nice.

Ironbite-I might have even met them when I was a baby...RIP.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 08:49:05 pm »
She was by most accounts a good woman. And she did love her husband. A 73 year marriage is pretty darn good. Sadly, look for George Sr. to go soon.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 01:57:30 am »
Oh George H.W.

He lost his wife, he watched his younger son get basically mangled by a horrid troglodyte on the national stage, for all to see, and has seen an ideology he had passion for basically twisted into "WE LUV TRUMP".

Yeah, I see your point, Rookie.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 02:45:42 am »
I'm going to have to go against the grain here as say that despite Barbara dying and Trump being even worse, their legacy is still fucking horrible. While I'm not familiar with Bush the Greater's time in office aside from the Gulf War being a thing (not a point in his favour, btw), I do know that not only did his son get not just America but almost the entire western world bogged down in Iraq and Afghanistan (which at one point he tried to justify to his French counterpart by saying Iraq is controlled by Gog and Magog. I shit you not), but also his deregulation led to the entire global economy getting fucked in the cornhole in 2008.

Sure, losing a family member is never a good thing, regardless of ideology. But when you consider they needlessly inflicted exactly that ordeal on hundreds of thousands of people with their utterly pointless wars (approx 650 000 deaths in Iraq alone), I don't care nearly enough for even empty internet condolences.

Edit: In fact, I just remembered that this is a thing and it describes my feelings on the matter perfectly.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtxqohNtLIg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtxqohNtLIg</a>
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:37:49 am by Art Vandelay »