Author Topic: What are some religious phrases you hate?  (Read 66578 times)

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
Re: What are some religious phrases you hate?
« Reply #195 on: December 30, 2012, 03:38:34 pm »
I can't remember if I said on this thread how much I hate the "Prosperity Gospel" Bullshit. So Religious Phrases I Hate : "If you're wealthy its because god loves you" argh.

Yeah, cos it was Jesus who said "Accumulate! Accumulate! That is Moses and the Prophets!"  ::) :P

I thought the prosperity gospel was "God made you rich so you can share it with others."

Some try to make it sound better by saying that, but its most basic form is "Faith=Money and power".

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #196 on: December 30, 2012, 09:03:56 pm »
Here are the ones that really annoy me:

1. If there's no god, then there are no consequences, and you might as well just rape and murder people.

WTF!  Is god really the only thing that stops you from raping and killing people? People like this scare me.

2. If evolution is true then that means you're descended from monkeys!

Why do fundies have such a problem with this? What's so bad about monkeys?

3. So you just think life is worthless then!

I don't need to believe in a higher power to think life is worth something. If anyone thinks life is worthless it is you.

4. When someone is seriously injured in a hurricane or some other natural disaster and someone says "We are praying for them/ god will save them"

Is this the same god that at the very least allowed that hurricane to happen in the first place? I know that disasters are difficult for people, but I really don't understand the thought process behind this one.

5. Not really a phrase, but I fucking hate it when actors/musicians thank god when they win awards. Firstly, it's unbelievably arrogant to think that a higher power would give a shit about you winning some meaningless award. Secondly, it doesn't reflect well on god. "Fuck all the starving people in Africa, I need to make sure Beyonce wins a VMA"

6. You've got no soul.
I just hate the smug way people will say this, as if they are sooo much more deep and meaningful than you are.

Thats all for now, but i'm sure i'll think of more.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #197 on: December 31, 2012, 12:08:36 am »

1. If there's no god, then there are no consequences, and you might as well just rape and murder people.

WTF!  Is god really the only thing that stops you from raping and killing people? People like this scare me.

They don't scare me.  Virtually all of them would be just as kind and compassionate if they were atheists as if they were Christians.  The problem is that they've internalized their dogma to such an extent that they attribute any feeling they have to their belief in the bible.  So, if they see someone suffering and want to help, it's because they've listened to the teachings of Christ.  This also goes for their darker impulses.  They attribute their hatreds and prejudices to their religion as well.  For the most part, they wouldn't be any better or any worse if they changed their belief system.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #198 on: December 31, 2012, 08:14:49 am »

They don't scare me.  Virtually all of them would be just as kind and compassionate if they were atheists as if they were Christians.  The problem is that they've internalized their dogma to such an extent that they attribute any feeling they have to their belief in the bible.  So, if they see someone suffering and want to help, it's because they've listened to the teachings of Christ.  This also goes for their darker impulses.  They attribute their hatreds and prejudices to their religion as well.  For the most part, they wouldn't be any better or any worse if they changed their belief system.

I dunno...You're mostly right, but I've met several people who acted in ways that made me think their professed Christianity really was the only think keeping them from going ax crazy. You know, the kinds of people who despise the human race, but will still work for charities and donate money because the Bible says so, grumbling all the while.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #199 on: December 31, 2012, 11:25:14 am »

Also, there are some Christians who become atheists and then think that it's suddenly OK to be racist or sexist, since supposedly those are only religious things.
Pretty much your stereotypical teenage atheist.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #200 on: December 31, 2012, 11:39:52 am »

4. When someone is seriously injured in a hurricane or some other natural disaster and someone says "We are praying for them/ god will save them"

Is this the same god that at the very least allowed that hurricane to happen in the first place? I know that disasters are difficult for people, but I really don't understand the thought process behind this one.

I heard someone say that with regard to the Sandy Hook shooting.  One little girl survived = God's intervention.  This never used to bug me, but then fridge horror sinks in.  Ironically, people who say this are actually compassionate compared to the Calvinists who see this is God's divine punishment.

A couple more I hate

"You need to keep an open mind"

More like "stop using logic and just belieeeeeeeeeeve!".  Gag me.

Any DARVO bullshit (deny attack, reverve victim and offender).  I'm tempted to start a thread on just that.  I also hate how Christians have (or attempted to) highjacked words to give them a meaning more in line with Christianity theology.  Call them out on it, and they'll accuse you of changing words. 

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #201 on: January 09, 2015, 07:51:09 pm »
This thread is old, but what the heck. I think I can contribute a little...

One thing I hear fundies say is "God will not be mocked." As if Gobs can really do anything. You know, the picture that Fundies paint of God is he's a spoiled bratty little kid. So yes, Gobs WILL be mocked.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #202 on: January 11, 2015, 01:49:35 pm »
In reference to people being gay/trans/whatever else, "God doesn't make mistakes". Fortunately, this one's easy to turn back at whoever's saying it: "okay, if god doesn't make mistakes then he purposefully made me gay/trans. Do you think you know better than god about what I should or shouldn't be? No? Didn't think so."
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #203 on: January 11, 2015, 03:52:11 pm »
Unfortunately, UR, what I hear after that is "you're just confused and you need proper therapy".

I wish I was kidding.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #204 on: January 11, 2015, 04:02:52 pm »
Just about everything the Christian Identity movement says.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #205 on: January 11, 2015, 04:03:23 pm »
The arrogant presumption of believers that God saved them from a natural disaster. You know, they were praying hard and they got saved, unlike the other family down the block that was probably praying just as hard and got obliterated. It does nothing to address why God would pick and choose disaster victims or why the disaster was necessary in the first place with everything unfolding according to an omnipotent being's design.

The U.S. mainstream media expects this reaction -- it bugs me because it's standard post-disaster coverage.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #206 on: January 11, 2015, 07:53:51 pm »
In reference to people being gay/trans/whatever else, "God doesn't make mistakes". Fortunately, this one's easy to turn back at whoever's saying it: "okay, if god doesn't make mistakes then he purposefully made me gay/trans. Do you think you know better than god about what I should or shouldn't be? No? Didn't think so."

The other interesting angle is whether they apply the same reasoning to anything else. "I have diabetes" "I'm sorry, but that's just not possible. God doesn't make mistakes. Now give me back that insulin."
Σא

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #207 on: January 11, 2015, 08:03:15 pm »
Pretty much everything that comes out of this guy's mouth, but special mention goes to:

he was a real smart aleck. He was a bright kid, which didn’t help things — made him more dangerous.

Ben, when are you going to stop playing games with God?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q19qRUBj-ic" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q19qRUBj-ic</a>
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2015, 11:24:20 pm »
Unfortunately, UR, what I hear after that is "you're just confused and you need proper therapy".

I wish I was kidding.
That's why Leelah's Law is important - Here are two petitions should you decide to spend thirty seconds making the world suck a little less.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!