Author Topic: Computer component shenanigans  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Computer component shenanigans
« on: August 06, 2017, 04:30:38 am »
http://wccftech.com/first-amd-ryzen-threadripper-benchmarks/

So, uhhhh, yeah. First AMD scares Nvidia with the RX series of video cards, then Ryzen proves to be a better value than Kaby Lake for anything except 100% pure dedicated gaming rigs and now this. Reminder: Threadripper 1950x is $50 cheaper than the i9 7900X and Tom's Hardware couldn't get the 7900X to overclock without using a $1000 industrial class system cooler.

EDIT: Put "1900X" instead of "7900X." Whoops.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 10:35:35 pm by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
Re: Threadripper Early Benchmarks: Intel Is Probably Shitting Themselves
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 04:41:40 am »
Also, the threadripper is just better. 16 core/32 thread as opposed to 10 core/20 thread.

Sure the 7980EX will outclass it (18 core/34 thread) but its also $1999, and will probably have the same heating issues as the 7900X.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 04:55:14 am »
Intel processors aren't meant to be overclocked.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 05:02:18 am »

The i9 is. We're looking at enthusiast grade chips here. If you want a chip that isn't meant to be overclocked, you're not looking at the x299 platform.

AMD is on a roll here. If Vega can live up to the hype and match Nvidia's higher class gaming cards, we're likely to see an arms race and that will drive prices down and force innovation. Hell, we're likely to see that even if Vega fails to live up to the hype. This is a very good thing.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 05:07:51 am »
Since y'all are talking about processors, I hope you don't mind if I ask, but you said the Ryzen series is apparently a really good value. Does this include the Ryzen 1600? I've been looking at that processor as a highly viable option for the computer I plan to build later this month.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 05:13:41 am »

The i9 is. We're looking at enthusiast grade chips here. If you want a chip that isn't meant to be overclocked, you're not looking at the x299 platform.

Fair enough. My guess then is that Intel has for so long been making chips that aren't meant to be overclocked that when they decided to make one that is, they couldn't do it right.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 06:05:06 am »
Don't mind me,  just a caveman who does not understand any of this.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 06:29:26 am »
Ok, Askold, I'll sum things up for you. AMD has been behind for a long time. Intel has essentially had no competition. They got complacent, stopped innovating, stopped making things as good as they could have. AMD saw their opportunity, made something really good for once, and its a lot better than the more expensive comparable product Intel made earlier this year.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 11:13:05 am »
Well fuck, looks like I'm going to need to revise my plans for my future rig, codenamed Saitama.

(I always go AMD, anyway, this is just gonna mess with the configuration a bit.)
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 08:52:51 pm »
Since y'all are talking about processors, I hope you don't mind if I ask, but you said the Ryzen series is apparently a really good value. Does this include the Ryzen 1600? I've been looking at that processor as a highly viable option for the computer I plan to build later this month.

So, funny you ask that today since Digital Foundry just did an overview comparing Ryzen 5 1600, Ryzen 5 1600X and Core i5 7600K.

In short, the 1600 appears to have the best price/performance ratio thanks to it coming with a surprisingly nice CPU cooler and only being a touch less powerful than the 1600X. Plus Intel appears to be abandoning the H270 and Z270 platforms, despite Coffee Lake continuing to use the LGA 1151 slot (thanks for the brickwall after I get my 7700k in, Intel!), so Ryzen uses more futureproof motherboards than Core. It also doesn't help that the Ryzen chips beat the i5 in the majority of applications.

Technically speaking, the i5 7600K beats out Ryzen 5 in terms of gaming performance, but unless you're insane or really like CPU bottlenecks for some bizarre reason, you're going to be pairing a chip in this price range with something between a GTX 1050Ti/RX 560 and a GTX 1070/RX Vega 56 (really, I'd say go for the happy medium of either an RX 570, RX 580 or GTX 1060), which means that any game where the CPU will make a significant difference will probably be bottlenecked on the GPU anyway.
Who needs a signature?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 08:46:26 am »
So, you're telling me I could run modded Mincraft at around 15 FPS instead of just 8?

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 11:34:50 pm »
Man, with this, you might hit 20 fps.
Who needs a signature?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 08:24:35 am »
Well fuck, I think I might need to file charges against AMD, seeing as they're gonna give me an erection lasting longer than four hours.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 06:32:19 pm »
So early reports are saying that RX Vega 56 is pretty much on par with the GTX 1070. Some people are upset about this, but this is what should have been expected. AMD has made no illusion that Vega was supposed to surpass the 1070 and 1080, just that they were supposed to be competitive with them. The benchmark results are pretty much identical to what I expected. Some games have Vega 56 performing better, others have the 1070 performing better. Just like how the RX 480/580 compares the GTX 1060.

Still, having a card on the market that more or less matches performance and price with Nvidia is a good thing. It means that consumers have options if they're looking at cards in that range. Now we just have to wait and see how Vega 64 compares to the GTX 1080.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 08:23:47 pm »
So we've got a bit of news lately. First of all, Skylake-X continues to be a fucking joke.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/intel-core-i9-7960x-review/

The i9-7960X has a MASSIVE jump in performance of......... 20% over Threadripper 1950X. For 80% more money. And it still has the 7900X's thermal issues.

I don't really think I can add anything with just how bad the Skylake-X lineup has been. AMD is eating Intel's lunch here.

More interestingly, however, we have the first Coffee Lake reviews. Intel finally switches to six cores, 12 threads with the new i7s. Well, at the very least, we finally have an Intel release that isn't laughable or nearly pointless.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/10/intel-coffee-lake-8700k-review/

The good: The extra cores means that it is a legitimate upgrade from Kaby Lake, which had an average of about 8% increased performance from Sky Lake, but Ryzen still beats it out in most multi-thread applications. It closes the gap somewhat, but we're still looking at Ryzen being a better choice for multi-threaded performance and Core being a better choice for single-threaded performance. At least now we have legitimate competition.

The bad: Thanks for giving me literally no upgrade path, Intel. Glad to see you don't care about futureproofing. Coffee Lake does not support Sky Lake or Kaby Lake motherboards. Now, you might think it's because it uses a new socket and physically wouldn't fit in older boards. Nope. It still uses the LGA 1151 socket. So they've basically told anyone looking to buy to buy AMD if they care about long term support.

Less importantly, I've seen inconsistent reports of thermal efficiency. Power consumption is higher, but that's not a surprise for a chip that has more cores and was probably rushed out a bit faster than it should have (remember, Kaby Lake came out in January). The prices are a bit silly. They're asking for $170... for the i3-8350k. For comparison, the i3-7320k, the Kaby Lake equivalent, is only $130. Granted, that's the most extreme price jump, but the prices are increased across the board for the most part.

All in all, this is a good release, so long as you don't care about being brickwalled in a year or two. Now I'm curious what next generation Ryzen is going to look like.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 08:31:44 pm by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?