Author Topic: California couple charged with torture and child endangerment  (Read 2449 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
California couple charged with torture and child endangerment
« on: January 19, 2018, 03:12:32 am »
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42741049

A couple in California have been charged with the torture of their thirteen children, after one escaped and alerted authorities.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/16/thirteen-siblings-found-chained-starving-california-home-say/

Apparently, the parents were "deeply religious".

Religion not only makes good people do evil things, but it also makes evil people do truly horrific things.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Art Vandelay

Re: California couple charged with torture and child endangerment
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 03:15:56 am »
Apparently, the parents were "deeply religious".
Somehow, I am not the least bit surprised.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 03:31:08 am »
Well, to use a certain shout out, with what they did I wouldn't be surprised if they were practicing Word Bearers!

These two are...well, they're sick. I recognize sickness - and in some, it brings attraction to a faith.

This sickness brings them to justify their cruelest impulses with the favors of the divine. They had to be cruel, you see, to remain in the favor of their divine lord. They're never the head, the most powerful, they cast themselves as servants, to justify this sick obsession to themselves - for if they are just doing their work as a servant, what can they be accused of?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 07:44:15 am »
I hear you niam, but might it be more parsimonious to suggest they just get their jollies off hurting kids?

I mean all that religious gunk serves a purpose, it makes them think "hey maybe I'm not just doing this because I'm a sick fuck who does this to get my rocks off, maybe I'm doing this because the line manager of a thousand billion galaxies said so-so it's really important."

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 09:42:19 am »
I hear you niam, but might it be more parsimonious to suggest they just get their jollies off hurting kids?

I mean all that religious gunk serves a purpose, it makes them think "hey maybe I'm not just doing this because I'm a sick fuck who does this to get my rocks off, maybe I'm doing this because the line manager of a thousand billion galaxies said so-so it's really important."

That's why I said religion makes evil people do horrific things.

EDIT: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/turpin-torture-background-1.4494165

Details on what they did. It's not a pleasant read.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:17:39 pm by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 04:11:28 pm »
That's just....disgusting.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 08:28:31 pm »
This is horrifying. And seeing how old some of their kids were - I can't imagine everything the 29-year-old has seen, or been through. I don't think any judge or jury is going to be particularly kind to these parents.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 03:15:51 am »
What if the judge interrupts the jury and tells them that God ordered him to say that the suspects are innocent?

Because that's apparently a thing in USA: http://www.statesman.com/news/crime--law/texas-judge-interrupts-jury-says-god-told-him-defendant-not-guilty/ZRdGbT7xPu7lc6kMMPeWKL/
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 04:27:07 am »
A friend asked me a question that I really wanna know the answer to RE: that last post. Can a Judge be held in contempt of court?
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 11:38:45 pm »
A friend asked me a question that I really wanna know the answer to RE: that last post. Can a Judge be held in contempt of court?

I don't know for sure about the US but in other common law jurisdictions, the answer is no. The contempt is towards the authority (that is the authority of the crown embodied by the Court) of the Court, which the judge cannot do. Besides which judges have judicial immunity.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 03:21:15 pm »
They can be thrown off the bench however.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 05:18:35 pm »
Yes you can be thrown off the bench. In the US depending on what type of judge you are you might lose at election too.