Author Topic: "Top Gear" vs. Redneck xians in Alabama  (Read 7450 times)

Offline the_ignored

• Bishop
    • Skeptic Friends Network
"Top Gear" vs. Redneck xians in Alabama
« on: January 15, 2014, 07:47:21 pm »
You have got to see this.  The hosts of the British (original) `Top Gear`show go to the Alabama and piss off a bunch of fundies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKcJ-0bAHB4

Feel the stirrings of the Holy Spirit in the american south!

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
Re: "Top Gear" vs. Redneck xians in Alabama
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 09:10:10 pm »
They were lucky to get out alive in that one. Glad they were okay.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 09:28:05 pm »
"Some new mottos for a few states:

Georgia: Hey, at least we're not Alabama.
Alabama:  At least we're not Mississippi.
Mississippi:  Well, at least we're not...  uh...  Aw, dammit."

Don't remember where I saw that joke originally.  Seems like something Conan would have done in one of his segments though. 

Anyway, I've seen this bit before on TV.  While I know there CAN be people like that in AL, having been there before; I'm going to reserve judgment against the entire state (not to mention the region).

Just gonna say, people will do some crazy hick shit for money no matter what country or part of said country they're in.

I did laugh though.  Even if they did pan NASCAR :( (Happy retirement, Mark Martin!)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:30:53 pm by The Doctor »

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:36:02 pm »
I did laugh though.  Even if they did pan NASCAR :( (Happy retirement, Mark Martin!)

I would say they don't get it because they're British, but I'm fairly certain that anyone who doesn't watch it doesn't get it.
Who needs a signature?

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 09:44:35 pm »

I would say they don't get it because they're British, but I'm fairly certain that anyone who doesn't watch it doesn't get it.
Eh, That's probably the case.  Now I'm gonna have to find a new racer to root for... or maybe I should just take my leave like Mark has... It's just not gonna be the same...

But, I digress...

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 10:07:22 pm »
Well, this was odd.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 10:18:32 pm »
What I love is how proudly the garage owner declares, "This is a hick town!"
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 10:29:52 pm »
And the last comment from the show's host, "I honestly believe that people in certain parts of America have started to mate with vegetables" ;D

Yes indeed, they done us Southerners proud <head implodes>
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 10:37:42 pm »
Okay, so you can fuck your sister, your cousin or your goat but you can't fuck someone the same sex. What a wonderful world the Southern United States is...

Oh, you're also apparently not ever allowed to bad-mouth NASCAR. Boo.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 01:40:44 am »
I remember watching that episode back in high school. That was one of their better episodes.

Anyway, I've seen this bit before on TV.  While I know there CAN be people like that in AL, having been there before; I'm going to reserve judgment against the entire state (not to mention the region).

Just gonna say, people will do some crazy hick shit for money no matter what country or part of said country they're in.
I imagine if you went to Manchester, England and drove around in a car with "Manchester United is Shit" written all over it, well, you'd wish an irate petrol station owner and a pickup full of hillbillies was all you had to deal with. Hell, just hint that the local soccer team in pretty much any area isn't very good and it'll probably end very badly for you.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 01:55:46 am »
I guessing that those scenes were about as real as the avegage "scripted reality show" but at least they make a pretty funny series.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 03:16:54 am »
I remember watching that episode back in high school. That was one of their better episodes.

I imagine if you went to Manchester, England and drove around in a car with "Manchester United is Shit" written all over it, well, you'd wish an irate petrol station owner and a pickup full of hillbillies was all you had to deal with. Hell, just hint that the local soccer team in pretty much any area isn't very good and it'll probably end very badly for you.

Well, to be fair, in Manchester there will be some people who agree with you about United being shit. They're called City fans.  :P
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 04:46:11 am »
I guessing that those scenes were about as real as the avegage "scripted reality show" but at least they make a pretty funny series.

No, no... it was actually legit for that place they went to.  Had a friend that lived a couple towns over that I showed the clip to.  His answer? "Yeah, that's about what I expected from those dumbfucks."
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 06:08:34 am »

Well, to be fair, in Manchester there will be some people who agree with you about United being shit. They're called City fans.  :P

Ha, fair point lol.  Also I doubt in Manchester if you pulled into a petrol station the owner would call "the boys" who show up in the back of a pickup truck carring guns.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 12:52:39 pm »
Nah.  They'd have knives.