Author Topic: Are we living in a Conservative Era?  (Read 3918 times)

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: Are we living in a Conservative Era?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 06:47:44 pm »
To be fair, Niam, I think that's a power thing and not a party thing. Here in lovely Baltimore, MD. the Democrats have been in charge since we threw the English out. And the rampant abuse and corruption is near Taminy Hall levels. They took out Det. Shawn Suiter who wouldn't go along.
I think your sentiment should read "authority prioritizes blind loyalty and....".
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 04:47:35 pm »
I think inevitable change has a lot to do with it, the 1%'s of this world are divided between denying the reality of climate change and paying lip service to it while practically doing very little because responding to this unique threat requires checking unchecked growth. "Laissez faire" capitalism and "free trade" are the only solutions they'll allow even though they are pouring petrol on the fires.

These people know that major structural shifts are coming because of interconnected factors like climate change, the rise of nationalist populism and the slow disintegration of nation-states on the fringes. Their response to that is to do what they always do, circle the wagons and protect themselves. Give more draconian powers to law enforcement and usher in more authoritarian governments that will shield them from criticism, judgement and responsibility.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2018, 06:03:41 pm »
Yeah, I don't think we're living in a conservative era so much as we are in a populist one.

And, unfortunately, populist conservatives (ie fake populists) have generally done a better job of harnessing populism than populist progressives have.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2018, 11:26:25 pm »
I think the change in the evangelical vote is really interesting. When the evangelicals abandoned Jimmy Carter (who was evangelical and a guy who I think represents the better aspect of Christians) to give their vote to Reagan (who was a Hollywood actor) they sold their soul.

In all appears to be about abortion which wasn't even a major Christian issue until the late early 80s.

The GOP evangelicals no longer follow the Christian Jesus; they follow this guy instead:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ2L-R8NgrA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ2L-R8NgrA</a>

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2018, 11:43:18 pm »
Now, they worship a literal orange or more properly a "golden" cow.

And this is reflected in how poorly they did at the House Elections. Simply put, nobody else than Evangelicals worship the ground Trump walks on outside of literal Neo-Nazis, who see him as Der Fuehrer 2.0.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2018, 01:07:14 am »
Evangelicals wouldn't be so with Trump if Mike Pence wasn't there. It's the only reason he's the VP.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2018, 02:13:25 am »
Evangelicals wouldn't be so with Trump if Mike Pence wasn't there. It's the only reason he's the VP.

Evangelicals broke hard for Trump in the Republican primary. Remember that what got evangelical Christians politically active was Coit v. Green, not Roe v. Wade--in fact, until (I believe) 2002 the Southern Baptist Leadership Conference (or some such group) had a statement in its manifesto in support of abortion rights. The involvement with the anti-abortion movement was a tactic to get around the Carter administration's tax crackdown on groups promoting racial discrimination. Prior to that, it was mainly northern Catholics who opposed abortion rights. (Well, them and Christopher Hitchens.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.