Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1463266 times)

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #6975 on: June 14, 2017, 01:52:14 am »
Nintendo has barely made any new IPs

1-2-Switch
Arms
ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat
Box Boy
Captain Rainbow
Codename: STEAM
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Ever Oasis
FlingSmash
Fluidity
Freakyforms
HarmoKnight
Hotel Dusk
The Last Story
Pandora's Tower
Reginleiv
Rusty's Real Deal Baseball
Sakura Samurai
Snipperclips
Soma Bringer
Splatoon
Steel Diver
Tank Troopers
Tomadachi Life/Miitopia
Wii
Wonderful 101
Xenoblade

So here's a list of the first and second party IPs Nintendo has published in the last ten years. Sure, not all of them were released outside of Japan or even good, but I think this list gives me leave to say the following:

With all due respect (and there is a lot of respect there), Ravy, shut up.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 02:04:47 am by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6976 on: June 14, 2017, 07:48:17 am »
I shall respectfully decline.  Compared to the Xbox, where there is tonnes of indie content, Nintendo just doesn't stack up.  Its done okay with first party IPs, I'll not say they've been totally stagnant, but to claim that they've got the same breadth of content as the competition is, in my eyes, ludicrous.  That is another issue I have with Nintendo: their gimmick boxes make development for third parties distinctly difficult.  As an engineer, I know how much of a pain in the ass it is to support multiple BROWSERS, let alone multiple hardware architectures, control schemes, and operating systems.  If Nintendo would cut the gimmicky crap and just make a damned games machine with standard inputs, I'd be willing to bet that their third party support would increase tenfold.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #6977 on: June 14, 2017, 10:50:21 am »
That's some grade a goal post moving, there. You said they don't make new IPs, but now it's about third parties? I mean, I'd go deeper in how third parties are a red herring, but I'm at work at the moment.
Who needs a signature?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6978 on: June 14, 2017, 02:08:41 pm »
I didn't say none; read, please.  I explicitly said "barely."  Unlike others, I try to choose my words precisely.  I have myriad reasons to dislike them.  Don't get me wrong, I wish Nintendo would stop trying to be the quirky neighbour with a gross misunderstanding of how things work in the internet age.  My first game was on the NES; I spent years of my life enjoying Nintendo stuff.  I remember how they used to be, WHY they still get incredible sales despite their overwhelming arrogance and ineptitude.  I want them to be good again and stop being assholes stuck in the 90s.  I have, however, said all I intend to on this matter.  I'll not derail things further.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #6979 on: June 14, 2017, 09:28:08 pm »
*munches popcorn and watched the fight*

If the console is fun for those who play it, why worry about haters?

I,mma hop back on Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time now.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #6980 on: June 14, 2017, 11:46:20 pm »
I didn't say none; read, please.  I explicitly said "barely."  Unlike others, I try to choose my words precisely.  I have myriad reasons to dislike them.  Don't get me wrong, I wish Nintendo would stop trying to be the quirky neighbour with a gross misunderstanding of how things work in the internet age.  My first game was on the NES; I spent years of my life enjoying Nintendo stuff.  I remember how they used to be, WHY they still get incredible sales despite their overwhelming arrogance and ineptitude.  I want them to be good again and stop being assholes stuck in the 90s.  I have, however, said all I intend to on this matter.  I'll not derail things further.

Honestly, I have no interest in arguing about Nintendo's hardware. I see good and bad in both the Wii and Wii U, while I see the Switch as Nintendo adopting an overdue handheld first strategy.  However, I gave you a list of 27 first and second party IPs Nintendo has published in ten years. That's an average of almost three every year. Again, not all of them were good, released outside of Japan or are major releases, but I think that's proof enough that the rhetoric that Nintendo doesn't release enough new IPs is kinda bullshit.

Now, you might wonder why they don't make more AA or AAA IPs and there's a very simple explanation: They tend to sell poorly. Simply put, Splatoon and Xenoblade are the exception, not the rule. Codename: STEAM sold like crap, Wonderful 101 sold like crap. At best, Nintendo's new IPs are hit or miss in success. For every one that succeeds, there's one that bombs.

For the record: This thread is about talking about video games. We're talking about video games, so I'm not sure why you think you're derailing the thread.
Who needs a signature?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6981 on: June 15, 2017, 07:38:29 am »
Fair enough.  Figured this was more for the content and less about the industry.

Also, I saw some gameplay and trailers and I gotta say, there's a few things outta E3 that piqued my interest that aren't Wolfenstein: Days Gone, Call of Cthulhu, Crackdown 3, and Vampyr, in no particular order.  I am hype as fuck for Crackdown 3.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #6982 on: June 15, 2017, 01:44:54 pm »
Crackdown 3 appears to basically be Terry Crews: the Video Game. I am surprisingly OK with this.

Also something I'm surprisingly OK with: Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. Sure, I'll play Nintendo and Ubisoft's take on X-Com.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #6983 on: June 15, 2017, 02:20:57 pm »
I was expecting to LOATHE Mario x Rabbids. However, with it being basically X-COM, I'm in.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6984 on: June 17, 2017, 11:47:33 am »
Managed to get Fantasy General for free from GOG. Haven't gotten far but seems like the game has aged relatively well.

...The UI is horribly complicated but useable and in a turn based strategy that is at least less of an issue than real-time games.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6985 on: June 20, 2017, 08:45:03 am »
I wonder, is there anyone here that actually likes bloom? At least the excessive amounts of it you tend to see in games nowadays? It just occurred to me that I don't think I've ever heard anyone speak positively of it, so I'm curious if it really is as universally disliked as it seems.

Come to think of it, I should probably ask the same about motion blur while I'm at it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:00:42 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6986 on: June 20, 2017, 01:32:06 pm »
Eeh, they're like any other tools: used well, the results can be quite good.  Unfortunately, they can be...used to excess, much to the detriment of the games that use them in such a manner.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6987 on: June 20, 2017, 04:03:53 pm »
I wonder, is there anyone here that actually likes bloom? At least the excessive amounts of it you tend to see in games nowadays? It just occurred to me that I don't think I've ever heard anyone speak positively of it, so I'm curious if it really is as universally disliked as it seems.

My simple rule is "if I can notice it, you're doing it wrong". Proper levels of bloom should meld with the environment around it to create a natural effect that you don't notice.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #6988 on: June 20, 2017, 06:00:35 pm »
Bloom is way better than it used to be. Fable is still one of the worst looking games I've ever played purely for the sheer amount of bloom in it. Everything was fucking radioactive.
Who needs a signature?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6989 on: June 22, 2017, 12:03:00 am »
So essentially, bloom can be good if used properly (i.e. sparingly). Makes sense. I just wish more games would use it properly instead of turning half the screen white whenever you look at any even slightly pale surface or object.

That said, I have to disagree about motion blur. It's only purpose is copying the look of film and its low frame rate action shots for the sake of copying film.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:30:20 am by Art Vandelay »