Author Topic: Cooking thread  (Read 6015 times)

Offline Aqualung

• Crazy Person Magnet
  • Apprentice
  • I don't know and neither do you!
Cooking thread
« on: January 04, 2012, 05:17:14 pm »
For FSTDT's iron chefs. Post recipes, cooking experiments or fails!

Chocolate-covered cherry cheesecake

1 Oreo pie crust
2 8-oz bars cream cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
canned cherries (not pie filling)
chocolate chips
heavy whipping cream

In a bowl, mix the cream cheese, eggs, sugar and vanilla. Pour into the Oreo crust. Drain the juice from the cherries and spoon the cherries over the cheesecake filling. Bake at 350*F for 45 minutes or until it gets puffy and slightly golden around the edges. Set aside to cool or put in refrigerator. Take about 1/2 cup chocolate chips and some heavy cream and put them in a bowl; microwave for 30 seconds, stir until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled cheesecake. Stuff face, pass out in sugar coma!
"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun." --Billy Joel

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
Re: Cooking thread
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 07:34:24 pm »
Here we go...

Sweet Potato Casserole

3 sweet potatoes, boiled until soft
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup sugar (Mom uses 2 tbsp.)
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup brown sugar

Topping:
1/8 tsp baking powder
1 cup nuts
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup softened butter

Beat potatoes, eggs, vanilla, sugar and melted butter until blended.  Pour into baking dish.  Then mix together brown sugar, baking powder, butter, nuts, flour.  Spread over potato mixture and bake at 350 degrees for 45 min.

Fettuccini Alfredo

6 oz. fettuccini noodles
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup butter
2 tbsp. chicken boullion (6 cubes)
1/2 cups Parmesan cheese
Pepper

Prepare fettuccini according to package directions.  Combine cream, butter, and boullion; simmer.  Toss mixture with hot noodles and cheese.  Sprinkle on pepper.

Tomato Sauce

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef

Tomato sauce (1 large can)

1 egg

about 1/2 cup or so of breadcrumbs

Mushrooms, fresh or canned (Optional)

1 small can tomato paste (optional, use only if you want a thicker sauce)

Extra-virgin olive oil

Garlic of some kind

Meatballs first! Cover bottom of a large saucepan in olive oil, add 1 tsp. of minced garlic (Garlic powder also works, but doesn't taste nearly as good). Combine beef, egg, breadcrumbs, and about 1 tsp of salt; mix well and roll into tight balls. I like to make mine tiny, about the size of a vending-machine High-Bounce ball, so they absorb the sauce and cook quickly. Rolling the meatballs is the most time-consuming part of the whole ordeal; if you want to save an hour or two, or you're a vegetarian, just add a bit of garlic to the sauce instead. Cook on high heat until brown.

The sauce itself:

Mix everything that wasn't used in the meatballs. Add water or olive oil to thin the sauce to the desired consistency (remember sauce will thicken slightly during cooking). Add enough salt to cover. Also add seasoning salt, oregano, or other herbs and spices to taste (remember, you'll need a fair amount, because this is a LOT of sauce). Simmer for about 3 hours, stirring occasionally.

Sauce serves about 8-10.

Blackberry Pie

Pastry for double crust pie
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp. flour
1 qt. blackberries
1 tbsp. lemon juice

Line 10" pie pan with 1/2 thin rolled crust
Combine sugar and flour.  Sprinkle 1/2 mixture over crust.
Pour on berriest and rest of sugar.
Sprinkle on juice.  Roll on dough.
Bake at 450 degrees for 15 min, then 300 degrees for 20 min.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

1 package devil's food cake mix
2 cups shredded zucchini
3 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour 13x9 inch baking pan.  Combine all cake ingredients in large mixer bowl.  Blend at low speed; increase speed to high and beat 2 min.  Pour batter evenly into prepared pan.

Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.  Cool in pan 15 min; invert and cool.

Ice with a cream cheese icing, then BASK IN THE AWESOMENESS OF ZUCCHINI CAKE.  YOU WILL EAT IT AND ENJOY IT AND NOT TASTE ZUCCHINI AT ALL.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 03:05:33 pm »
Only two entries? As a cook and food lover, this is unforgivable!

Four Seasons Satay
2 tbsp. yellow curry paste
1 cup coconut milk
½ cup sliced chicken
½ cup sliced pork1
½ cup sliced lamb1
½ cup sliced beef1
4 tsp. sugar

Mix the beef, lamb, pork, and chicken with the yellow curry paste, coconut milk, and sugar and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes. However, if you want to you can let it sit for a few hours to marinate if you’re willing to wait that long. Thread the meats into bamboo skewers and cook over a grill. Brush them with coconut milk while it’s cooking. When the meat is fully cooked, serve with massaman sauce and sour cucumber relish.

Massaman sauce: stir-fry massaman curry paste with coconut milk and add sugar and peanuts

Sour cucumber relish: bring vinegar, sugar, and salt to a boil and then set aside to cool. Put cucumbers, shallots, and chilies in a bowl and pour the syrup over it.

1. For the kosher or non-red/white meat eaters, you can make the dish more “Chinese” by replacing the pork, lamb, and beef with duck, goose/turkey, and pheasant. Of course, tofu and fish are also alternatives for pescatarians and Vegie/vegans. 

Serves one so extrapolate it for more.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline calee022

• Rebel Without a Point
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 04:28:54 pm »
Something EVERYONE should have in their freezer:

Chicken/Poultry Stock

A few chicken and/or turkey carcasses. Raw is best, but I freeze any that I have left over whenever I cook a chicken or a turkey. I will also save the carcass when I buy a Rotisserie Chicken from the store.

A Carrot or 2
A few stalks of celery

Use a heavy knife to cut the bones into chunks.
Throw everything into a large pot
Add water (I use filtered water, our city water stinks, literally)

SIMMER overnight. DON'T boil. A slow cooker is great for this.

Take out the largest pieces of bone/skin/vegetables etc with a slotted spoon.

Strain the rest through cheesecloth.

I put it back on the stove and simmer it until it is about 1/3 of the volume. It takes up less room in the freezer that way.

Let it cool in the refrigerator, then freeze.

It is a good idea to take it out of the freezer and boil it every couple of weeks. I usually do this when I make another batch, when it is ready I throw the frozen stock in and let it boil for a few minutes.

"I have an important message to deliver to all the cute people all over the world. If you're out there and you're cute, maybe you're beautiful. I just want to tell you somethin' — there's more of us UGLY MOTHERFUCKERS than you, hey-y, so watch out."  - FZ