Author Topic: Dutch group arrested for "gay propaganda" in Russia.  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Dutch group arrested for "gay propaganda" in Russia.
« on: July 24, 2013, 05:35:50 am »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/22/dutch-tourists-jailed-russia-gay_n_3635803.html

A while ago, Russia made some law against what they call "homosexual propaganda." Now we have the first foreign victims of the law as a Dutch group that was holding a seminar with Russian LGBT group has been arrested.

The police were reportedly looking for minors at the meeting, according to Gazeta, but found none. They did, however, discover a 17-year-old in the film footage. The teen had told the crew he was 18 years old at the time of his interview, according to the report. Police were able to keep the Dutch tourists under the "homosexual propaganda" law.

The anti-gay legislation, which was signed into law by Russian President Vladimir Putin on June 30, stigmatizes gay people and bans anyone from giving children information on homosexuality. Earlier this month, it was announced tourists would be subjected to the same fines and sentences as residents if found in violation of the "gay propaganda" law. Foreigners can be jailed up to 14 days.

So, not only is the law incredicly stupid and discriminatory, the group had been acting in good faith and it was the 17-year olds lie that caused them to break the law. Although I'm now curious as to how did the police know that the kid in some random video isn't 18?  Was he a plant or were they so desperate to find any evidence to arrest LGBT people that they tracked down everyone on the videos who looked young?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
Re: Dutch group arrested for "gay propaganda" in Russia.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 06:36:58 am »
Apparently, Russia has its own Taliban.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 08:19:37 am »

Now that's not fair, the Taliban are a fringe group of bigoted radicals. In Russia the bigoted radicals are the majority and government leaders.
The homosexual propaganda law is crazy and seems to be enforced more strictly than most other laws. In short, if they could get away with a Uganda style law, they would probably have done that.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 08:21:56 am »

Now that's not fair, the Taliban are a fringe group of bigoted radicals. In Russia the bigoted radicals are the majority and government leaders.
The homosexual propaganda law is crazy and seems to be enforced more strictly than most other laws. In short, if they could get away with a Uganda style law, they would probably have done that.

The Taliban are also the majority and government leaders in the tribal regions of Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 08:34:09 am »
I thought Russia was non religious.  What reason would seculars have to be anti gay? 

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 08:57:29 am »
I thought Russia was non religious.  What reason would seculars have to be anti gay?

Ew, gay, icky, ew!
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 10:08:50 am »
Heard about this last night.  What the hell Russia?  Arresting people for petty bullshit because they're afraid of homosexuality. And on top of that, pretty much every march for equal rights there lately has ended with violence started by the anti-gay crowd.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 10:12:25 am »
You'd think Putin would've learned from the Czarists and the Bolshevik Revolution that doing this kind of shit...generally pisses people the hell off.  If Putin doesn't get the stick out of his ass, Russia will probably see another revolt in my lifetime.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 01:08:29 pm »
Actually the orthodox church gained power

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 01:50:50 pm »

Very much that, also a long standing cultural tradition of uber macho-ism, plus during the communist era, homosexuality was deemed to be a decadent elitist counter-revolutionary indulgence that had to be purged from society.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 01:55:05 pm »
From what I know the communists in USSR weren't as tough on religion as other communist regimes. (Like China for example.)

And another thing that's been on the rise in Russia are nationalistic movements like Neo-Nazis. Those usually consider homophobia to be part of their ideology.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 04:09:57 am »

No group has a monopoly on being douchebags.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 05:02:58 am »

Quoted for truth.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 05:56:10 am »
Russia is one peculiar place.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 04:51:16 pm »

Except, of course, for douchebags.
Σא