Author Topic: ICE mistakenly deports teenage girl missing since 2010  (Read 13444 times)

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
Re: ICE mistakenly deports teenage girl missing since 2010
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 08:44:30 pm »
There are plenty of people that share the same name. So you gotta go by more than just the damn name when putting someone through the legal wringer.
-A Pen Name

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 09:14:42 pm »
I think there's plenty of blame to go around. It frightens me, however, to see how badly they botched the whole situation. I talked to my mother about it, and she placed the blame on the teen. As noted by Jack Mann, she was also pregnant. To me, it might be rape, but we'll have to wait for more details.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 09:22:33 pm »
Why in the hell would she give them a fake name anyways?

Presumably to keep her identity a secret. /captain obvious

In all seriousness, she was a runaway. She probably didn't want to go home then, and was afraid she'd get sent back to her divorced parents if she gave her real name.

Let's see, false name, deportation...real name, get sent home and can easily leave again...hmm, which would i choose?
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline DasFuchs

• God
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 09:24:42 pm »
At first blush (and I feel furious with myself over it) I blamed the victim in giving the fake name in the first place. Seriously, I felt rotten over it and like the worst person in the world.

After a bit more thinking I had to wonder how you can confuse a 14 year old for a 22 year old. Did we also not try to do face matching? Then there was the incompetence of the fingerprinting and everything else.

All in all a rotten thing. But... I read something about her getting on to Facebook and talking about her job. That should have set off warning bells too.

Chances are if they don't have prints, they don't have a picture either.
And seriously? I've known a few young teens that could pass as adults, and a few adults that could pass as kids. Given the amount of traffic through ICE, I'm sure it wasn't all that hard a mistake to make
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Art Vandelay

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 10:08:50 pm »
Well, she certainly got her wish of not being sent home.

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 10:22:36 pm »
Let's see, false name, deportation...real name, get sent home and can easily leave again...hmm, which would i choose?
By the time she realized she was risking deportation, it was probably too late. They wouldn’t believe her if she changed her story.
-A Pen Name

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 10:25:41 pm »
But brown people belong in brown people countries! They'll blend in! /racist
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 12:12:31 am »
At first blush (and I feel furious with myself over it) I blamed the victim in giving the fake name in the first place. Seriously, I felt rotten over it and like the worst person in the world.

After a bit more thinking I had to wonder how you can confuse a 14 year old for a 22 year old. Did we also not try to do face matching? Then there was the incompetence of the fingerprinting and everything else.

All in all a rotten thing. But... I read something about her getting on to Facebook and talking about her job. That should have set off warning bells too.

And seriously? I've known a few young teens that could pass as adults, and a few adults that could pass as kids. Given the amount of traffic through ICE, I'm sure it wasn't all that hard a mistake to make
Perhaps so. But if someone has a warrant out for their arrest there should be a picture you can use which takes little time at all (though admittedly sometimes there isn't even that). As I said, more incompetence.

It's a clusterfuck all around.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Oriet

• Homo sapiens scientia
  • Bishop
  • Disabled Vet MtF Polyamorous Atheist Auspie
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 12:40:02 am »
Wondered when they'd end up deporting US citizens. I knew it was really only a matter of time, and I also highly doubt they'll change their procedures over this (or at least not enough to really do anything).
The Rules, get to know them.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2012, 01:00:12 am »
There are plenty of people that share the same name. So you gotta go by more than just the damn name when putting someone through the legal wringer.

This. If she gave the name "Maria Lopez" or some stereotypical name like that, how could they know the difference between her and any other Maria Lopez in the world?

Offline DasFuchs

• God
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2012, 12:01:10 pm »

Perhaps so. But if someone has a warrant out for their arrest there should be a picture you can use which takes little time at all (though admittedly sometimes there isn't even that). As I said, more incompetence.

Yes, it would be nice if warrants had a picture. But there's what we wish, and then there's reality. Sometimes they only have a picture drawn up by description.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2012, 04:32:21 pm »

Yes, it would be nice if warrants had a picture. But there's what we wish, and then there's reality. Sometimes they only have a picture drawn up by description.

And that actually makes this less excusable, because they should have been far MORE careful precisely because of their lack of information.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2012, 05:58:45 pm »
There's really no excusing it. If they did have the information to make a positive ID, then they didn't use it. If they didn't have it, then they cannot justify deporting someone over it.

What worries me is that these ridiculously lax standards of evidence might be general policy and not a one-off incident.
Σא

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2012, 06:08:08 pm »

Did say sometimes there isn't even that.

I guess my point is 1) They didn't exhaust all possibilities. 2) They probably didn't even care. 3) It's rotten all around.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2012, 07:45:35 pm »
There's really no excusing it. If they did have the information to make a positive ID, then they didn't use it. If they didn't have it, then they cannot justify deporting someone over it.

What worries me is that these ridiculously lax standards of evidence might be general policy and not a one-off incident.
That would indeed be worrying. And I am certain there will be a full investigation into… Aw, hell, no I’m not.  >:(
-A Pen Name