Author Topic: Row in Stormont  (Read 2329 times)

Offline Artyom15

• Neonate
Row in Stormont
« on: September 25, 2015, 10:03:59 pm »
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-34176740

Crisis over welfare reform in Northern Ireland ended up turning into a much larger issue when former IRA members were killed back in August.

This forum really doesn't discuss more minor issues like this, but my opinion on it is that the DUP and Unionists are using the murders as an excuse to throw a shit-fit over Sinn Fein's refusal to implement welfare reforms and for just general shit-flinging.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Row in Stormont
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 04:35:55 am »

Crisis over welfare reform in Northern Ireland ended up turning into a much larger issue when former IRA members were killed back in August.

This forum really doesn't discuss more minor issues like this, but my opinion on it is that the DUP and Unionists are using the murders as an excuse to throw a shit-fit over Sinn Fein's refusal to implement welfare reforms and for just general shit-flinging.

More minor issue?  To those of us who live here it's a pretty damn big issue that our government and a significant part of the  Good Friday Agreement - which you might remember was kind of how and why The Troubles ended - might be falling apart lol.  That's probably hyperbolic and it will probably get sorted without everything turning back to shit again, but still.

But anyway - yeah, you're not the only one who suspects that this whole thing is a convenient excuse that the DUP has been waiting for.  I'm hoping after this debacle everyone will stop voting DUP and then maybe we can all move on and join the rest of western Europe in the 21st Century, but unfortunately I know what people here are like and I know that's not going to happen.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 04:38:27 am by Katsuro »

Offline Artyom15

• Neonate
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 12:30:52 pm »

More minor issue?  To those of us who live here it's a pretty damn big issue that our government and a significant part of the  Good Friday Agreement - which you might remember was kind of how and why The Troubles ended - might be falling apart lol.  That's probably hyperbolic and it will probably get sorted without everything turning back to shit again, but still.

But anyway - yeah, you're not the only one who suspects that this whole thing is a convenient excuse that the DUP has been waiting for.  I'm hoping after this debacle everyone will stop voting DUP and then maybe we can all move on and join the rest of western Europe in the 21st Century, but unfortunately I know what people here are like and I know that's not going to happen.

Bad phrasing on my part, but Ireland is pretty tiny. Not much posted about it here that I've seen, so apologies if I offended you. Meant minor issue for the forum.

But the only way I can see it falling apart at this point is if the DUP goes and starts supporting paramilitary action again to get their way, seeing as they failed to get Sinn Fein expelled. If they had gotten that well... I'd have been scared shitless for the results.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 02:23:30 pm »
So for those of us who aren't Irish, what exactly is the DUP and why are they bad?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 02:26:29 pm »
i misread the title as "stormfront". please tell me that wasn't prophetic in any way.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 08:14:37 pm »
i misread the title as "stormfront". please tell me that wasn't prophetic in any way.

You're not the only one.

Offline Artyom15

• Neonate
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 09:37:17 pm »
So for those of us who aren't Irish, what exactly is the DUP and why are they bad?

Democratic Unionist Party. They support Northern Ireland remaining part of the United Kingdom and more conservative policies, e.g. the welfare reform issue that set off the current crisis before former PIRA members were killed. They're not bad, but they're using the IRA killings as ammunition against Sinn Fein and not accepting anything short of Sinn Fein going "Yeah, the IRA are still armed and active" as a good enough answer.

You're not the only one.

I can see where the confusion comes from, but Stormont is basically the equivalent to Washington in Northern Ireland.