Author Topic: McDonald's suggested employee budget.  (Read 14913 times)

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
Re: McDonald's suggested employee budget.
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 01:07:15 am »
Canada really needs to start taking in American refugees.

This would be a dream come true.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2013, 01:16:41 am »
Canada really needs to start taking in American refugees.

This would be a dream come true.

With regard to this sort of stuff, we're hardly better.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2013, 01:38:42 am »
It's the path that leads to the company store.  Where you aren't actually paid money, but company script that only the company store will take.

Ironbite-and the quality is...suspect.
Well, it's stuck in my head now, so here you all go.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfp2O9ADwGk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfp2O9ADwGk</a>
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2013, 07:12:22 am »
I thought employers were supposed to offer multiple options when it came to payment. Something beyond the debit card. Someone raised hell about McDonald's only giving her cards not too long ago, and they supposedly corrected the issue.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline tempus

• Bishop
Congratulations.  You found Ronald Reagan. He’s living in each and every one of you.  Just waiting to gnaw his way out of your chest and skitter off into the ventilation ducts.

--Neckfucker

That shape...that figure...those curves...god damn the weighted companion cube has never looked so good!

--Anonymous

Los Angeles is a city of brick, steel, concrete, and asphalt. There's no room for cows.

--CommanderCoffee

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2013, 07:51:05 am »
It looks like America needs a MASSIVE overhaul of her employment laws.  Some of the shit I read about US employers being legally allowed to do are rediculous, and so very very illegal in the EU.  We even have restrictions on how many hours you can work in a week.  You can actually work over that if you want, but you have to sign waver forms and most employers now are very reluctant to let you work over those hours.  Some will even straight up refuse to let you work that many hours, if you ask they'll just be like, "Nope!"

Distind

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2013, 08:09:22 am »
Not to mention some of these places pay with pre-paid debit cards with fees for withdrawing money

This is legal?

It is now.
May not be for long, at least one lawsuit is being filed against such things as they're a massively unfair and exploitative practice.

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2013, 08:47:11 am »
Here's a quick copy/paste of a comment and the replies to it. The third one is reminiscent of Romney's comment back during the election.

Christopher Engleby · Penn State
no the biggest problem facing our generation today is the refusal to admit its your own fault and get out their and change it.. start your own business .. for some reason we think we should be entertained and party 24/7 and still be paid like the people out their creating jobs and opportunities. sad
Reply · 127 ·  · 10 hours ago

The third one is reminiscent of Romney's comment back during the election. Really dude? Just start a business? Do you know how hard that actually is? Do you know how many small businesses I see come and go rather quickly?

This reminds me of a guy I know who is my age and is a hard core right-winger. Me and some other guys went by his house to pick him up on the way go have a goodbye party for another friend leaving to join the army. I saw his house and my friend made note of how big and nice it was and how it was in a brand new, high end neighborhood. His parents had to be pretty rich. I wonder if shit like that distorts these people's view of the world.

Yes it distorts, a lot.  Start your own business, go back to school, get a 2nd job are standard responses from well-off people who have a bit of a disconnect from reality.  They don't realize that being born into a higher social class creates opportunity, and connections.  Maybe a lot easier for a guy like that to just say, "Hey, I hate my fucking job, I'll call so-and-so and talk about that business we always wanted to start."     

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2013, 08:49:14 am »
Health insurance costing $20 a month? Are they high?

Also, fuck food. We don't need that.

McDonald's employee insurance that covers a single doctor visit a year and 1000 dollars worth of emergent care is 20 a month.

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2013, 11:06:03 am »
Visa and McDs have created a website to show workers how to budget.  And the peasants rejoice.   

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/202172/mcdonalds-suggested-budget-for-employees-shows-just-how-impossible-it-is-to-get-by-on-minimum-wage/

Ok NO money for heating?  How does that work?

only 90 for electricity?  Even if you get budget billing that's going to be at least over 100 and if you use electricity instead of gas, then more so.

150 for a car?  And how much for the repairs you will constantly need because you bought a shitty automobile?

And where's the money for food?  Did I miss it?

However, you can find an apartment for 600. I use to have one for 500.  Of course I lived in St. Louis with an unusually low cost of living and it was filled with bed begs and a drunk neighbor who would make my ceiling shake (from BELOW my apartment).  And how does this budget account for the down payment (that's 1200 one has to come up with immediately.)

Yeah there's certainly a disconnect here.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2013, 11:16:50 am »
Here's a quick copy/paste of a comment and the replies to it. The third one is reminiscent of Romney's comment back during the election.

Christopher Engleby · Penn State
no the biggest problem facing our generation today is the refusal to admit its your own fault and get out their and change it.. start your own business .. for some reason we think we should be entertained and party 24/7 and still be paid like the people out their creating jobs and opportunities. sad
Reply · 127 ·  · 10 hours ago

The third one is reminiscent of Romney's comment back during the election. Really dude? Just start a business? Do you know how hard that actually is? Do you know how many small businesses I see come and go rather quickly?

This reminds me of a guy I know who is my age and is a hard core right-winger. Me and some other guys went by his house to pick him up on the way go have a goodbye party for another friend leaving to join the army. I saw his house and my friend made note of how big and nice it was and how it was in a brand new, high end neighborhood. His parents had to be pretty rich. I wonder if shit like that distorts these people's view of the world.

Yes it distorts, a lot.  Start your own business, go back to school, get a 2nd job are standard responses from well-off people who have a bit of a disconnect from reality.  They don't realize that being born into a higher social class creates opportunity, and connections.  Maybe a lot easier for a guy like that to just say, "Hey, I hate my fucking job, I'll call so-and-so and talk about that business we always wanted to start."   
I'm just going to leave this here, then.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2013, 11:17:40 am »
Visa and McDs have created a website to show workers how to budget.  And the peasants rejoice.   

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/202172/mcdonalds-suggested-budget-for-employees-shows-just-how-impossible-it-is-to-get-by-on-minimum-wage/

only 90 for electricity?  Even if you get budget billing that's going to be at least over 100 and if you use electricity instead of gas, then more so.

150 for a car?  And how much for the repairs you will constantly need because you bought a shitty automobile?

However, you can find an apartment for 600. I use to have one for 500.  Of course I lived in St. Louis with an unusually low cost of living and it was filled with bed begs and a drunk neighbor who would make my ceiling shake (from BELOW my apartment).  And how does this budget account for the down payment (that's 1200 one has to come up with immediately.)

I think food is under 'other'.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2013, 11:19:12 am »

I assumed 'spending money'. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think I could get by on $100/mo as a food budget. Not well, at least. Though threads I've seen on this elsewhere suggest that Mickey D's assumes all their employs are on food stamps so fuck it.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2013, 11:24:19 am »

So 100 bucks a month for Food.. and clothes.. and gas.. and shit that just pops up every so often?!
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Art Vandelay

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2013, 11:35:16 am »
Let's see. No food budget (pretty self explanatory). No fuel budget despite both car insurance and car payments. As for existing car related expenses, $150 car loan payments and $100 covering both car and home insurance is fucking retarded. If a car that cheap will have rather hefty insurance premiums, especially so if the owner is under 25. You can either have a cheap car or cheap car insurance, you can't have both. Explicitly $0 on heating, well, I hope you live in Texas or Florida. I guess if you're Alaskan, you're as good as bankrupt. $600 a month will barely cover the most shitty apartment you can rent, and won't be nearly enough to cover any mortgage. Granted, you could if you have a working partner or at least one room mate it's feasible. However, if you're working to support your family, I guess you're royally fucked.

Yeah, that budget is bullshit, and the $900 of other + spending money wouldn't even come close to covering the discrepancies. It was an admirable effort from the folks at Visa and McDonalds, however, it's still quite clear that the minimum wage in America is in fact in dire need of a raise.