Author Topic: Erwin Schrodinger's 126th Birthday  (Read 4753 times)

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
Re: Erwin Schrodinger's 126th Birthday
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 09:31:26 am »
I always felt sorry for the cat.
I have been told that the whole point in the "cat in a box" thought experiment was to point out how ridiculous the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics was when aplied to anything bigger than an atom. After all, a cat -large multicellular life form- can only be alive or dead, no middle ground in this and not seeing the cat does not change it. (particularly since in real world things happen wether or not a human is watching)

But as usual people didn't get the joke.

It is a common mistake that is made today, even with all that has since been learned about quantum mechanics. Laws pertaining to the quantum level tend to be applied to the macroscopic level. Lord knows I have been guilty of making this mistake myself.
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 09:32:37 am »
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 10:09:31 am »
That is a damned cool image!

Yeah, I thought so, too.  Wish I could take credit for it, but it is one someone posted on facebook and I knew it just had to be posted in this thread since it tied in so well.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 12:29:26 pm »
Movie's kinda fun too, if you like gross-out comedy horror... stuff. ;)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 02:02:44 pm »
Yeah I knew that the Schrodinger's Cat "Thought Experiment" was more or less a joke/criticism.  Kinda like how Alice in Wonderland was a criticism of imaginary numbers in mathematics.  Or something to do with math, at least.

...Yeah I don't get it either.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 02:05:20 pm »
I've never heard that claim until now.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 03:43:36 pm »
I know Lewis Carrol was a mathematician, but I hadn't heard he hated the imaginary numbers. Googling, this seems a possible interpretation but not quite settled fact. Best source I can find is this.

Funnily enough, we wouldn't even be talking about Schrodinger's cat without imaginary numbers. The wavefunction, that which 'collapses' into either dead or alive cats, is complex.
Σא

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 03:55:41 pm »
I was actually talking about the claim that Schroedinger's cat was a joke, if you were responding to me.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 04:04:16 pm »
I was, but works either way as a response to Magus.
Σא