Author Topic: Exoplanet found without a star  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Exoplanet found without a star
« on: October 10, 2013, 03:59:41 am »
http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/press-releases/LonelyPlanet/

The planet appears to be 12 million years old (pretty young as far as planets go. Though young Earth creationists would disagree.) but it is not circling a star. Maybe it got snagged by a traveling black hole or a rogue star? Or could a planet survive the star going supernova? (I would assume no, but I'm not a cosmonaut.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Exoplanet found without a star
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 11:31:24 am »
That looks so much like a starting scene in an indie game, Solar 2, that I want to pick up my xbox controller.

Maybe it is possible for a planet to form or reform after being in the far reaches of the planetary system after a nova. Or it is possibly an accretion of material from a dense nebula, and got yanked loose by a passing star?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 07:21:04 am »
I'm wondering about the difference between a free-floating planet and a very very small brown dwarf.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 02:05:04 pm »
I'm wondering about the difference between a free-floating planet and a very very small brown dwarf.

Well, you see, one's a giant ball of rock and/or gas that floats in space, generally attracted by an orbit of some kind.

The other's a creature that drinks booze, mines rock, and has the survival skills of a lemming in a Disney documentary.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 03:42:46 pm »
I once knew a small brown dwarf.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 11:23:23 pm »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 01:05:09 pm »
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 04:44:05 pm »
Priceless! Did you make that or find it TIM?

Anyway, here's another and actually realistic astrophysics sandbox game, LP'ed by my fave vlogger, Nerd3.
I want this game so I can simulate how Planet Loveshy may have come into being...which involves lots of hard core bullying and rejection, basically.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7j75lThw-M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7j75lThw-M</a>
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Indikins

• Pope
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 11:18:50 pm »
I know basically nothing about astrophysics and astronomy and the like, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but...is this planet completely stationary without a star?
I once had a nightmare about chickens pecking me to death on my driveway. I told my sister to save herself.

This is the #1 nightmare.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 11:38:09 pm »
I know basically nothing about astrophysics and astronomy and the like, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but...is this planet completely stationary without a star?

I would think it wouldn't be: it's still in our galaxy (being only 80 light-years distant) and so is subject to gravitational forces from the black hole at the centre of our galaxy (around which our sun rotates). And even if it were truly stationary in one frame of reference, it might not be stationary in another frame of reference.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 12:30:29 am »
Priceless! Did you make that or find it TIM?
Literally googled "forever alone planet" and tada!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 12:12:28 am by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 12:21:14 pm »

No. The paper has an analysis of its kinematics (section 3.2) and suggests it might be part of the Beta Pictoris moving group.

Disclaimer: I'm not an astrophysicist either.
Σא