Author Topic: Windows 10 will be free for everyone  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Windows 10 will be free for everyone
« on: March 18, 2015, 04:49:01 pm »
Link

Interesting strategy, making Windows 10 free for absolutely everyone (but not free as in freedom, sorry RMS :( )

I'm assuming they're gonna take a nice chunk of App Store sales to make up that lost cash.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Windows 10 will be free for everyone
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 05:42:17 pm »
Cortana sounds like Bonzi Buddy...

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 07:23:55 pm »
Cortana sounds like Bonzi Buddy...

Hopefully without the spyware.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 08:31:35 pm »
Microtransactions, oh fucking joy.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 11:40:19 pm »
Microtransactions, oh fucking joy.

"Free-2-Play": the Operating System.

They better not be pulling the kind of bullshit I think they might. You know that dashboard or whatever it is the 8 has? I never use it for anything at all. Literally every time I'm on it I immediately hit the desktop button. I think I looked at it once when I first got a window 8 computer, and I found not a single damn thing of use on it. Nothing. I've never downloaded an app for my laptop of desktop. Why? Because why the fuck would I want apps on a PC? Who thought that that ridiculous dashboard as a good idea? Moreover, who though it was a good idea to use that piece of shit to replace the damn start menu?

Yeah they put a start button back on 8 finally, but all it does is take me to that stupid dashboard. by the time the start button was back I had finally gotten used to the lack of it, and had most stuff either available from the bar at the bottom, the desktop, or using the search function off to the side.

You know, I just went to the dashboard to check, and my memory was right. Nothing of use. It would be even worse if you're not connected to internet, since it's all stuff you find on the front page of a news site or social networking wank. Maybe it's because I don't use social networking that I don't like it.

Anyone else seen those touch screen desktops with everything integrated in to the monitor? Why would anyone what that? It has the worst parts of a desktop and a laptop together, with a gimmick slapped on it. Worthless.

History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 12:13:00 am »
That's why I grabbed this as soon as I got my new Windows 8 laptop. I haven't even seen that Metro bullshit in months, it's fantastic.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 11:00:40 pm »
I just got the notice on my computer. I've "reserved" for it. I should be getting a word in my email, soon.

I thought, "Why the heck not?"

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 11:12:51 am »
Same here.  I don't see a problem as long as it doesn't install without my permission, which it said it shouldn't

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 02:18:55 pm »
As long as the next server version has an interface that's functional, i'll be happy.

Server 2012 is cat AIDS.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."