Author Topic: Accused of whitewashing? Yellow Face is the obvious solution!  (Read 8555 times)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
This is more than just a little amazing.  Sometimes it's hard to remember I'm living in 2016.  http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/04/15/ghost-in-the-shell-visual-effects-tests-were-done-to-alter-actress-ethnicity

Facing criticism for "whitewashing" the role of Major Motoko Kusanagi, producers attempted to "shift [Johansson's] ethnicity" in post-production, making the white actress appear "more Asian" for the film.

The studio is denying it was for Johansson, but they would wouldn't they.  And yes they decided against it after seeing the results, but the fact that they considering doing this at all, to any actor background or otherwise, in this day in age is incredible.  And if it was done to address  the criticisms of whitewashing then it's completely fucking insane - missing the fucking point much?  How much crack would  they have to be smoking at the Paramount offices to make digital yellow face seem like an acceptable response?  Or an acceptable anything for that matter?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:45:55 am by Katsuro »

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Accused of whitewashing? Yellow Face is the obvious solution!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 11:34:44 am »
How much crack would  they have to be smoking at the Paramount offices to make digital yellow face seem like an acceptable response?  Or an acceptable anything for that matter?

I believe the term you're thinking of is "unacceptibru".
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 12:41:32 pm »
I can't wait for these same people to rage out when Idris Elba is announced as the next James Bond.

Oh.  fucking.  wait.

#muhdoublestandard

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 01:39:16 pm »
Contrarian-san, you speakee rear good Engrish.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 01:44:58 pm by Ironchew »
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 02:03:14 pm »
Lacist

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 02:13:28 pm »
I can't wait for these same people to rage out when Idris Elba is announced as the next James Bond.

Oh.  fucking.  wait.

#muhdoublestandard

I take it you don't remember the "blond Bond" rage.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 02:25:46 pm »

Oh.  fucking.  wait.

#muhdoublestandard

I take it you don't remember the "blond Bond" rage.

No, my "giving a fuck" must have been at the dry cleaners that day.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 03:00:12 pm »

Oh.  fucking.  wait.

#muhdoublestandard

Yeah because the film industry in the west has a long and sordid history of giving roles that should go to underrepresented white people to ethnic minorities instead because they're either outright racist towards whites themselves or because they think audiences don't want to see films staring white people.

Oh.  Fucking. Wait.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 03:03:17 pm »
How much crack would  they have to be smoking at the Paramount offices to make digital yellow face seem like an acceptable response?  Or an acceptable anything for that matter?

I believe the term you're thinking of is "unacceptibru".

I think I love you.

I'm annoyed that I didn't think to call it "shamefur dispray" at the time.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 03:13:52 pm »

Oh.  fucking.  wait.

#muhdoublestandard

Yeah because the film industry in the west has a long and sordid history of giving roles that should go to underrepresented white people to ethnic minorities instead because they're either outright racist towards whites themselves or because they think audiences don't want to see films staring white people.

Oh.  Fucking. Wait.

Well, the original source material is Japanese.  Look through the history of Japanese cinema and you'll more than likely find two things:

Japanese actors and characters form a majority
Japanese actors cast in roles of non-Japanese characters

*gasp* FUCKING SHOCKING!

But oh yeah, blah-de-blah-de-blah white privilege XD

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 02:34:04 am »
What, movies made in a country with about 1% of the population being white people star mostly Japanese people? I'm shocked.

You cite Idris Elba possibly playing James Bond. Why not? The man is actually English, unlike most of the actors that have played him. There's no reason not to. Generally I support colorblind casting, especially when it's for a work that there's really no reason for a specific ethnicity to be considered.

Ghost in the Shell is not one of those cases. It is a Japanese story with Japanese cultural sensibilities. Just about everything about Ghost in the Shell is based on Japanese culture. Casting Scarlet Johanssen as a character named Makoto Kusanagi in a story that takes place in Japan and is based on Japanese culture is blatant whitewashing.

Of course, whitewashing is the least of what I expect from Hollywood with Ghost in the Shell. I fully expect all of the complex themes of transhumanism and feminism as well as the exploration of society and technology to be cut out in favor of making just another action movie. And on top of everything, this is another unnecessary remake because Ghost in the Shell is already a film.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:36:09 am by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 02:58:20 am »
Hollywood on everything:

Get a grizzled white antihero, a token friend who may or may not die tragically in the first act, a fuckable white babe as a love interest, foreign accent baddies and...more cocaine in here. It's midday goddammit!

Also 'splosions and car chases.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 01:11:47 pm »

Oh.  fucking.  wait.

#muhdoublestandard

Oh.  Fucking. Wait.

Well, the original source material is Japanese.  Look through the history of Japanese cinema and you'll more than likely find two things:

Japanese actors and characters form a majority
Japanese actors cast in roles of non-Japanese characters

*gasp* FUCKING SHOCKING!

But oh yeah, blah-de-blah-de-blah white privilege XD

"They're doing it too!" and "They started it!" are not justifications.  Are you actually 10 years old?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 01:13:45 pm by Katsuro »

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 01:16:22 pm »
Of course, whitewashing is the least of what I expect from Hollywood with Ghost in the Shell. I fully expect all of the complex themes of transhumanism and feminism as well as the exploration of society and technology to be cut out in favor of making just another action movie. And on top of everything, this is another unnecessary remake because Ghost in the Shell is already a film.

Oh yeah, I fully expect this adaptation to suck balls completely independently of the whitewashing.  This is just the icing on the cake of shit.  I could be wrong, but nothing about Hollywood in recent years has given me cause for optimism.  Well, except the Lego Movie.  I still can't believe that was good, how did that happen??

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 01:33:57 pm »
I'm half-expecting it to be Lucy meets Dragonball Evolution.