Author Topic: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread  (Read 2014886 times)

Offline Aqualung

• Crazy Person Magnet
  • Apprentice
  • I don't know and neither do you!
Re: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2012, 04:26:41 pm »

When I write music, I need to remember that this sort of instruction is acceptable.
What I would like to know is what you're supposed to do when it says a note should be both sharp and flat. Do you go with the first label? Do you go with the last label? Do they cancel each other out?

That doesn't happen. As armandtanzarian already said this is just a modulation in key. You can have flats or sharps and naturals in the same measure though. Or double flats or double sharps, which lower or raise the note one whole step, respectively.
"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun." --Billy Joel

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2012, 04:29:03 pm »
I wish more kids gravitated toward lava.

Do you ever stop being awesome?

I take a fifteen minute break around 4pm.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2012, 04:42:34 pm »
What the hell is the deal with all kids, everywhere, regardless of their time and culture, playing some version of 'The Floor is Lava'?? Some kind of impromptu game suitable for any location or number of players in which certain areas of the ground (particularly patterned tile floors) are deemed 'safe' to walk on and others 'off-limits' or 'dangerous' (like being a bottomless pit or lava or something). I'm not an anthropologist or behavioural psychologist or anything but it seems like this 'game' and its 'rules' transcends culture and time. Probably because it requires no skill or talent, equipment, time constraints, baseline intelligence beyond being able to walk and jump, or even any successful verbal communication--all making it easy to play anywhere, at any time, incorporating any number of players, and even when you can't understand each other.

Maybe it's just one of those things that kids instinctively gravitate towards.

Actually, you got it pretty well hit. Its just a basic game that anyone can play, which can be helpful as an ice breaker for kids and is just simple fun.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2012, 04:59:38 pm »
Maybe it has to do with the instinct to develop survival skills?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Jack Bauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Pope
  • On Craggy Island, under deep cover.
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2012, 09:53:53 pm »

Part wolf, part pirate.

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”   -  Albert Einstein.

Offline Aqualung

• Crazy Person Magnet
  • Apprentice
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2012, 10:05:55 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5VFCedC-Ok" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5VFCedC-Ok</a>
"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun." --Billy Joel

Offline Da Rat Bastid

• Pope
  • Takes what he can, while he can.
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2012, 10:58:31 pm »
Or double flats or double sharps, which lower or raise the note one whole step, respectively.

(Rat feels his brain have a hiccup as he tries to grasp this information.)

Ummm....if you're going to change a note by a whole step, why not simply, y'know, write the note to be one step higher or lower in the first place?  It's been more than two decades since I played in my high school's band, but as I recall, sheet-music staffs do allow for that. ???

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2012, 11:14:16 pm »
Or double flats or double sharps, which lower or raise the note one whole step, respectively.

(Rat feels his brain have a hiccup as he tries to grasp this information.)

Ummm....if you're going to change a note by a whole step, why not simply, y'know, write the note to be one step higher or lower in the first place?  It's been more than two decades since I played in my high school's band, but as I recall, sheet-music staffs do allow for that. ???
I think the double sharps and double flats result from a picky nomenclature thing regarding playing certain chords in certain keys.
-A Pen Name

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2012, 11:25:35 pm »

Offline Aqualung

• Crazy Person Magnet
  • Apprentice
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2012, 11:31:48 pm »

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2012, 11:36:56 pm »

-A Pen Name

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2012, 11:39:36 pm »

Offline Da Rat Bastid

• Pope
  • Takes what he can, while he can.
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2012, 12:38:26 am »

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2012, 12:46:39 am »
What the hell is the deal with all kids, everywhere, regardless of their time and culture, playing some version of 'The Floor is Lava'?? Some kind of impromptu game suitable for any location or number of players in which certain areas of the ground (particularly patterned tile floors) are deemed 'safe' to walk on and others 'off-limits' or 'dangerous' (like being a bottomless pit or lava or something). I'm not an anthropologist or behavioural psychologist or anything but it seems like this 'game' and its 'rules' transcends culture and time. Probably because it requires no skill or talent, equipment, time constraints, baseline intelligence beyond being able to walk and jump, or even any successful verbal communication--all making it easy to play anywhere, at any time, incorporating any number of players, and even when you can't understand each other.

Maybe it's just one of those things that kids instinctively gravitate towards.

I'm thirty-something, and I still do this unless I mentally check myself.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2012, 01:20:52 am »