Author Topic: Morinville Schools...Again  (Read 11212 times)

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
Morinville Schools...Again
« on: January 07, 2012, 07:07:38 pm »
Since the old thread disappeared with the old forums, I'll give you guys a refresher on what the issue was and what's been going on with it...

Okay, Morinville, Alberta has four schools, all run by the Catholic School Board while claiming to be public and offered "religious optional" classes for the non-Catholics. The problem with this was that they had religion permeating through ALL of their lessons. In my opinion, the education offered at these schools is horrible (my 12 year old niece didn't even know the United States was our neighbour to the south and that ALBERTA was her fucking home province!). Now, I could understand the schools working this way fifty years ago when 80% of the population of Morinville identified as being Catholic. But now only 30% of the population does, so of course, the parents wanting a secular education (after having issues with their children talking about religion and hell at home) want a good secular option, which the school itself was very resistant to provide.
Finally, they caved in... slightly. I found out that what they did was move a few mobile outbuildings to the sides of the school... small buildings. And the school said that without the religious aspect of the school in the ciricullum (sp?) that the students seeking non-religious instruction would only get about AN HOUR of schooling in a day!
My sister says it almost seems like they're segregating the non-believing students from the believers. She knows some parents that are paying upwards of $300-$400 to have their kids bussed out to neighbouring towns so they can get proper education. My niece described watching a video in her class about the crucification of Jesus Christ and that he had blood pouring down his face from the fucking thorn crown! My sister and her husband don't have the money to bus their kids off, so they're stuck. They either keep them in the religious classes or stick them in a room overcrowded with students to get one hour worth of lessons a day.

Yup, that's fair to all! (sarcasm)

Fuck... Religious... Schools.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: Morinville Schools...Again
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 07:09:49 pm »
Since the old thread disappeared with the old forums, I'll give you guys a refresher on what the issue was and what's been going on with it...

Okay, Morinville, Alberta has four schools, all run by the Catholic School Board while claiming to be public and offered "religious optional" classes for the non-Catholics. The problem with this was that they had religion permeating through ALL of their lessons. In my opinion, the education offered at these schools is horrible (my 12 year old niece didn't even know the United States was our neighbour to the south and that ALBERTA was her fucking home province!). Now, I could understand the schools working this way fifty years ago when 80% of the population of Morinville identified as being Catholic. But now only 30% of the population does, so of course, the parents wanting a secular education (after having issues with their children talking about religion and hell at home) want a good secular option, which the school itself was very resistant to provide.
Finally, they caved in... slightly. I found out that what they did was move a few mobile outbuildings to the sides of the school... small buildings. And the school said that without the religious aspect of the school in the ciricullum (sp?) that the students seeking non-religious instruction would only get about AN HOUR of schooling in a day!
My sister says it almost seems like they're segregating the non-believing students from the believers. She knows some parents that are paying upwards of $300-$400 to have their kids bussed out to neighbouring towns so they can get proper education. My niece described watching a video in her class about the crucification of Jesus Christ and that he had blood pouring down his face from the fucking thorn crown! My sister and her husband don't have the money to bus their kids off, so they're stuck. They either keep them in the religious classes or stick them in a room overcrowded with students to get one hour worth of lessons a day.

Yup, that's fair to all! (sarcasm)

Fuck... Religious... Schools.

In Ancient Greece, a certain philosopher (I'm blanking on the name right now) would demonstrate people's idiocy by pretending to be an idiot himself, and asking simple questions that showed they were hypocrites.

That's what I would do if I was the student in this situation.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 08:33:26 pm »
I think it might be time for the citizens of Morinville to find a lawyer that is willing to make a challenge under the charter of rights. Other options include organizing a tax revolt and refuse to pay the school portion of their bill or getting elected in mass to the board and force the changes.

If none of those options are viable, violence.

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 09:38:55 pm »

In Ancient Greece, a certain philosopher (I'm blanking on the name right now) would demonstrate people's idiocy by pretending to be an idiot himself, and asking simple questions that showed they were hypocrites.

Er. Socrates?
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 09:52:52 pm »

Er. Socrates?

Yeah, What's-his-face!
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 09:59:44 pm »
This kind of stuff is precisely why I oppose continuing to have a publicly funded Catholic school system. The sense of entitlement it creates leads to all kinds of problems, especially in a place like Morinville.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 12:43:48 am »

How the hell has anyone not sued them yet? I don't know how the laws are up there, but that sounds like that's probably illegal.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 03:55:25 am »
A few reasons:

1) Canada doesn't have the same separation between church and state when it comes to schools* as the US, meaning that we can -- and do -- have publicly funded religious schools, namely the Catholic school system. As a result, it's much more difficult to make a case when dealing with religious abuse.

2) Lawsuits are much, much less common up here. Differences in the legal system and different cultural ideas play a role in that.

3) Morinville is a relatively small, heavily Catholic community. If this happened in a large city, there would probably be a huge stink over it, but as it stands the case hasn't really received all that much attention from the media.

That being said, I think this situation definitely merits a lawsuit.

* It should be noted that the public schools in urban areas don't seem to be as affected by this. All of the schools I attended, save for the brief time I spent in a Catholic school, were very secular. This seems to be more of an issue in smaller communities.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 03:34:13 pm »
All I know right now is what I've been hearing from my sister and her family. According to her husband, the school principal at the school my youngest nephew and niece attend has decided to have no involvement with the secular part of the education.

Oh and the 3-400 dollar bus rides? Yeah, that's per KID. So my sister and her husband would wind up paying around $900-$1200 just to get their kids to a decent school... which, obviously, they can't afford.

Another thing that bothers me is that now my eight year old niece is freaking out because her teacher told the class that the world is supposed to come to an end this year on Dec 21. YOU DON'T SAY THING'S LIKE THAT TO A FUCKING EIGHT YEAR OLD!

And I think there ARE parents who tried to sue, but nothing came of it. It winds up just becoming talks between the parents and school board... and the Minister of Education seems to be getting involved only when the parents are ready to murder him and even when he DOES get involved, he doesn't do jack shit.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 05:09:13 pm »
Another thing that bothers me is that now my eight year old niece is freaking out because her teacher told the class that the world is supposed to come to an end this year on Dec 21. YOU DON'T SAY THING'S LIKE THAT TO A FUCKING EIGHT YEAR OLD!

My response would be to go in the next day, pick up the teacher, toss it bodily into the nearest busy street, and teach the damn class myself.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 05:25:49 pm »
Wait...a teacher is trying to install panic and fear into....8 YEAR OLDS!?

So just to reiterate but the Catholic religion does not actually have a set date for the end of the world yes?  12/12/2012 is just when the Mayans ran out of dates on their calender right?

Ironbite-SO WHY IS SHE TELLING THESE KIDS THE WORLD'S GOING TO END ON 12/12/12!!!!???

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 07:12:24 pm »
Because even Canada has its fair share of stupid assholes.

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 07:54:31 pm »
http://www.albertaprimetime.com/Archived.aspx?pd=3199

Apparently, some of the parents have gotten sick and tired of waiting for the government to do anything constructive, and so they made a Human Rights complaint. I also learned that the mobile buildings are in PLACE, but are not functioning yet. The schools also won't give the non-religious students access to anything except for the washrooms and a half hour of gym time a day...

The new Education Minister has stated that if they three school boards fighting this out don't come to a resolution by the middle of January, then HE'LL settle the issue himself and that all sides might not like his solution.

Yup, things are heating up again...

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 08:12:01 pm »
Am I the only one who keeps reading the title as Moronville Schools?

Fuck these schools man.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 08:16:20 pm »
Shane, believe me... Morinville has been the brunt of that joke since it's conception. To everyone else in Alberta, Morinville IS MORONville...